The I-65/70 North Split Reconstruction

Started by silverback1065, July 26, 2020, 09:56:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverback1065

Quote from: cjw2001 on May 02, 2023, 06:46:56 PM
Quote from: silverback1065 on May 02, 2023, 06:30:59 PM
So nice to have this mostly done. Interested to see how this fixes traffic in the area. won't judge that until all ramps are open though.
Yesterday traffic wasn't looking good but that may have been mainly due to weather and the "new" factor.   Things appear to be smoother today.

I'm wondering how much of the bottleneck of the flyover ramp merge onto I 70 Eastbound will be improved when they finally get those lanes restriped into the final configuration.   Thinking they ran out of time this last weekend due to all the rain but hoping they finish that up ASAP.   Right now the flyover is operating with two lanes but looks like there is likely room for 3 once they finish restriping?

I'm pretty sure you're right, because there's a sign that says the left lane ends. That explains the backup on 65. 65 no longer backs up past 21st st anymore. I think come July we can have a safe assessment on how things are flowing.

On a side note, the beautification and city streetscape looks really nice. There will be an urban forest surrounding the interchange and a large lake. All the city streets under the bridges will be fully reconstructed with giant sidewalks, plus a lot of plantings. It's going to look great. Monon trail I believe will be 14' wide too. INDOT is also going to do a lot of downtown city street repairs due to detour traffic I read somewhere. This project really is ending well  :clap:

silverback1065

I'm going to make a prediction. SB 65 will still back up to 21st. Not because of weaving from the Delaware ramp, but because of weaving caused from the MLK/West St ramp. this on ramp has 0 merge area and now will likely get more traffic due to the Delaware ramp being permanently closed to SB 65. That ramp is your only access to 65 SB now besides Washington St. So until they do something about that I predict backups will still happen.

FixThe74Sign

I am still pessimistic about the removing of certain on and off ramps will affect traffic. However, the good thing about the West St on ramp is it will merge into the lanes that are going onto 65 south. So the increased number of people taking the West St on ramp due to needing to go on 65 south, in theory, will join the lanes they already need to be in.

Same with the increased amount of people who need to take the West St exit since 70 west cannot exit at Meridian/Penn anymore. 70 west to 65 north is already on the same side as the West St exit, so hopefully not a lot of merging there either.

silverback1065

Quote from: FixThe74Sign on May 05, 2023, 10:35:02 AM
I am still pessimistic about the removing of certain on and off ramps will affect traffic. However, the good thing about the West St on ramp is it will merge into the lanes that are going onto 65 south. So the increased number of people taking the West St on ramp due to needing to go on 65 south, in theory, will join the lanes they already need to be in.

Same with the increased amount of people who need to take the West St exit since 70 west cannot exit at Meridian/Penn anymore. 70 west to 65 north is already on the same side as the West St exit, so hopefully not a lot of merging there either.

I think the 70w to West st traffic wont be a big deal since traffic is lined up for that. Theoretically the queue at the signal may back up onto mainline but I don't think it will be that bad. Seems like they could have made a slip ramp from Delaware to the C/D to get back to 65S but that may require more R/W which would have been a no no downtown.

cjw2001

Quote from: silverback1065 on May 02, 2023, 07:53:30 PM
So nice to have this mostly done. Interested to see how this fixes traffic in the area. won't judge that until all ramps are open though.
Yesterday traffic wasn't looking good but that may have been mainly due to weather and the "new" factor.   Things appear to be smoother today.

I'm wondering how much of the bottleneck of the flyover ramp merge onto I 70 Eastbound will be improved when they finally get those lanes restriped into the final configuration.   Thinking they ran out of time this last weekend due to all the rain but hoping they finish that up ASAP.   Right now the flyover is operating with two lanes but looks like there is likely room for 3 once they finish restriping?

I'm pretty sure you're right, because there's a sign that says the left lane ends. That explains the backup on 65. 65 no longer backs up past 21st st anymore. I think come July we can have a safe assessment on how things are flowing.

On a side note, the beautification and city streetscape looks really nice. There will be an urban forest surrounding the interchange and a large lake. All the city streets under the bridges will be fully reconstructed with giant sidewalks, plus a lot of plantings. It's going to look great. Monon trail I believe will be 14' wide too. INDOT is also going to do a lot of downtown city street repairs due to detour traffic I read somewhere. This project really is ending well  :clap:

From today's drone video I can see that the third lane on the flyover has now been striped.  The extra lane is not yet fully open since they still need to finish redoing the merge further east.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOSKsTfBf_k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsrGG2d-c_Q

silverback1065

The C/D looks like it can be open down to Fletcher now (keeping ohio closed) and the 65 ramp to the C/D can be opened too. Maybe we will see this soon. also looks like penn can open very soon too. I wonder how much traffic that ramp will get now. doesn't seem like a lot now that 70 is cut off permanently.

cjw2001

Quote from: cjw2001 on May 07, 2023, 07:15:35 PM
Quote from: silverback1065 on May 02, 2023, 07:53:30 PM

From today's drone video I can see that the third lane on the flyover has now been striped.  The extra lane is not yet fully open since they still need to finish redoing the merge further east.

On the traffic cameras I noticed that I 70 is currently in the process of being restriped back to normal east of the merge.  Hopefully should be finished overnight.

morning update:  As anticipated this was finished overnight and all 3 lanes on the flyover are now open.

cjw2001

Quote from: silverback1065 on May 08, 2023, 12:07:45 PM
The C/D looks like it can be open down to Fletcher now (keeping ohio closed) and the 65 ramp to the C/D can be opened too. Maybe we will see this soon. also looks like penn can open very soon too. I wonder how much traffic that ramp will get now. doesn't seem like a lot now that 70 is cut off permanently.
There is activity visible on the traffic cams tonight for the C/D showing the removal of temporary concrete barrier wall with replacement by orange barrels.  Likely a sign of things to come.

silverback1065

Quote from: cjw2001 on May 09, 2023, 10:20:35 PM
There is activity visible on the traffic cams tonight for the C/D showing the removal of temporary concrete barrier wall with replacement by orange barrels.  Likely a sign of things to come.

you were right, the C/D is open down to Fletcher now! Ohio is still closed. Unsure if Exit 111 from 65 is open yet though. Can anyone confirm that 65 has access to the C/D now?

only thing left now is the penn ramp and ohio st if 65 access is open to the c/d.

cjw2001

Quote from: silverback1065 on May 12, 2023, 08:12:03 AM

you were right, the C/D is open down to Fletcher now! Ohio is still closed. Unsure if Exit 111 from 65 is open yet though. Can anyone confirm that 65 has access to the C/D now?

only thing left now is the penn ramp and ohio st if 65 access is open to the c/d.
While the lines were painted last night don't believe that is open yet - still seeing orange barrels in place on the traffic cams.

silverback1065

Quote from: cjw2001 on May 12, 2023, 10:39:56 AM

While the lines were painted last night don't believe that is open yet - still seeing orange barrels in place on the traffic cams.

Then I would guess that means it will open this weekend! no way it stays closed for much longer!

cjw2001

Quote from: silverback1065 on May 12, 2023, 10:43:11 AM

Then I would guess that means it will open this weekend! no way it stays closed for much longer!
Yep just noticed on the traffic cams that the "closed" signs have been removed from the various BGS for Fletcher - so likely opening is imminent.   Barrels are still blocking the way at the moment.

cjw2001

Quote from: cjw2001 on May 12, 2023, 02:49:08 PM
Quote from: silverback1065 on May 12, 2023, 10:43:11 AM

Yep just noticed on the traffic cams that the "closed" signs have been removed from the various BGS for Fletcher - so likely opening is imminent.   Barrels are still blocking the way at the moment.
From today's email newsletter:

"The Meridian/Pennsylvania exit ramp from I-65 NB and access to the C/D from Michigan to Fletcher and the South Split are anticipated to reopen by Monday, May 15. The Ohio Street ramp is anticipated to be open by the end of May."

edit:  A second INDOT email from later in the day states that the C/D to Fletcher and the Meridian/Penn exit will open tonight.

silverback1065

I just drove it, everything is open except Ohio street! I expect 65 sb/70 wb traffic to get better because a lot of people used the c/d as a secret 4th lane.

cjw2001

cjw2001

Quote from: silverback1065 on May 14, 2023, 12:55:49 PM
I just drove it, everything is open except Ohio street! I expect 65 sb/70 wb traffic to get better because a lot of people used the c/d as a secret 4th lane.
Doesn't look like WB 70 traffic has caught on to using the collector as an alternate yet - but given time it will likely improve as people notice the c/d traffic whizzing by as they are stopped in traffic on the mainline.

NWI_Irish96

I'll be driving through on the 27th. Looking forward to it.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

silverback1065

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on May 16, 2023, 05:43:30 PM
I'll be driving through on the 27th. Looking forward to it.

both directions of 65 are fun to drive, much sharper curves with a high superelevation.  :-D

silverback1065

Now that the north split is essentially done, local streets damaged by detouring traffic will be fixed. Saw it on the news today, they said around 12 streets will get fixed. One in particular is 11th from Meridian to Delaware. This will go into 2024. 14 million dollars courtesy of INDOT. also the new north split is finally showing up on google maps.

cjw2001

Google maps is starting to catch up with reality -- I've been strategically submitting edits for several days which they've surprisingly been accepting.  Feeding them one or two changes at a time in order to get them through.  Think most of the old obsolete ramp segments have been removed at this point.   Now working on getting the correct names on segments and getting the two local ramps extended on the north end.   So far so good but with Google you never know.   This was so much easier when Google Mapmaker was still a thing and I had regional lead powers.  Now it is just a roll of the dice whether they pay attention or not.

Rothman

I've had a couple of edits fly through recently, much to my surprise.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

silverback1065

ohio st is open! all ramps are open now! with the exception of sb keystone to 70w that will probably open when they put the wb lanes back to where they should be. looks like they are putting in sound barriers.

ya google needs to remove the small kink on 65 nb leaving the split and also needs to change the line weight and label 65 sb going into the split.

cjw2001

Quote from: silverback1065 on May 26, 2023, 08:12:44 AM

ya google needs to remove the small kink on 65 nb leaving the split and also needs to change the line weight and label 65 sb going into the split.
submitted the changes needed for that yesterday - now whether they accept those edits or not is a completely different story.

silverback1065

INDOT is seeking opinions on the interstates inside 465, excluding north split. They want to see how they should improve them. I think removal is off the table. What do you guys think should be done to improve the inside interstates? I think the south leg of the inner loop (70) needs some cleanup, make restore the street grid as much as you can and to cap most of the south split. the virginia on ramp needs some work too. the Keystone Rural exit should be turned into a simple diamond or SPUI. The on ramp to 65s from west/mlk needs merging room.

bmeiser

Quote from: silverback1065 on May 31, 2023, 08:17:31 AM
INDOT is seeking opinions on the interstates inside 465, excluding north split. They want to see how they should improve them. I think removal is off the table. What do you guys think should be done to improve the inside interstates? I think the south leg of the inner loop (70) needs some cleanup, make restore the street grid as much as you can and to cap most of the south split. the virginia on ramp needs some work too. the Keystone Rural exit should be turned into a simple diamond or SPUI. The on ramp to 65s from west/mlk needs merging room.
Where are they accepting feedback officially?

Pixel 7

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.