News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Atchafalaya Basin I-10 Bridge New Speed Enforcement

Started by bwana39, July 08, 2022, 04:13:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bwana39

The fines are doubling and camera enforcement including tickets by mail are coming to the Atchafalaya Basin I-10 bridges.

https://www.thecentersquare.com/louisiana/louisianas-edwards-signs-bill-to-allow-speed-cameras-on-atchafalaya-basin-bridge/article_6c7ebac6-f18b-11ec-ba77-1f543105932e.html

Doug Warner KSLA  (From Facebook)
1d  ·
Not that I'm aware if I've ever sped across this south Louisiana I-10 bridge, but daaang! You won't even be able to speed in the middle because they'll be timing you on the ends. Starting August 1st, if you cross it in less than 18 minutes, you'll get a speeding ticket. By the way, it's 18.2 miles long. #SoKeepItUnder60

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/well-i-ll-be-reaction-from-la-state-trooper-as-he-realizes-he-s-just-pulled-over-head-of-lsp-for-speeding/ar-AAZn0Ll?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=e70b272f220e4e5385a06a3c14e09515

Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

zzcarp

And the real reason they're doing it:

QuoteWilson told a House committee DOTD would only capture enough money from tickets to cover the cost of operating the camera system and would send the bulk of the fines to the two parishes along the roadway – Iberville and St. Martin parishes.
So many miles and so many roads

webny99

Per the data cited in the article, there were 229 crashes last year. I'm no expert but that seems like a lot for a single roadway... over 4 per week. Does anyone know what types of crashes are commonly occurring here?

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: bwana39 on July 08, 2022, 04:13:47 PM
The fines are doubling and camera enforcement including tickets by mail are coming to the Atchafalaya Basin I-10 bridges.

https://www.thecentersquare.com/louisiana/louisianas-edwards-signs-bill-to-allow-speed-cameras-on-atchafalaya-basin-bridge/article_6c7ebac6-f18b-11ec-ba77-1f543105932e.html

1d  ·
Not that I'm aware if I've ever sped across this south Louisiana I-10 bridge, but daaang! You won't even be able to speed in the middle because they'll be timing you on the ends. Starting August 1st, if you cross it in less than 18 minutes, you'll get a speeding ticket. By the way, it's 18.2 miles long. #SoKeepItUnder60

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/well-i-ll-be-reaction-from-la-state-trooper-as-he-realizes-he-s-just-pulled-over-head-of-lsp-for-speeding/ar-AAZn0Ll?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=e70b272f220e4e5385a06a3c14e09515

Good.  People drive way to fast on the Atchafalaya Basin Bridge.  It's a delicate bridge and it has a low speed limit for a reason.  Don't upset the vibration because you are an impatient reckless diver. 

hotdogPi

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on July 08, 2022, 04:26:50 PM

1d  ·

Good.  People drive way to fast on the Atchafalaya Basin Bridge.  It's a delicate bridge and it has a low speed limit for a reason.  Don't upset the vibration because you are an impatient reckless diver.

What is the bridge's resonance frequency? Sounds like a design issue to me.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

bwana39

1d  ·

That stretch is part of why I have gone across I-10 as opposed to US-190 2 x in my life.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: 1 on July 08, 2022, 04:41:12 PM

1d  ·

I don't know, I am not that smart.  Just drive slower on it so it won't collapse is all I got out of the article I read some years back.  Of course it's a design issue.  It's Louisiana. 

bwana39

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on July 08, 2022, 05:42:16 PM

1d  ·

I don't know, I am not that smart.  Just drive slower on it so it won't collapse is all I got out of the article I read some years back.  Of course it's a design issue.  It's Louisiana.

So I understand, it is about the mud under the supports. There is no "firm foundation".

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: bwana39 on July 08, 2022, 05:59:13 PM
Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on July 08, 2022, 05:42:16 PM

1d  ·

So I understand, it is about the mud under the supports. There is no "firm foundation".

They drilled forever until they hit solid ground and built from there.  Of course that was 50-60 years ago so that does have a shelf life. 

Rothman

Wait...I can singlehandedly bring a bridge down just by driving too fast on it?  I believe I sped on that bridge already.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: Rothman on July 08, 2022, 08:04:35 PM
Wait...I can singlehandedly bring a bridge down just by driving too fast on it?  I believe I sped on that bridge already.

I think it was mostly the truck traffic. 

Tom958

Quote from: 1 on July 08, 2022, 04:41:12 PMWhat is the bridge's resonance frequency? Sounds like a design issue to me.

What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?

froggie

LM117

Quote from: zzcarp on July 08, 2022, 04:18:12 PM
And the real reason they're doing it:

QuoteWilson told a House committee DOTD would only capture enough money from tickets to cover the cost of operating the camera system and would send the bulk of the fines to the two parishes along the roadway – Iberville and St. Martin parishes.

Taking a page from Hopewell, VA's playbook.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

roadman65

1d  ·
Not that I’m aware if I’ve ever sped across this south Louisiana I-10 bridge, but daaang! You won’t even be able to speed in the middle because they’ll be timing you on the ends. Starting August 1st, if you cross it in less than 18 minutes, you’ll get a speeding ticket. By the way, it’s 18.2 miles long. #SoKeepItUnder60

How about trucks ignoring the NO TRUCKS LEFT LANE signs? I noticed that a semi used the Left Lane to pass a slow moving car when driving it last April.

Oh BTW you can discount time by stopping at the rest area? Speed all you want, but spend a few minutes at the area.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

froggie

Cry "revenue enhancement" all you want, but the fact of the matter remains that the bridges have a very high crash rate and speeding is the top reason for those crashes.  The volume of trucks on I-10 does not help matters any.

Rothman

Quote from: froggie on July 09, 2022, 09:40:16 AM
Cry "revenue enhancement" all you want, but the fact of the matter remains that the bridges have a very high crash rate and speeding is the top reason for those crashes.  The volume of trucks on I-10 does not help matters any.
Fix the bridges.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

US 89

There was pretty much no chance to even come close to speeding when I drove across this a month ago. Way too much traffic for that.

froggie

Quote from: Rothman on July 09, 2022, 09:46:31 AM
Fix the bridges.

Please elaborate.

bwana39

Quote from: froggie on July 09, 2022, 09:53:27 AM
Fix the bridges.

Please elaborate.

Replacement is a $billion+ undertaking. The state DOTD budget would be basically all used up there.  DO you have some other engineering type suggestion?

Rothman

Quote from: bwana39 on July 09, 2022, 11:04:09 AM
Quote from: froggie on July 09, 2022, 09:53:27 AM
Fix the bridges.

Please elaborate.

Replacement is a $billion+ undertaking. The state DOTD budget would be basically all used up there.  DO you have some other engineering type suggestion?
Never replacing the bridges is not an option.

How do people on here think any state affords a megaproject?  Most involve special additional funding from the federal government and this bridge is significant enough that it would definitely get such assistance.

plain

Whenever these bridges get replaced, I wouldn't be surprised if a GeauxPass will come in handy afterwards.
Newark born, Richmond bred

sprjus4

From my view, all it seems reducing the speed limit has done is create a barrier between those traveling a reasonable speed and what the road is designed for (70-75 mph) and those following 55-60 mph. Driving it recently, I noticed a lot of tailgating, brake slamming, weaving in and out, because of the speed differentials.

I don't think the low speed limit has helped anything, except to make people in power feel better.

I still don't see a reason why a lower speed is warranted from an engineering and traffic standpoint. It's a straight road that traffic routinely moves at 70-75 mph when not congested with often little issues.

ethanhopkin14

I don't understand why it has a high crash rate.  It is a straight bridge with no turns and both bridges are one way!!

TXtoNJ

Quote from: sprjus4 on July 09, 2022, 12:21:28 PM
From my view, all it seems reducing the speed limit has done is create a barrier between those traveling a reasonable speed and what the road is designed for (70-75 mph) and those following 55-60 mph. Driving it recently, I noticed a lot of tailgating, brake slamming, weaving in and out, because of the speed differentials.

I don't think the low speed limit has helped anything, except to make people in power feel better.

I still don't see a reason why a lower speed is warranted from an engineering and traffic standpoint. It's a straight road that traffic routinely moves at 70-75 mph when not congested with often little issues.

You don't understand why a 50 year old bridge built in an extremely unfavorable environment, might need specific constraints to prevent catastrophic damage?

The bridge does need replacing, but that's a $2 billion project, minimum, and will likely take the better part of a decade.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.