News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Where should I host a city meet in 2020?

Started by A.J. Bertin, May 28, 2019, 07:29:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Please select one of these two locations to indicate your preferred location of the 2020 city meet:

Omaha, Nebraska
17 (50%)
Outer Banks of North Carolina (lunch in Nags Head; dinner in Elizabeth City)
17 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Voting closed: August 01, 2019, 07:29:34 AM

A.J. Bertin

I've received a lot of positive feedback regarding the "city meet" concept, so I've definitely decided to make this an annual event (as long as I have the means to do so). Last year when I created the poll for where the 2019 city meet should be located, the two other options were Omaha NE and Elizabeth City/Nags Head NC. Omaha came in at a very close second place, and Elizabeth City/Nags Head came in third. I previously considered making Omaha the automatic choice for 2020 based on the fact that it came in second place in the poll for 2019. But then I decided I should just create a new poll because, who knows... maybe a lot of folks would have chosen Elizabeth City/Nags Head if it weren't for Providence being an option.

Please vote in this poll to share your opinion of where the 2020 city meet should be held. If it's in Omaha, some suggestions of things to see/do there would include driving the freeway network, exploring downtown, checking out the riverfront, visiting any shopping malls in the area, and (of course) collecting any new counties in the area that folks might need. If it's in the Outer Banks, the primary suggestion would be a drive along NC 12 but that would also incorporate some bridges and U.S. 158. It would be a bit of a stretch to call it a "city meet" if it's in the Outer Banks area, but I'll still call it that anyway.

This poll will remain open until August 1, 2019. Once the location has been determined, I'll start to think about what time of year in 2020 to host this, but it will almost definitely be in either April, May, or June.

I look forward to seeing the votes come in!
-A.J. from Michigan

froggie

planxtymcgillicuddy

I'd love for it to be on the OBX...For one, it would give many here a chance to capture the beauty of the NC coast, two, it would be a good reason to get myself back to the OBX, and three, it'd give me a chance to be relatively close and join y'all!
It's easy to be easy when you're easy...

Quote from: on_wisconsin on November 27, 2021, 02:39:12 PM
Whats a Limon, and does it go well with gin?

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: froggie on May 28, 2019, 10:16:15 AM
Why limit it to just one?

Because I don't really have the means to host more than one per year with all the other traveling I do. One per year is enough for me to host. :)
-A.J. from Michigan

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: planxtymcgillicuddy on May 28, 2019, 11:35:32 AM
I'd love for it to be on the OBX...For one, it would give many here a chance to capture the beauty of the NC coast, two, it would be a good reason to get myself back to the OBX, and three, it'd give me a chance to be relatively close and join y'all!

If OBX is not the winner for 2020, that's where I will host it in 2021. :)
-A.J. from Michigan

planxtymcgillicuddy

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on May 28, 2019, 01:31:37 PM
Quote from: planxtymcgillicuddy on May 28, 2019, 11:35:32 AM

If OBX is not the winner for 2020, that's where I will host it in 2021. :)

Sounds great to me! And with y'all going to Elizabeth City, it would cross off another major city in NC that I've never been to! (Only major cities I've never been to is Gastonia, Shelby, Sanford, Fayetteville and Elizabeth City!)

deathtopumpkins

I would be equally interested in either option, so I have not voted.

I've never been to Omaha, or Nebraska at all, so it would all be new for me.

I've spent extensive time in the Outer Banks, but haven't been there in close to a decade and would love an excuse to go back.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

hbelkins

Not sure if I would be able to make it to either place, but my vote was for the Outer Banks, mainly because it's closer and I could get some route clinching done on the way there.

Nags Head was my mother's favorite vacation spot. We went there at least three times, maybe four, when I was growing up. I'm certainly not a tourist trap fan, but I did spend a night in Elizabeth City about 10 years ago as part of a road trip. The new NC 12 bridge would be of interest, and the Wright Brothers monument at Kill Devil Hills might be something folks might want to see.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Takumi

Voting for OBX because I could actually have a chance to make it, plus I can clinch some routes I've been wanting to for awhile.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

planxtymcgillicuddy

Quote from: hbelkins on May 28, 2019, 02:12:19 PM
Not sure if I would be able to make it to either place, but my vote was for the Outer Banks, mainly because it's closer and I could get some route clinching done on the way there.

Nags Head was my mother's favorite vacation spot. We went there at least three times, maybe four, when I was growing up. I'm certainly not a tourist trap fan, but I did spend a night in Elizabeth City about 10 years ago as part of a road trip. The new NC 12 bridge would be of interest, and the Wright Brothers monument at Kill Devil Hills might be something folks might want to see.

I second the Wright Brothers monument. Though the mosquitoes around there will tote you off if you ain't careful lol

froggie

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on May 28, 2019, 01:15:26 PM

Because I don't really have the means to host more than one per year with all the other traveling I do. One per year is enough for me to host. :)

Doesn't mean others can't host "city meets" in other locations at other times.

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: froggie on May 28, 2019, 08:24:41 PM
Quote from: A.J. Bertin on May 28, 2019, 01:15:26 PM

Doesn't mean others can't host "city meets" in other locations at other times.

Of course not! I would never discourage anyone else from hosting a "city meet". Just because I came up with the idea doesn't mean others can't replicate the concept. Perhaps my question should have asked "Where should 'my' 2020 city meet be located?"
-A.J. from Michigan

hbelkins

Quote from: planxtymcgillicuddy on May 28, 2019, 02:26:07 PM

I second the Wright Brothers monument. Though the mosquitoes around there will tote you off if you ain't careful lol

I don't know if sand fleas are a problem there, but they definitely are at the Hatteras lighthouse. Granted, it's been around 35 years since I was there, but the last time I was, I made the mistake of stepping off the wooden walkway. Those little suckers attacked me.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

planxtymcgillicuddy

Quote from: hbelkins on May 29, 2019, 01:07:19 PM
Quote from: planxtymcgillicuddy on May 28, 2019, 02:26:07 PM

I don't know if sand fleas are a problem there, but they definitely are at the Hatteras lighthouse. Granted, it's been around 35 years since I was there, but the last time I was, I made the mistake of stepping off the wooden walkway. Those little suckers attacked me.

I didn't have no problems with sand fleas at the Wright Bros. monument. Just the mosquitoes. When you're parking, stay as far away from the woods as possible. The closer you get to the woods, the more they eat up on you.

Highway63

I've been to Omaha too many times to do that, but I can certainly offer tips.  :colorful: Although I suppose I could go and be a guide for others who were interested in a similar grouping of places.

NC would be a new and cool experience for me but also very expensive, and I don't know if I'm sold on the "only meet for meals otherwise you're on your own" structure.

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: Highway63 on June 06, 2019, 12:52:29 AM
I've been to Omaha too many times to do that, but I can certainly offer tips.  :colorful: Although I suppose I could go and be a guide for others who were interested in a similar grouping of places.

Right now the vote is pretty close, between Omaha and the Outer Banks, for which one will be selected as the 2020 city meet location. If Omaha does not win for 2020, it will be my automatic choice for 2021. The poll will remain open until August 1. It will be interesting to see which one emerges as the winner.

Quote from: Highway63 on June 06, 2019, 12:52:29 AM
NC would be a new and cool experience for me but also very expensive, and I don't know if I'm sold on the "only meet for meals otherwise you're on your own" structure.

If you decide that the "city meet" concept isn't for you (regardless of which location will be the winner for 2020), I would not be offended at all if you decide not go to. Not all the feedback I've received on my idea has been positive, but enough of it has been positive to warrant me making it an annual thing. It's not for everyone, though, and that's okay.
-A.J. from Michigan

kevinb1994

Kinda wish I had voted for the now-frontrunner in the poll, but am pleased to see the voting go on nonetheless. :)

Looks like the race has gotten into a tied knot!

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: kevinb1994 on June 21, 2019, 11:43:46 PM
Kinda wish I had voted for the now-frontrunner in the poll, but am pleased to see the voting go on nonetheless. :)

I'm sure you had a good reason for voting the way you did. We shouldn't let other people's votes make us regret voting a certain way. I assume you voted for Omaha. Remember that, if Omaha does not emerge as the winner for my city meet in 2020, Omaha will be my automatic choice for 2021.

Quote from: kevinb1994 on June 21, 2019, 11:43:46 PM
Looks like the race has gotten somewhat tight again...

Eh... I wouldn't say a vote of 10 vs. 15 is particularly tight. Omaha has quite a bit of catching up to do if it's going to emerge as the winner for 2020. Only four weeks left until the poll closes.
-A.J. from Michigan

A.J. Bertin

We've got one week left before the poll closes on where I should host a city meet in 2020. Outer Banks has been clearly in the lead for most of this time, but there have been a few recent votes for Omaha and it's getting close! (The current poll puts Omaha at 13 votes and Outer Banks at 15 votes.) I've been assuming all this time that Outer Banks might emerge as the winner, but now I'm not so sure.

If you're seeing this comment and you haven't voted yet, please vote... even if you can't attend in either location. (I'm just looking for overall feedback on how many people think it should be in one location or the other.) Thanks in advance for voting!

Part of me is wondering whether I should have made the results visible only after casting a vote... vs. having it visible to anyone regardless of whether they vote.
-A.J. from Michigan

US71

Omaha would be easier for me to get to. East Coast is a bit of a stretch from my neighborhood.

But it wouldn't let me actually place a vote, unless there's an official scorekeeper who posts the votes?
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

cjk374

Uh-oh....looks like I broke the tie. Been breaking things all week long. My bad.  :pan:
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

tolbs17

Come on, do the outer banks. I live in North Carolina and it's the best in my opinion!

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: cjk374 on July 27, 2019, 10:53:08 PM
Uh-oh....looks like I broke the tie. Been breaking things all week long. My bad.  :pan:

Haha!! Actually, after you voted, someone else cast a vote against yours. Now they're tied again... 16 to 16!
-A.J. from Michigan

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: mrhappy1261 on July 27, 2019, 10:55:10 PM
Come on, do the outer banks. I live in North Carolina and it's the best in my opinion!

If Outer Banks doesn't win for 2020, I promise you it will happen in 2021. :)
-A.J. from Michigan

A.J. Bertin

I changed the subject line of this thread because the previous subject line made it sound like I have a monopoly on hosting city meets which I absolutely don't.
-A.J. from Michigan

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.