News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Pennsylvania

Started by Alex, March 07, 2009, 07:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr_Northside

Quote from: sbeaver44 on February 03, 2023, 08:08:09 PM
Anyway, on this subject, what's the deal with Western PA doing the "Exit A"  and "Exit B"  with no number like on the Indiana Bypass?

That's just to identify the different ramps in the single cloverleaf interchange.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

BrianP

Quote from: sbeaver44 on February 03, 2023, 08:08:09 PM
Anyway, on this subject, what's the deal with Western PA doing the "Exit A"  and "Exit B"  with no number like on the Indiana Bypass?
I think it's labelled for signs like this:
https://goo.gl/maps/99Ga9MHV2KYa25748
I'd rather that sign say 'use 119 south'.

The Ghostbuster

Maybe the exits on US 422W (and other highways without exit numbers) should get numbered. Then the exits would be numbered 61A and 61B.

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

74/171FAN

CE Expert System:

(For PA 160 in District 9)  (Bridge Replacement 1 and 2)
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

I drove PA 272 SB in Willow Street yesterday morning, and I thought it was odd that SB completely bypassed the business district while NB went straight through it.  I guess a full bypass of Willow Street could not be justified when the SB alignment was built.

roadman65

Quote from: 74/171FAN on February 12, 2023, 02:18:40 PM
I drove PA 272 SB in Willow Street yesterday morning, and I thought it was odd that SB completely bypassed the business district while NB went straight through it.  I guess a full bypass of Willow Street could not be justified when the SB alignment was built.

US 202 in Bridgeport.
NB goes through its business district on Dekalb Street, but SB is on a mini freeway that bypasses it.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

famartin

Quote from: roadman65 on February 12, 2023, 02:38:06 PM

US 202 in Bridgeport.
NB goes through its business district on Dekalb Street, but SB is on a mini freeway that bypasses it.

Still can't quite understand the reasoning for that...

74/171FAN

US 202 in Bridgeport.

That is a different situation IMO because US 202 SB still goes through downtown Norristown.

Roadsguy

Quote from: 74/171FAN on February 12, 2023, 04:12:36 PM

US 202 in Bridgeport.

That is a different situation IMO because US 202 SB still goes through downtown Norristown.

That and Markley Street is entirely two-way, unlike Dekalb Street through downtown Norristown.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

ixnay

Quote from: 74/171FAN on February 15, 2023, 04:04:26 PM
(For PA 611)  PennDOT - District 5 News: PennDOT Announces Virtual Plans Display for Route 611 Retaining Wall Project in Williams Township, Northampton County

They sure could use a retaining wall (of stone, of course) for the slide-prone stretch of 611 in Del. Water Gap NRA.  Who's paying for the clearing of 611 there, PennDOT or the NPS?

74/171FAN

Quote from: ixnay on February 16, 2023, 09:11:48 PM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on February 15, 2023, 04:04:26 PM
(For PA 611)  PennDOT - District 5 News: PennDOT Announces Virtual Plans Display for Route 611 Retaining Wall Project in Williams Township, Northampton County

They sure could use a retaining wall (of stone, of course) for the slide-prone stretch of 611 in Del. Water Gap NRA.  Who's paying for the clearing of 611 there, PennDOT or the NPS?

None of PA 611 is maintained by the NPS so PennDOT AFAIK

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

tckma

I moved to Philly "officially" in October 2021, but prior to that I was commuting here from Maryland, staying in hotels during the work week and going home on weekends, since 2018.  I've also done a lot of side hustle work in the area like Doordash and Amazon Flex, the latter taking me all over southeastern PA and southern NJ.

This has bothered me ever since I started being up in this area.

Why does this exit ramp (southbound I-476 "Blue Route" to PA-23, split from the ramps to I-76) have a tab but no number?  I *suspect* it's because prior to milepost-based exit numbering, PA had a weird habit of not numbering interstate-to-interstate junction exits.  When they went milepost, I guess these tabs were put up, but why was this one forgotten?  It could easily be 16C.  Was this ramp numbered prior to the switch to milepost-based exit numbers, and just never re-numbered, with the exit number removed?

MASTERNC

Quote from: tckma on February 23, 2023, 10:50:24 AM
I moved to Philly "officially" in October 2021, but prior to that I was commuting here from Maryland, staying in hotels during the work week and going home on weekends, since 2018.  I've also done a lot of side hustle work in the area like Doordash and Amazon Flex, the latter taking me all over southeastern PA and southern NJ.

This has bothered me ever since I started being up in this area.

Why does this exit ramp (southbound I-476 "Blue Route" to PA-23, split from the ramps to I-76) have a tab but no number?  I *suspect* it's because prior to milepost-based exit numbering, PA had a weird habit of not numbering interstate-to-interstate junction exits.  When they went milepost, I guess these tabs were put up, but why was this one forgotten?  It could easily be 16C.  Was this ramp numbered prior to the switch to milepost-based exit numbers, and just never re-numbered, with the exit number removed?

That exit tab shouldn't be there.  Northbound signs both as Exit 16A and then there is a split between I-76 EB and PA 23 with no exit numbers.  There is no exit number from I-476 assigned to PA 23.  Even on I-76 EB, the ramp to PA 23 doesn't use the same exit number as westbound - it shares the same exit number as I-476 North.

74/171FAN

interstate73

Today there was a major crash and fuel spill on the S curves just over the Jersey state line, closing the eastbound roadway for much of the day. Since 611 is still closed due to a rockslide months ago (which PennDOT isn't in the mood to reopen until at least August), the only available detour was PA-191 all the way down to Bangor then back up PA-512 to the Portland-Columbia Bridge. Obviously this led to huge backups all the way up the ridge, and apparently big rigs got stuck on 611 not realizing it was closed. Really wish something could be done about this stretch between Exit 309 and Exit 4 in NJ, it's a nightmare even in the best of times!!
🎶 Man, there’s an opera on the Turnpike 🎶

Morris County if the Route 178 Freeway had been built:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.