News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Ohio

Started by iBallasticwolf2, August 29, 2015, 08:18:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dave19

The Wheels of Tragedy video posted upthread reminds me of the time in driver ed class (which would have been around 1973 or '74) when the teacher showed us Signal 30, which also featured the OHP. Signal 30 predated WoT by 4 years.

route17fan

The only reason for posting the Wheels of Tragedy video was just for the purposes of old signs - I had never seen them (the films) before and was just impressed with the old cutouts and old shields contained. I think my school system deemed them too graphic though to be shown.
John Krakoff - Cleveland, Ohio

6a

On the subject of the I-70 widening, I've noticed the portable message signs approaching the work zone showing the traffic speed. I'd not noticed that elsewhere and it seems like a nice touch, if not terribly accurate.

vtk

Another new traffic light coming to US 23 in Delaware

http://www.thisweeknews.com/content/stories/delaware/news/2015/12/18/intersections-upgrade-will-give-drivers-more-options.html

This is a downgrade of the northern Sandusky Street half-interchange.  Apparently the southbound exit ramp will be converted to a two-way extension of Sandusky Street, which will meet US 23 at a traffic light.  The northbound entrance ramp will remain.

This just adds to the case for a proper new-alignment freeway route through Delaware County that the powers that be aren't even considering.  See also fictional I-171.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Buck87

^ Well that's just great. And it's far enough north that it also affects those that choose to take 37/36 over to 71.

6a

Is anyone else using these bike route signs? Saw this in Newark a couple days ago.

Rothman

A variation in KY (I'm still blown away by the fact they put a bike route across KY 1091 and KY 122):

https://goo.gl/maps/WPGPewEgneS2
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

silverback1065

Quote from: Rothman on December 30, 2015, 01:24:45 PM
A variation in KY (I'm still blown away by the fact they put a bike route across KY 1091 and KY 122):

aren't these basically stitched together county and state roads across the country?  Not many are separated from traffic from what I've seen.  Indiana hasn't signed any of their proposed routes (35, 50, 20, and a few more) yet

Buck87

^ a lot of them will probably be on streets, though they will follow bike trails where applicable. For example I know that most of the North Coast Inland Trail in north central Ohio will become part of the US bike route 30

Rothman

Quote from: silverback1065 on December 30, 2015, 01:39:16 PM

aren't these basically stitched together county and state roads across the country?  Not many are separated from traffic from what I've seen.  Indiana hasn't signed any of their proposed routes (35, 50, 20, and a few more) yet

Absolutely.  Not separated from traffic; just routes on roads. 

The 76 route I posted had something to do with the Bicentennial, even.  Bizarre.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hbelkins

The first two national bike routes were USBR 1 and USBR 76. There are a few old white-on-green unnumbered Bike Route signs left in Kentucky, but District 12 (including Pike, Floyd and Knott counties) is the only place I know of in Kentucky where USBR 76 is fully signed. It's certainly not signed in my district.

As for the choice of routes, they've tried to keep the bike route off major highways. It comes into Kentucky on KY 80. It does use a portion of US 23, but for the most part it stays on lesser routes. If I'm not mistaken, I drove across KY 1091 as a cut-across between KY 122 and KY 7. It's a pretty steep mountain crossing, but I'll bet the ADT on that route is minuscule. There really was no other good way to get from one valley to the other without going up 122 all the way to 80 and then back over to 7, or else staying on 197 to Jenkins and then using 805 and a couple of other routes to connect to 7 in Letcher County.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Buck87

Saw something a bit odd yesterday on one of the many "To Ohio Turnpike" signs in Northern Ohio....the ones at the US 20/OH 51 intersection near Elmore now have a yellow "TOLL" banner between the "TO" banner and the turnpike shield.

First time I've see that. Thought it seemed kind of redundant, as "Ohio Turnpike" seems pretty self explanatory.

Anyone else seen that setup elsewhere? It'll be interesting to see if more of them turn up.

Rothman

Quote from: hbelkins on December 30, 2015, 11:49:14 PM

The first two national bike routes were USBR 1 and USBR 76. There are a few old white-on-green unnumbered Bike Route signs left in Kentucky, but District 12 (including Pike, Floyd and Knott counties) is the only place I know of in Kentucky where USBR 76 is fully signed. It's certainly not signed in my district.

As for the choice of routes, they've tried to keep the bike route off major highways. It comes into Kentucky on KY 80. It does use a portion of US 23, but for the most part it stays on lesser routes. If I'm not mistaken, I drove across KY 1091 as a cut-across between KY 122 and KY 7. It's a pretty steep mountain crossing, but I'll bet the ADT on that route is minuscule. There really was no other good way to get from one valley to the other without going up 122 all the way to 80 and then back over to 7, or else staying on 197 to Jenkins and then using 805 and a couple of other routes to connect to 7 in Letcher County.

As I've said before, my grandparents lived on KY 122 in Wheelwright; I visited them frequently.  Never saw a bicycle on KY 122 in all my time spent in Floyd County. :D

abefroman329

Quote from: Buck87 on January 01, 2016, 12:40:07 PM
Thought it seemed kind of redundant, as "Ohio Turnpike" seems pretty self explanatory.

Not necessarily.  There are numerous roads in the DC area called turnpikes that do not charge a toll.

GCrites

Yes, but they probably used to. Most roads with the word "pike" in them charged tolls at one time.

vtk

Does anyone know why the US 30 expressway between Upper Sandusky and Bucyrus has such an elevated profile? It's bizarre, rising up 40 or more feet above the surrounding farmland, as if to clear a nonexistent railroad, then comes back down to ground level to intersect a county road, then mysteriously up again...

Buck87

Quote from: vtk on January 06, 2016, 01:10:35 PM
Does anyone know why the US 30 expressway between Upper Sandusky and Bucyrus has such an elevated profile? It's bizarre, rising up 40 or more feet above the surrounding farmland, as if to clear a nonexistent railroad, then comes back down to ground level to intersect a county road, then mysteriously up again...

Huh, not too familiar with that part, only been on it once. Though I have diven under it at Marion-Melmore Rd a bunch of times and just figured the high profile in that area was due to crossing multiple roads in that immediate area

On the topic of US 30, I see Google Maps now shows it as freeway orange from Upper all the way to Convoy, even though that section has at grade intersections. Kind of hard to figure out how they decide what gets the orange vs yellow, as there is a very similar section of US 23 around Marion with limited at grade intersections that is still yellow. And then on US 24 there there's a section west of Defiance to Indiana with at grade intersections that is orange and a section between Defiance and Napoleon with at grade intersections that is yellow.

Maybe the speed limit has something to do with it? I know 23 around Marion is 65. Not sure about 24 (other than I'm pretty sure it was 65 when I was on it last). 30 used to be 65, but I did post on another thread about seeing an article stating that it was going to 70 from Indiana all the way to Mansfield (except for the Upper Sandusky bypass)

PurdueBill

Quote from: Buck87 on January 06, 2016, 04:04:16 PM
Quote from: vtk on January 06, 2016, 01:10:35 PM

Huh, not too familiar with that part, only been on it once. Though I have diven under it at Marion-Melmore Rd a bunch of times and just figured the high profile in that area was due to crossing multiple roads in that immediate area

On the topic of US 30, I see Google Maps now shows it as freeway orange from Upper all the way to Convoy, even though that section has at grade intersections. Kind of hard to figure out how they decide what gets the orange vs yellow, as there is a very similar section of US 23 around Marion with limited at grade intersections that is still yellow. And then on US 24 there there's a section west of Defiance to Indiana with at grade intersections that is orange and a section between Defiance and Napoleon with at grade intersections that is yellow.

Maybe the speed limit has something to do with it? I know 23 around Marion is 65. Not sure about 24 (other than I'm pretty sure it was 65 when I was on it last). 30 used to be 65, but I did post on another thread about seeing an article stating that it was going to 70 from Indiana all the way to Mansfield (except for the Upper Sandusky bypass)

It is indeed 70 now all the way from the Indiana line to Mansfield, except for the overlap with US 23's Upper Sandusky bypass, which is still 65.  It is a boon for trucks who originally were limited to 55 on that road to have gone to 65 and now 70 on the toll-free roads, especially with 30 being not a bad shunpike.

It is somewhat odd that Ohio has become so much more liberal with speed limits than Indiana.  Roads like US 30 from Paulding to Richland Counties that have 70 MPH limits in Ohio top out at 60 in Indiana, and Indiana still has the split limit for trucks.  Somehow never thought that Ohio would be so much more liberal with speed limits.

cjw2001

Quote from: Buck87 on January 06, 2016, 04:04:16 PM

There are two categories that display as Orange on Google Maps, Expressway and Freeway.

Freeways cannot have any at grade intersections, only interchanges.

Expressways can be a mix of at grade intersections and interchanges.

The full definition can be found here.

Buck87

^ going by the definition in that link, I don't see why US 23 from just north of the OH 231 interchange north of Marion to the OH 229 intersection south of Waldo isn't an expressway. It's a 20 mile section that has 6 interchanges, only 3 at grade intersections, and a 65 mph speed limit. Perhaps no one has tried upgrading it?

As for the US 24 example mentioned above, I can see that one now. The Napoleon-Defiance section does have a much higher frequency of at grades than Defiance-Indiana.

vtk

Quote from: Buck87 on January 19, 2016, 07:30:42 PM
^ going by the definition in that link, I don't see why US 23 from just north of the OH 231 interchange north of Marion to the OH 229 intersection south of Waldo isn't an expressway. It's a 20 mile section that has 6 interchanges, only 3 at grade intersections, and a 65 mph speed limit.

As far as I'm concerned, US 23 is an expressway from the Delaware — Marion County line to where it exits itself at Carey.

Buck87

Quote from: vtk on January 19, 2016, 11:46:21 PM
Quote from: Buck87 on January 19, 2016, 07:30:42 PM
^ going by the definition in that link, I don't see why US 23 from just north of the OH 231 interchange north of Marion to the OH 229 intersection south of Waldo isn't an expressway. It's a 20 mile section that has 6 interchanges, only 3 at grade intersections, and a 65 mph speed limit.

As far as I'm concerned, US 23 is an expressway from the Delaware — Marion County line to where it exits itself at Carey.

I would tend to agree, but since the google definition says that "(at grade) intersections should be relatively rare and widely spaced" I didn't include the OH 231 to OH 199 section because it has 7 at grade intersections in a 7 mile stretch, including one with a state route.

I just now submitted an upgrade in map maker for the section from the first at grade intersection north of 231 to the Delaware County line, so I guess we'll see how that goes.

silverback1065

are there any real plans to upgrade us 23 to toledo to an interstate standard road?  Kind of weird that there isn't a freeway link there already. 

Buck87

Quote from: silverback1065 on January 20, 2016, 11:25:07 AM
are there any real plans to upgrade us 23 to toledo to an interstate standard road?  Kind of weird that there isn't a freeway link there already.

Not much reason to do 23 from Carey to Toledo, as that traffic already uses OH 15 to I-75, and there are plans to redo the 75/15 interchange and widen 75 from there all the way to Toledo (the widening from the north side of Findlay to Perrysburg is already under construction)

The real problem in the Toledo-Columbus corridor is Delaware County, where US 23 is highly developed and the only good workarounds involve cutting over to I-71 on either 2 lane roads or an also well developed 36-37 corridor that you must first traverse Delaware city streets to get to.

Buck87

Well, this is kinda odd. My submission to upgrade the northbound carriageway of 23 to expressway in Marion County went through almost immediately. But the submission for the southbound carriageway is still pending.

So right now if you zoom in close enough on the map, 23 north is orange while 23 south is still yellow.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.