News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Huntsville

Started by Real Life Guitar Hero, January 26, 2009, 02:35:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

codyg1985

^ Nice shot of the overpass construction at AL 53.

I think the next plan is to extend the outer lanes from east of Pulaski Pike to US 231/431 (Memorial Pkwy). I don't know if you could tell, but surveyors have staked out the center line for the future outer lanes between US 231/431 and the end of the four-lane. In a lot of places, the center line shared the center line of Bob Wade Lane.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

jdb1234

codyg1985

The city of Huntsville hired a consultant to look at interchange improvements to the I-565/Al 255 interchange near the US Space and Rocket Center. Currently there is a partial cloverleaf with a flyover ramp from WB I-565 to SB AL 255 heading into Redstone Arsenal. There are three other loop ramps, and a C/D road for EB I-565 traffic coming and going from AL 255.

The plan basically calls for a $108 Million stack interchange with all loops to be replaced with direct connector ramps. One question I have is whether the consultant looked at direct connector ramps between I-565 and Old Madison Pike which parallels I-565 to the north and has the new Bridge Street Shopping Mall. Even with the direct flyovers between AL 255 and I-565, without any improvements with the Old Madison Pike interchange, there will still be backups along AL 255 and any ramps that come from I-565 going north on AL 255.

Perhaps the consultant should look at something similar to what the Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development did for the I-10/Causeway Blvd/Veterans Memorial Blvd interchange in Metairie, LA.
Cody Goodman

jdb1234

Quote from: codyg1985 on June 29, 2011, 07:55:31 AM
The city of Huntsville hired a consultant to look at interchange improvements to the I-565/Al 255 interchange near the US Space and Rocket Center. Currently there is a partial cloverleaf with a flyover ramp from WB I-565 to SB AL 255 heading into Redstone Arsenal. There are three other loop ramps, and a C/D road for EB I-565 traffic coming and going from AL 255.

In other words, this interchange has stayed the same since it was built back in the 1960s.

The plan basically calls for a $108 Million stack interchange with all loops to be replaced with direct connector ramps. One question I have is whether the consultant looked at direct connector ramps between I-565 and Old Madison Pike which parallels I-565 to the north and has the new Bridge Street Shopping Mall. Even with the direct flyovers between AL 255 and I-565, without any improvements with the Old Madison Pike interchange, there will still be backups along AL 255 and any ramps that come from I-565 going north on AL 255.

I agree with you here, some improvements to the AL 255/Old Madison Pike are needed and maybe some improvements to the Madison Blvd interchange just west of there.

I wonder why they compared the proposed interchange to Malfunction Junction here in Birmingham, Huntsville already has a comparable interchange in I-565 @ Memorial Parkway.

codyg1985

Quote from: jdb1234 on June 30, 2011, 12:19:47 AM
In other words, this interchange has stayed the same since it was built back in the 1960s.

Correct.

Quote from: jdb1234 on June 30, 2011, 12:19:47 AM
I agree with you here, some improvements to the AL 255/Old Madison Pike are needed and maybe some improvements to the Madison Blvd interchange just west of there.

I wonder why they compared the proposed interchange to Malfunction Junction here in Birmingham, Huntsville already has a comparable interchange in I-565 @ Memorial Parkway.

I don't really know if there are any improvements needed for the Madison Blvd interchange other than maybe a braided ramp if the ramps from Research Park Blvd (AL 255) going west on I-565 are long enough.

I think it was a mistake comparing the improvements to Malfunction Junction or to I-40/65 in Nashville. That conjured up a lot of negative feedback. In reality, it would probably look more like the I-65/459 and the I-65/440 interchanges in Birmingham and Nashville, respectively.

At least the I-565/Memorial Pkwy interchange doesn't have left exits. I think the loop from Mem'l Pkwy NB to I-565 WB should be converted to a flyover and then the ramp from I-565 EB to Mem'l Pkwy SB should be widened and straightened. Every day there is a backup onto I-565 for that exit.
Cody Goodman

jdb1234

Quote from: codyg1985 on June 30, 2011, 07:25:32 AM
I don't really know if there are any improvements needed for the Madison Blvd interchange other than maybe a braided ramp if the ramps from Research Park Blvd (AL 255) going west on I-565 are long enough.

That is what I was thinking of.

I think it was a mistake comparing the improvements to Malfunction Junction or to I-40/65 in Nashville. That conjured up a lot of negative feedback. In reality, it would probably look more like the I-65/459 and the I-65/440 interchanges in Birmingham and Nashville, respectively.

Because of the nearby rail line, I pictured it looking similar to the under construction I-65/I-22 interchange in Birmingham.

At least the I-565/Memorial Pkwy interchange doesn't have left exits. I think the loop from Mem'l Pkwy NB to I-565 WB should be converted to a flyover and then the ramp from I-565 EB to Mem'l Pkwy SB should be widened and straightened. Every day there is a backup onto I-565 for that exit.

When I was in Huntsville back in May, I had to use both ramps and I had forgotten how tight both of them are.  It doesn't help matters with the ramp from I-565 EB to Memorial Parkway SB that it goes over a railroad crossing with Holmes Avenue. 

jdb1234

Arrived in Huntsville earlier today for the weekend.  Did not see a whole lot of changes from May.  Planning to see the progress on the new bridge on Clinton Avenue downtown at some point while I am here

codyg1985

^ The Clinton Ave bridge should be ready to open in about a month or so. Lots of resurfacing projects are ongoing around the county on major routes. Which areas are you checking out?
Cody Goodman

jdb1234

^ Not sure yet, attending event at the VBCC this weekend.  Probably going to check out US 72 from AL 255 to Memorial Pkwy at some point while I am here.

jdb1234

Noticed several clearview signs on I-565 westbound on my way home this afternoon.

codyg1985

With all of this talk of the newly proposed $7 Billion toll road to criss cross West Alabama, here is story from 1993 that talks about a proposed toll bridge that would connect Huntsville with Cullman via Somerville. It would have crossed the Tennessee River around Triana, AL by way of Wall Triana Hwy.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1842&dat=19890104&id=gsUhAAAAIBAJ&sjid=i50FAAAAIBAJ&pg=1664,616092
Cody Goodman

codyg1985

Huntsville city councilman pushes completion of Northern Bypass from Pulaski Pike to US 231/431 and eventually, US 72 east (even though the article mentions Moores Mill Rd, it will continue past there):

http://blog.al.com/breaking/2011/10/huntsville_councilman_richard.html
Cody Goodman

jdb1234

codyg1985

^ I will be surprised to see that finished, just like the widening of Winchester Rd on the other side of the county. Still, at least progres is being made with the current stretch being widened. There was a ROW issue with the current segment. One of the property owners along the route didn't want to settle with ALDOT to sell their property, so it went to court. I think the court ended up ruling in favor of ALDOT.
Cody Goodman

codyg1985

There has been another public meeting on the interchange of US 72 with Moores Mill Rd and Shields Rd. I have composed a blog post discussing the design and some of my recommendations on how to improve it. I haven't seen any newspaper or media stories on the public meeting yet.
Cody Goodman

jdb1234

Opening of Memorial Parkway overpasses at Max Luther, Sparkman Drives to relieve traffic congestion:

http://blog.al.com/breaking/2012/04/opening_of_memorial_parkway_ov.html

I may have to check this out if I visit Huntsville next month.

codyg1985

They had the northbound lanes opened yesterday but they were still working on the southbound lanes (tying the new road to the existing road by milling and leveling).

It is really nice for those of us that live north of town. Now if they would put overpasses at Mastin Lake and Winchester.
Cody Goodman

froggie

So if I'm reading this right, this will technically extend the freeway section on Memorial to north of Sparkman.

codyg1985

Quote from: froggie on April 11, 2012, 11:06:22 AM
So if I'm reading this right, this will technically extend the freeway section on Memorial to north of Sparkman.

That's correct. It will end just shy of Mastin Lake Rd.
Cody Goodman

codyg1985

Both northbound and southbound lanes of the new overpasses are now open. Some corrections need to be made northbound just south of Mastin Lake Rd where the service road merges in with the main lanes. I'm sure that will be taken care as part of the remaining work to be done.

The next set of overpasses/service roads to be built along Memorial Pkwy will be between Martin Rd and Whitesburg Drive, filling in the gap in freeway there. Demo and right of way have already taken place for this project, but I don't think construction on the service roads will start until 2014 or 2015.
Cody Goodman

jdb1234

I-565 exit numbers changed for County Line Road, airport, Wall Triana Highway:

http://blog.al.com/breaking/2012/04/i-565_exit_numbers_changed_for.html

rickmastfan67

Quote from: jdb1234 on April 27, 2012, 09:38:59 AM
I-565 exit numbers changed for County Line Road, airport, Wall Triana Highway:

http://blog.al.com/breaking/2012/04/i-565_exit_numbers_changed_for.html

Thanks for posting that.  I've just fixed them in OSM. ;)

jdb1234

Found out earlier this evening that I will be in Huntsville this upcoming weekend.  How bad is Memorial Parkway at rush hour?  Also planning to check out the new overpasses on Memorial Parkway north of town at some point.

codyg1985

The limited access portions of Memorial Pkwy (locals just call it the parkway) north of US 72 and south of Governors Drive, for the most part, flow pretty well. They are jammed with cars, but barring an accident, it keeps flowing. Either end of the limited access portions of the parkway (Mastin Lake Rd on the north end; Blvd South on the south end) can be bottlenecks during afternoon rush hour.

The limited access portion of the parkway between US 72/University Drive and US 431/Governors Drive can be a pain. Some bottlenecks are: the ramp from I-565 east to the parkway south, the parkway north to I-565 west, the parkway north to US 72 west; I-565 east to the parkway north. There is a lot of merging going on in this area over a very short distance. Accidents happen all the time in this area too, which obviously ties up traffic even more. It surprises me that there has been no talk of revamping this portion of the parkway. It carries over 110,000 vehicles per day, more than any stretch of I-565.
Cody Goodman

jdb1234

I'm guessing then that it would be easier to go all the way down University Drive (US 72) and get on Memorial Parkway southbound there.  My destination is in south Huntsville and I am staying near UAH.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.