8 (72.7%)
Sat., June 27, 2020
6 (54.5%)
Sat., July 11, 2020
4 (36.4%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: October 02, 2019, 11:53:52 AM

inkyatari

Anndd Bike MS was cancelled, but I still might not attend because of covid.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

SSOWorld

Quote from: bandit957 on May 06, 2020, 08:26:43 PM
Quote from: SSOWorld on May 06, 2020, 06:44:07 PM
1. Uh oh, this is spreading like wildfire.
2. Better stay away from strangers and #FlattenTheCurve.
3. It works. Curve flattens.
4. Welp this whole social distancing thing is silly. Let's #openup the economy.
5. ... goto step 1

(from Facebook)  - hopefully the meet begins at step 4.

I'm at step 4 (except for my fear of entering buildings).

There's not gonna be a step 5.
You sure? Ask Georgia.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

hbelkins

Quote from: SSOWorld on May 06, 2020, 11:07:33 PM
5. ... goto step 1

You sure? Ask Georgia.

Georgia's one week into its reopening. Too soon to know if Step 5 will happen.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

oscar

Quote from: hbelkins on May 07, 2020, 02:14:11 PM
Quote from: SSOWorld on May 06, 2020, 11:07:33 PM
5. ... goto step 1

You sure? Ask Georgia.

Georgia's one week into its reopening. Too soon to know if Step 5 will happen.

Some parts of Georgia seem to have never gotten past Step 2.

As for this meet, too soon for me to be comfortable. Especially since (as I noted for the Outer Banks meet) road meets don't lend themselves to even limited social distancing, which I probably will need until a vaccine is rolled out.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Brandon

It took me a bit to figure this out after the curveball we got thrown a couple of months ago.  The restaurant (Arthur's Deli) has a drive-thru, and there's a park with parts of an old railroad bridge over the Rock River only about 5 minutes (or less) from the restaurant.  It does have picnic tables.

As such, the itinerary will be:

1. Start at Page Park, Dixon.  We should be able to leave some vehicles here if we want.
2. Follow Palmyra Road to Sterling.  This is the old Lincoln Highway through here, bypassed by IL-2 to the south.
3. View an old stub of the Lincoln Highway were Palmyra Road rejoins IL-2.
4. Downtown Sterling - lots of twists and turns for the routes going through here.
5. Hennepin Canal Feeder.  This feeds the Hennepin Canal to the south, once intended for commerce between the Illinois River and the Quad Cities.
6. US-30 Bridge in Clinton, Iowa.
7. IL/IA-136 Bridge in Clinton, Iowa.
8. Drive back to Dixon, following a toll-free section of I-88.
9. Drive by the Reagan Home since it bips.
10. Old rail viaduct in Dixon, related to the piers we will see from Page Park.
11. Dixon Arch.
12. Back to Page Park.  Total drive time is less than 3 hours.  Spending time at each, we should be back to Page Park by 5 pm if we start the tour at noon.

A Facebook event will follow soon.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Highway63

If this is still going to happen, and I am able to travel, this sets up well for me (even with the LHA conference being cancelled).

I would like to suggest, if I could:

• The W.F. Coan Lincoln Highway marker at the southwest junction of US 30/67 - also, going here would allow for seeing the 30/67 Liberty Square project from a few years ago
  • The 1930 concrete on 27th Street near that intersection
  • The Lincoln Highway "loop" that goes to the endpoint of the original Lyons-Fulton bridge

I have driven/done a lot of this so I would probably be a driver.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: Highway63 on May 19, 2020, 12:38:44 AM
If this is still going to happen, and I am able to travel, this sets up well for me (even with the LHA conference being cancelled).

I would like to suggest, if I could:

• The W.F. Coan Lincoln Highway marker at the southwest junction of US 30/67 - also, going here would allow for seeing the 30/67 Liberty Square project from a few years ago
  • The 1930 concrete on 27th Street near that intersection
  • The Lincoln Highway "loop" that goes to the endpoint of the original Lyons-Fulton bridge

I have driven/done a lot of this so I would probably be a driver.

Just pick off highlights of the LH using this map
https://www.lincolnhighwayassoc.org/map/
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

SSOWorld

Did they steal that from the TM Site?

Oh wait... can't steal free stuff
Scott O.

Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
Raise your what?

dvferyance

I heard today that Illinois plans to reopen a week from tomorrow. As long as this road meet is still on I am in for sure.

jpi

And I am still planning to road trip up from middle TN, also plan to get more US 30 mileage and some Iowa counties too
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

cjk374

Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

hbelkins

Highly doubtful due to a number of reasons, but will never say never.

Highway63

Updated work rules mirror the CDC/IDPH "advise against all nonessential travel" and also say personal travel must be pre-approved. Attending "events with large crowds" "may" require self-quarantine.

We'll see if this changes in three weeks. It will be deeply and stupidly ironic if I am blocked from going to the nearest meet to me in a decade.

hbelkins

Quote from: Highway63 on May 30, 2020, 12:53:47 AM
Updated work rules mirror the CDC/IDPH "advise against all nonessential travel" and also say personal travel must be pre-approved. Attending "events with large crowds" "may" require self-quarantine.

We'll see if this changes in three weeks. It will be deeply and stupidly ironic if I am blocked from going to the nearest meet to me in a decade.

Work dictating where you can go on your own personal time? How are they going to know if you don't tell them you went? What kind of job do you have?

A road meet with probably fewer than two dozen attendees would hardly qualify as a "large crowd."

Fear has consumed every ounce of common sense in this country.

Alps

Quote from: hbelkins on May 30, 2020, 12:18:41 PM

Work dictating where you can go on your own personal time? How are they going to know if you don't tell them you went? What kind of job do you have?

A road meet with probably fewer than two dozen attendees would hardly qualify as a "large crowd."

Gatherings of 10 or more are advised against... honesty vs. lying... what values do you have?

SSOWorld

So you're saying he should lie his way through and risk his job?  You know full well that private companies are not restricted on what they can tell people to do - especially when it comes to safety.  Regardless - Illinois is in a no-more than 10 mindset.  Yeah that will not likely be enforced (even at this point for obvious reasons).  They could be in a more relaxed state by the time of the meet but they're still going to encourage mask wearing and distancing - something that I will abide by personally. What you and others do is up to you/them.

If you want to jeopardize your life by going Leeroy Jenkins into a pack of potentially infected people, be my guest!  Do not ever tell anyone else how to behave.

EVER!!!😠😡
Scott O.

Raise your what?

hbelkins

Quote from: Alps on May 30, 2020, 03:10:16 PM

Gatherings of 10 or more are advised against... honesty vs. lying... what values do you have?

Not sure what Illinois' guidelines will be at that time, and the poster is apparently from an adjoining state, not Illinois. Nowhere did I say anything about lying; I merely advocated silence. Don't ask, don't tell.

I don't know how many will be at this meet. Probably somewhere closer to 10 than 20, would be my guess. The OP probably encounters more than that many people anytime he goes to buy groceries.

My values are freedom and liberty.

Quote from: SSOWorld on May 31, 2020, 02:08:26 PM

So you're saying he should lie his way through and risk his job?  You know full well that private companies are not restricted on what they can tell people to do - especially when it comes to safety.  Regardless - Illinois is in a no-more than 10 mindset.  Yeah that will not likely be enforced (even at this point for obvious reasons).  They could be in a more relaxed state by the time of the meet but they're still going to encourage mask wearing and distancing - something that I will abide by personally. What you and others do is up to you/them.

If you want to jeopardize your life by going Leeroy Jenkins into a pack of potentially infected people, be my guest!  Do not ever tell anyone else how to behave.

EVER!!!😠😡

Well aren't you being all self-righteous? Nowhere did I say I was telling anyone how to behave. I was just questioning the restrictions on travel off-the-clock. And again, nowhere did I mention lying. I advocated silence. Unless his employer is spying on him, they'd have no way of knowing where he went on a Saturday.

There are certain things I can't do on my own time that are written into law. Personal travel restrictions on the weekends is not one of those things.

But don't worry. Unless a new, dependable automobile suddenly materializes in my driveway that I could trust to make a trip of that distance, and the ongoing funds to pay for insurance and yearly taxes, you won't have to encounter my non-masked face at this meet.

I'm still trying to get my mind around an employer telling someone that they can't go somewhere when they're not on the clock.

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: hbelkins on May 31, 2020, 05:29:08 PM

Out of curiosity, does this include the freedom to infect other people with the virus if you are asymptomatic and not realize that you have it?
-A.J. from Michigan

Duke87

I'm still trying to get my mind around an employer telling someone that they can't go somewhere when they're not on the clock.

Yeah I'm pretty sure that's illegal. If they're actually trying to block you from traveling, you should point this out to them.

On the other hand it is totally legal to tell an employee that if they travel out of state, upon their return they should be taken out of any high exposure roles (e.g. no face to face with customers), or should flat out just not come to work for two weeks. So it makes sense that they'd want to be notified before anyone goes anywhere so they can hash out the logistics of managing this.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

SSOWorld

Quote from: Duke87 on May 31, 2020, 10:10:40 PM

Yeah I'm pretty sure that's illegal. If they're actually trying to block you from traveling, you should point this out to them.

On the other hand it is totally legal to tell an employee that if they travel out of state, upon their return they should be taken out of any high exposure roles (e.g. no face to face with customers), or should flat out just not come to work for two weeks. So it makes sense that they'd want to be notified before anyone goes anywhere so they can hash out the logistics of managing this.
A friend of mine was ordered by his supervisor to self-quarantine after returning from a trip - one he aborted mid-way - luckily he was allowed by the company to telework so he didn't have to eat pay or vacation time to do so.  The rule is written into the company's COVID policy that if one was coming from a volatile area, they are subject to this.

Yes, the company did not prohibit personal travel and I agree that prohibiting personal travel is wrong (legality I don't know of) but they are doing the thing they need to do to make sure everyone else working for the company is safe.
Scott O.

Raise your what?

US 89

I'm not a lawyer, but if you are employed at will, your employer can probably fire you for violating a company COVID policy as long as they don't target any specific group.

bandit957

No activity is completely risk-free. I think most people are ready to try to move on.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Alps

Quote from: bandit957 on June 01, 2020, 09:50:27 AM
No activity is completely risk-free. I think most people are ready to try to move on.
Disease is still out there. People want to move on, but we're going to see a spike in cases. We need restrictions to be commensurate with what hospitals can handle. Open too much, too soon, and we'll be in crisis mode.

bandit957

Quote from: Alps on June 01, 2020, 10:10:28 AM
Disease is still out there. People want to move on, but we're going to see a spike in cases. We need restrictions to be commensurate with what hospitals can handle. Open too much, too soon, and we'll be in crisis mode.

We're doing great compared to March and April.

Reuters just ran a story that says two doctors in Italy believe the virus is clinically dead...

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-losing-its-lethality-in-italy-according-to-doctors-2020-6
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

hbelkins

Quote from: US 89 on June 01, 2020, 01:01:30 AM
I'm not a lawyer, but if you are employed at will, your employer can probably fire you for violating a company COVID policy as long as they don't target any specific group.

Kentucky is an at-will state unless you're a public employee or working under a contract, so I'm fully aware of what that means. Your employer can let you go if they don't like the color of the shirt you're wearing.

But again I ask -- how are they going to know if the poster in question says nothing? I know one person who called in sick from work to attend a meet a few years ago, did not participate in the group photo, and made no public mention of his attendance. If you say nothing about what you did over the weekend, tell no one that you went, don't allow yourself to be tagged in any social media posts, etc., it's like the proverbial tree falling in the woods.

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on May 31, 2020, 10:01:10 PM

Out of curiosity, does this include the freedom to infect other people with the virus if you are asymptomatic and not realize that you have it?

I'd have to go back and find the stories, but last weekend I saw two reports of two separate studies -- one may have been in The Lancet, but again, I'm not positive -- that pretty much shoots down the idea that asymptomatic transmission poses a major problem.

Quote from: SSOWorld on May 31, 2020, 10:16:30 PM
Quote from: Duke87 on May 31, 2020, 10:10:40 PM

A friend of mine was ordered by his supervisor to self-quarantine after returning from a trip - one he aborted mid-way - luckily he was allowed by the company to telework so he didn't have to eat pay or vacation time to do so.  The rule is written into the company's COVID policy that if one was coming from a volatile area, they are subject to this.

Yes, the company did not prohibit personal travel and I agree that prohibiting personal travel is wrong (legality I don't know of) but they are doing the thing they need to do to make sure everyone else working for the company is safe.

I don't know the specifics of each individual state, obviously, but here, if you're told to stay home because of the virus, you're either entitled to paid leave, or unemployment at 100 percent of your pay plus the extra $600 per week. The employer can tell you to not report to work, but they can't require you to self-quarantine 24/7/14.

As onerous as Kentucky's executive orders have been, there have been no dictates that state employees abide by any "travel must be approved" edicts. There was a travel ban that said anyone who travels out of state for any recreational reasons has to self-quarantine for 14 days upon returning, but that got tossed out as unconstitutional. (Our governor is 0 for 3 in court challenges to his orders.) There was a simple way around that. One of the permitted activities was purchasing groceries or other essential supplies. All you had to do to technically be in compliance was to buy a bag of potato chips in the other state -- our governor often mentioned Tennessee specifically, because they had fewer business restrictions and we have more border crossings with them than any other state -- and you had bought food elsewhere.

Quote from: Alps on June 01, 2020, 10:10:28 AM
Quote from: bandit957 on June 01, 2020, 09:50:27 AM

We're straying into the off-topic discussion on this, but even during the initial surge, there was no danger of the health care system ever being overwhelmed. Kentucky had two temporary field hospitals, one at the fairgrounds in Louisville and one at the UK football practice facility in Lexington. Neither ever saw its first patient, and they've dismantled the one in Lexington. Meanwhile, hospitals were laying off or furloughing staff and had most of their beds empty.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.