News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cl94

Well, seeing this at night was a pleasant surprise. I thought Region 1 got rid of every button copy gore sign. Unless there's something I'm missing, this and the overhead assembly just west of the toll booths at Exit 24 are the only remaining button copy on mainline I-87 outside of the Bronx.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Buffaboy

Quote from: cl94 on February 06, 2016, 08:35:16 PM
Well, seeing this at night was a pleasant surprise. I thought Region 1 got rid of every button copy gore sign. Unless there's something I'm missing, this and the overhead assembly just west of the toll booths at Exit 24 are the only remaining button copy on mainline I-87 outside of the Bronx.

Are those the only button copy signs Upstate?
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

NYhwyfan

Quote from: Buffaboy on February 07, 2016, 03:08:59 PM

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9993478,-78.8064717,3a,75y,280.33h,72.35t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sJvcqsfF9SPqVskUHvG40fQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656 

I-990 SB to I-290 WB

machias

Oh no. There's quite a few button copy signs in the Utica area. I-790 has an even mix of button and non-button copy signs. They date back to the reconstruction in 1989.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1180292,-75.2206995,3a,75y,109.55h,82.28t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sZ9CC63_LySOXHJqNNjXE0w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

cl94

Quote from: upstatenyroads on February 07, 2016, 04:31:57 PM

Oh no. There's quite a few button copy signs in the Utica area. I-790 has an even mix of button and non-button copy signs. They date back to the reconstruction in 1989.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1180292,-75.2206995,3a,75y,109.55h,82.28t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sZ9CC63_LySOXHJqNNjXE0w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

There's even one or two on the Thruway mainline in Utica.

R1 has a couple on ramps at/around the circle stack, but other than the two aforementioned signs, I know of nothing else. They flushed out almost all of the button copy by 2002 or so. Back around the turn of the century, there was a LOT of button copy here, along with many state name shields. Thruway had a couple more at Exit 24 that were taken out with the widening.

Region 5 has a surprising amount as well. A lot of it was taken out during mass sign replacements over the past 3-4 years, but it has most of NYSTA's remaining button copy signs, including what is almost certainly the oldest in the system.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Buffaboy

I never even noticed!! Probably because I don't drive around the area very much, esp. at night.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

Buffaboy

Quote from: cl94 on February 07, 2016, 04:50:42 PM

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1193943,-75.2238471,3a,15.1y,118.41h,102.97t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s5udMxkZ1xEsKjtIZenmbPg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

cl94

Quote from: Buffaboy on February 07, 2016, 05:53:41 PM
Quote from: cl94 on February 07, 2016, 04:50:42 PM

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1193943,-75.2238471,3a,15.1y,118.41h,102.97t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s5udMxkZ1xEsKjtIZenmbPg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

There is another at the exit itself. Only 2 button copy signs on EB I-90 in New York and the only ones on the EB/SB Thruway.

vdeane

Last I checked, the NY 104 EB signs for Hard Rd were still button copy.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

SignBridge

Here it seems so weird to me that everybody's talking about the last button-copy signs. You guys should have been around thirty years ago for the last of the Thruway's big blue exit signs from the original 1950's construction. LOL

cl94

Quote from: SignBridge on February 07, 2016, 08:28:18 PM
Here it seems so weird to me that everybody's talking about the last button-copy signs. You guys should have been around thirty years ago for the last of the Thruway's big blue exit signs from the original 1950's construction. LOL

I've seen the pictures. This is probably one of the early green signs to be installed, though. Probably dates back to well before the last of the blue was gone.

Sam

As I recall in the early '70s there was a small dark green sign in that spot that said "PENNA STATE LINE 70 MILES" although from there it should be 75 or 76 miles.

machias

Quote from: cl94 on February 07, 2016, 08:33:08 PM
Quote from: SignBridge on February 07, 2016, 08:28:18 PM

I've seen the pictures. This is probably one of the early green signs to be installed, though. Probably dates back to well before the last of the blue was gone.

That sign was installed in 1987.  Before that was an all button copy sign on green.  Any big blue signs had been replaced/repainted with dark green. 

ROUTE 98
Batavia
EXIT 48    1 MILE

was dark green in 1987.

cl94

Has anybody else noticed that Region 2's diagonal striping looks...different? Take a look at this image. Standard cross-hatching is present on the Thruway and Region 2's standard is on the surface streets. Is there a reason why R2 uses thinner stripes spaced closer together than is normal?

Rothman

Quote from: cl94 on February 08, 2016, 09:30:02 PM
Has anybody else noticed that Region 2's diagonal striping looks...different? Take a look at this image. Standard cross-hatching is present on the Thruway and Region 2's standard is on the surface streets. Is there a reason why R2 uses thinner stripes spaced closer together than is normal?

We don't give them enough money to do a proper job. :D

(j/k)
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

cl94

I-390 is getting a major reconstruction between Exits 2 and 3 with some long-term ramp closures. Unlike in many parts of the state, the ramps have reference markers. Plans are here.

WNYroadgeek

Official: Scajaquada Expressway (NY 198) to be converted to a boulevard: https://twitter.com/NYSDOTBuffalo/status/697576414791467009

noelbotevera

Quote from: WNYroadgeek on February 10, 2016, 07:33:23 PM
Official: Scajaquada Expressway (NY 198) to be converted to a boulevard: https://twitter.com/NYSDOTBuffalo/status/697576414791467009
New Urbanists....

yeah this is their work at their worst. Basically they just think every freeway should not have been invented.... :banghead:
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

vdeane

Has Mr. Driscoll ever seen the traffic counts on that road?  It ranges from 38k on the low end to 71k on the high end.  Those are peaceful, walkable boulevard traffic counts.  Those are traffic counts in line with urban freeways and congested suburban arterials lined with strip malls.  I'd rather cross the road at an overpass than a crosswalk anyways.

Given his position here, I guess we can count on I-81 getting torn down as well.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cl94

Quote from: vdeane on February 10, 2016, 09:02:25 PM
Has Mr. Driscoll ever seen the traffic counts on that road?  It ranges from 38k on the low end to 71k on the high end.  Those are peaceful, walkable boulevard traffic counts.  Those are traffic counts in line with urban freeways and congested suburban arterials lined with strip malls.  I'd rather cross the road at an overpass than a crosswalk anyways.

Given his position here, I guess we can count on I-81 getting torn down as well.

Money. Campaign donors live in that neighborhood.

Buffaboy

Quote from: WNYroadgeek on February 10, 2016, 07:33:23 PM

F*cking A :banghead:.

never will i ever drive on that road again

While we're at it, let's take down the Skyway and the 190 because of the same reasons. Right?

Incredible how nobody talks about how the 33 can be put under a lid, but this is priority #1

Duke87

This decision was no doubt inevitable after the incident last year where a kid got killed by a car that ran off the road. The reaction to that gave us a section with a 30 MPH speed limit and crosswalks, so now the ball is already rolling on making the route not a freeway anymore. The current situation can't remain as is since having that sort of segment on what's otherwise a freeway is a safety nightmare unto itself. At this point finishing what's already been started and downgrading the whole route is politically easier than backpedaling and restoring the speed limit/removing the crosswalks.

I don't really think this will have a major impact on traffic in Buffalo. Traffic that can reasonably divert to 290 will do so, traffic which cannot will continue using 198 and the trip will take a few minutes longer, and a few trips will be cancelled or diverted to different destinations as people adjust their travel patterns to account for the freeway's absence.

As to whether this is any indication as to what will happen with I-81 or the Sheridan, who knows. Those projects are different in scope and have different stakeholders. One thing is for certain, though: this will get added to the list of successful freeway removals, which are only going to become more popular in the coming years as the concept becomes more proven.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

cl94

Quote from: Duke87 on February 11, 2016, 07:05:00 PM
This decision was no doubt inevitable after the incident last year where a kid got killed by a car that ran off the road. The reaction to that gave us a section with a 30 MPH speed limit and crosswalks, so now the ball is already rolling on making the route not a freeway anymore.

I don't really think this will have a major impact on traffic in Buffalo. Traffic that can reasonably divert to 290 will do so, traffic which cannot will continue using 198 and the trip will take a few minutes longer, and a few trips will be cancelled or diverted to different destinations as people adjust their travel patterns to account for the freeway's absence.

As to whether this is any indication as to what will happen with I-81 or the Sheridan, who knows. Those projects are different in scope and have different stakeholders. One thing is for certain, though: this will get added to the list of successful freeway removals, which are only going to become more popular in the coming years as the concept becomes more proven.

It's also important to note that this was high up on the list of freeways that were most likely to be removed. Prior to the accident, the plan was to make it an expressway, keeping the major grade separations but not full control of access. People in power have wanted it gone since it was built. Buffalo also isn't growing, either. The area population is only remaining constant because of immigration and, unless things change, I expect a major population loss when the baby boomers start dying out because the median age there is quite high.

vdeane

Quote from: Duke87 on February 11, 2016, 07:05:00 PM
This decision was no doubt inevitable after the incident last year where a kid got killed by a car that ran off the road. The reaction to that gave us a section with a 30 MPH speed limit and crosswalks, so now the ball is already rolling on making the route not a freeway anymore. The current situation can't remain as is since having that sort of segment on what's otherwise a freeway is a safety nightmare unto itself. At this point finishing what's already been started and downgrading the whole route is politically easier than backpedaling and restoring the speed limit/removing the crosswalks.

The crosswalks never actually got built... Region 5 backed out at the last minute as they were in bad locations (one was right on top of an overpass with sidewalks), even going so far as to remove the paths the paved to go to the crosswalks.

People are already diverting to local streets because, contrary to urbanist expectations, driving 30 on a residential street is a lot less painful than driving 30 on a major arterial.  The residents on those streets are NOT happy.

Rothman

Quote from: vdeane on February 11, 2016, 10:28:39 PM

People are already diverting to local streets because, contrary to urbanist expectations, driving 30 on a residential street is a lot less painful than driving 30 on a major arterial.  The residents on those streets are NOT happy.

Where'd you hear this?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.