The Milwaukee Road - August 31

Started by SSOWorld, February 04, 2019, 09:25:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SSOWorld

When: August 31 (Saturday of Labor Day weekend) - Lunch at 11:00 AM
Where: The Chancery Pub and Restaurant - 2100 E Moreland Blvd, Waukesha, Wisconsin 53186

What:
Three major interchanges now completely rebuilt with massive construction south of town.  two interchanges accessible by foot(?) (Well not really - but one could walk under them).   Just a few items that can be captured in Milwaukee in August or September. 

I'm looking to do an initial scouting run in early May (Not the weekend of Providence) to locate relics.  It's time to think about the opportunity to visit beer city and enjoy some rebuilt interchanges and the roads between them.

Avoiding months up to August due to other meets in play, we'll be limited a bit by sun but I intend for lunch to be 11:30 am at a venue TBD.

Also: This gives folks an opportunity to detour to the Mighty Mac to walk it on Monday 9/2 (Labor Day)
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

mgk920

I'll have to wait until after the week-by-week NFL schedule is announced before giving a preference.

I remember a roadmeet that was at Saz's State House back in the late 1990s.   :cool:

Mike

kevinb1994

After reading about the climate up there, I decided on the two September dates.

SSOWorld

Quote from: mgk920 on February 04, 2019, 09:34:41 PM
I'll have to wait until after the week-by-week NFL schedule is announced before giving a preference.

I remember a roadmeet that was at Saz's State House back in the late 1990s.   :cool:

Mike
Games are played on Sunday.  I chose 3 Saturdays 🙃
Scott O.

Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
Raise your what?

Alps

Unfortunately you ruled out Labor Day weekend, which would have been by far the easiest for me. The only other possibility is the other one you didn't list - 9/14.

SSOWorld

Quote from: Alps on February 05, 2019, 07:24:09 PM
Unfortunately you ruled out Labor Day weekend, which would have been by far the easiest for me. The only other possibility is the other one you didn't list - 9/14.
Thought twice - votes can be changed.  Realization is I don't do much on Laborador Weekend

Scott O.

Raise your what?

Alps

A.J. Bertin

I'm very interested! I voted for Aug. 24 and Sept. 21.
-A.J. from Michigan

TheHighwayMan3561

August 24 is the only one I know I can easily make. I already know I'm committed the day before 9/7, and I might have football broadcast commitments the other weekends. It wouldn't be impossible but would be extremely difficult to make the logistics work.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

cl94

I'll put my name in as a "maybe". I was planning to do my late summer/early fall trip further west, but a trip to Milwaukee would allow me to bag 2-3 state high points and see a part of the country I don't have much experience with.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

MantyMadTown

I chose the two August dates–I want to make the road meet before classes start next fall.
Forget the I-41 haters

vdeane

Maybe for me, preferably not Labor Day weekend or an adjacent one.  That said, the proposed Montréal meet is my priority, but if that for some reason doesn't happen, this is a likely alternate.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cl94

Quote from: vdeane on February 07, 2019, 12:37:03 PM
That said, the proposed Montréal meet is my priority, but if that for some reason doesn't happen, this is a likely alternate.

Ditto and ditto. Not only is Montréal closer, I could more easily do it as a (long) weekend and it'd likely end up being cheaper (as crazy as that sounds). That being said, Milwaukee intrigues me, as I haven't spent a ton of time in the Upper Midwest outside of Minneapolis.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

kevinb1994

AFAIK the chances of us making it to this meet are quite low, as Milwaukee is close to Chicago and we feel as if it wouldn't make sense to venture further into the Old Northwest Territory.

A.J. Bertin

It's been a couple months since anything regarding this Milwaukee meet has been discussed. I was just wondering... is it still on the table as a possibility for August or September?
-A.J. from Michigan

Alps

I'm already flying into Milwaukee (planned) to drive the UP to and from the Mackinac Bridge walk, so I'm not doing that twice.

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: Alps on April 16, 2019, 10:57:39 PM
I'm already flying into Milwaukee (planned) to drive the UP to and from the Mackinac Bridge walk, so I'm not doing that twice.

Understandable. It's too bad, though, that you weren't able to do the Mackinac Bridge walk on Labor Day before they changed the format of it.
-A.J. from Michigan

Alps

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on April 17, 2019, 01:19:56 PM

Understandable. It's too bad, though, that you weren't able to do the Mackinac Bridge walk on Labor Day before they changed the format of it.
Wait... what? "Those who wish to, and if they begin the walk early enough, will have the option to continue across the entire bridge."

SSOWorld

Quote from: Alps on April 17, 2019, 02:20:19 PM
Not likely

Wait... what? "Those who wish to, and if they begin the walk early enough, will have the option to continue across the entire bridge."
The meet is still on the table, but I've been busy with work lately that I hadn't had time to initiate anything - I'm going to do a scouting trip this weekend.
Scott O.

Raise your what?

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: Alps on April 17, 2019, 02:20:19 PM

Oh my apologies... I guess I completely misunderstood what the new format was. I thought, starting in 2018, they were no longer allowing pedestrians to cross the entire bridge. Sorry for causing any confusion or worry! (I just looked at the website to verify what you've said.) The last time I did the Bridge Walk was in 2015 (in conjunction with the U.P. road meet that had taken place over the holiday weekend).
-A.J. from Michigan

SSOWorld

August 31 it will be.  That is also Labor Day weekend and this gives attendees an opportunity to "Detour" to the Mighty Mac to walk it if they so wish.

August 24 is only 2 weeks off Pittsburgh and I don't want to crowd the meets particularly for those going to it from the coast.
The two latter September dates will have competition from football games for those into it.

I did not scout this weekend due to Spring springing (a.k.a. allergy flare ups), rescheduled for 5/11 (no traffic pun intended)
Scott O.

Raise your what?

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: SSOWorld on April 22, 2019, 08:14:51 PM
August 31 it will be.  That is also Labor Day weekend and this gives attendees an opportunity to "Detour" to the Mighty Mac to walk it if they so wish.

Damn... that's the weekend of my 40th birthday. I'm hoping my husband throws me a 40th-birthday party on that exact date. Oh well!
-A.J. from Michigan

Alps

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on April 22, 2019, 08:43:33 PM

Damn... that's the weekend of my 40th birthday. I'm hoping my husband throws me a 40th-birthday party on that exact date. Oh well!
SURPRISE!

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: Alps on April 22, 2019, 11:42:25 PM
Quote from: A.J. Bertin on April 22, 2019, 08:43:33 PM

SURPRISE!

Haha... well, I'd really like to go to this meet if I can. Maybe I can gently ask my husband if my birthday gathering can be the previous weekend.
-A.J. from Michigan

jpi

If its 8/31 then I am out, got a toy show in Cartersville, GA that day.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.