News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

How did Boston get 495?

Started by kernals12, February 19, 2022, 10:54:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothman

Quote from: ran4sh on June 03, 2023, 09:44:24 PM
Houston's 1st loop is small enough that the 3rd one is not that far out though.
...and Boston was to have a little inner loop...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

RobbieL2415

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on May 28, 2023, 10:35:41 AM
Quote from: paulthemapguy on May 24, 2023, 10:06:19 AM
495 isn't really a circumferential of Boston southeast of Foxborough, or arguably southeast of the Mass Pike.  It would be if a ton of traffic was generated from Cape Cod, but Cape Cod is quite decidedly not a dense urban core generating a massive amount of traffic.  It generates a good amount, yes, but not a ton. 495 does serve a good purpose in its southeastern reaches, though, providing access to a lot of populated areas in southeastern Mass. And 495 is a suitable enough number, as the majority of the highway serves as a bypass.  My point is that Boston, more or less, has 1 1/2 bypasses rather than 2. (Same with I-355 in Chicagoland; I'm hesitant to call that a bypass.) I'd be more inclined to call the southern half of 495 a bypass if there was a highway running south from Wareham or Cape Cod south across the ocean to, say, the Hamptons?  :-P

At one point, 495 was exclusively circumferential, ending at its current interchange at I-95 in Mansfield. IIRC, it wasn't until the 1980s that it was extended to Taunton at MA-24 and then down to its terminus with MA-25 and I-195 in Wareham.
There are bridges on the east end of I-495 dated 1966, so I don't think this is accurate.

SectorZ

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on June 06, 2023, 01:56:46 PM
495 isn't really a circumferential of Boston southeast of Foxborough, or arguably southeast of the Mass Pike.  It would be if a ton of traffic was generated from Cape Cod, but Cape Cod is quite decidedly not a dense urban core generating a massive amount of traffic.  It generates a good amount, yes, but not a ton. 495 does serve a good purpose in its southeastern reaches, though, providing access to a lot of populated areas in southeastern Mass. And 495 is a suitable enough number, as the majority of the highway serves as a bypass.  My point is that Boston, more or less, has 1 1/2 bypasses rather than 2. (Same with I-355 in Chicagoland; I'm hesitant to call that a bypass.) I'd be more inclined to call the southern half of 495 a bypass if there was a highway running south from Wareham or Cape Cod south across the ocean to, say, the Hamptons?  :-P

At one point, 495 was exclusively circumferential, ending at its current interchange at I-95 in Mansfield. IIRC, it wasn't until the 1980s that it was extended to Taunton at MA-24 and then down to its terminus with MA-25 and I-195 in Wareham.
There are bridges on the east end of I-495 dated 1966, so I don't think this is accurate.

The far east end, between MA 24 and I-195, was already built as MA 25. It was re-numbered in the 80's at some point after 495 was built between I-95 and 24.

DJStephens

Quote from: SectorZ on June 06, 2023, 04:08:21 PM

The far east end, between MA 24 and I-195, was already built as MA 25. It was re-numbered in the 80's at some point after 495 was built between I-95 and 24.

That is correct.   MA - 25 was subsumed by the I-495 extension.   Have to wonder, if during the early planning process, 495 was ever considered to have gone to Plymouth, instead, via the US - 44 corridor?    There is a bitsy US 44 expressway, now, extending westward out of the Plymouth area.  Not sure if it meets standards, have never been on it, am guessing no.   

MATraveler128

Quote from: DJStephens on June 07, 2023, 10:22:36 AM

That is correct.   MA - 25 was subsumed by the I-495 extension.   Have to wonder, if during the early planning process, 495 was ever considered to have gone to Plymouth, instead, via the US - 44 corridor?    There is a bitsy US 44 expressway, now, extending westward out of the Plymouth area.  Not sure if it meets standards, have never been on it, am guessing no.

I've never heard of any plan to have I-495 go towards Plymouth. I've been on it once and it just doesn't have the traffic to warrant being an Interstate. I'm not exactly sure the benefit of the freeway to begin with, but it's probably for the best that I-495 go towards the Cape.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

The Ghostbuster

The US 44 freeway opened in 2005, so it is unrelated to anything having to do with Interstate 495. It would take some doing (and won't happen anyway) but the US 44 freeway could theoretically be extended westward to Interstate 495, since US 44 is limited-access from the traffic circle eastward. I doubt US 44 will be upgraded any further, so that's that.

DJStephens

Am aware that the US - 44 improvements came later.  Just asking that if a long time ago, perhaps even in the Fifties, 495 was considered to go somewhere beyond, on it's southern end, than the planned or "projected" southern connection with I-95.   MA - 25 connected with MA - 24 pre early eighties.  The "gap" was then filled.  Meaning extending 495 to the MA 24/25 interchange.  To be entirely correct, 495 should have had an Odd 3di number, E of its' southern connection with 95, but am guessing it was not done that way, to avoid confusion with a new designation.   595, 795 both would have worked.   

Rothman

Quote from: BlueOutback7 on June 07, 2023, 10:28:32 AM
I've been on it once and it just doesn't have the traffic to warrant being an Interstate. I'm not exactly sure the benefit of the freeway to begin with, but it's probably for the best that I-495 go towards the Cape.

Wut.

If only DOTs knew this is all you needed to do to determine where projects were needed...

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Alps

Quote from: DJStephens on June 07, 2023, 10:49:39 AM
Am aware that the US - 44 improvements came later.  Just asking that if a long time ago, perhaps even in the Fifties, 495 was considered to go somewhere beyond, on it's southern end, than the planned or "projected" southern connection with I-95.   MA - 25 connected with MA - 24 pre early eighties.  The "gap" was then filled.  Meaning extending 495 to the MA 24/25 interchange.  To be entirely correct, 495 should have had an Odd 3di number, E of its' southern connection with 95, but am guessing it was not done that way, to avoid confusion with a new designation.   595, 795 both would have worked.   
No. It was never planned as such.

Ted$8roadFan

As has been mentioned, the US 44 expressway is relatively recent. I don't think it goes as far west as 495, and isn't even four lanes in parts. It could become a bona fide expressway, but I doubt it will happen anytime soon. 

pderocco

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on June 08, 2023, 05:29:36 AM
As has been mentioned, the US 44 expressway is relatively recent. I don't think it goes as far west as 495, and isn't even four lanes in parts. It could become a bona fide expressway, but I doubt it will happen anytime soon.

Maybe not soon, but I think it will happen, as the area's population increases. There's plenty of ROW along the super 2 for doubling it up, including diamonds at the current traffic lights, and it's almost as flat as a board. Combine that with the long-imagined flyover at the Middleborough rotary, and it would be full freeway from I-495 to MA-3.

PHLBOS

MA - 25 was subsumed by the I-495 extension.   Have to wonder, if during the early planning process, 495 was ever considered to have gone to Plymouth, instead, via the US - 44 corridor?    There is a bitsy US 44 expressway, now, extending westward out of the Plymouth area.  Not sure if it meets standards, have never been on it, am guessing no.   
As others have stated, that US 44 project was not part of any I-495 or MA 25 plan I'm aware of.

However, when MA 25 was planned; one early proposal had such extending & connecting to MA 3 just north of the then-Sagamore rotary.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.