Feds cracking down on 'funny' signs

Started by rickmastfan67, November 21, 2022, 11:54:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickmastfan67

Seems the Feds don't like the 'funny' signs that NJDOT has been putting up as of late.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUdGuq7fPKg

jeffandnicole

But they only told NJ. It seems like they haven't cracked down on other states that have been posting the same exact signs for years.

hbelkins

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 21, 2022, 12:05:26 PM
But they only told NJ. It seems like they haven't cracked down on other states that have been posting the same exact signs for years.

It probably depends on how anal-retentive the state's FHWA director is.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Henry

So that means no more Clark Griswold signs for the Garden State Parkway's Exit 135? I always found that amusing, given that National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation is one of my must-watch holiday films.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Rothman

Quote from: hbelkins on November 21, 2022, 01:19:00 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 21, 2022, 12:05:26 PM

It probably depends on how anal-retentive the state's FHWA director is.
Exactly.  Not all FHWA Divisions are made equal.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Scott5114

I'd like to see exactly how many drugs the FHWA director for Oklahoma is on.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

LilianaUwU

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 21, 2022, 08:51:53 PM
I'd like to see exactly how many drugs the FHWA director for Oklahoma is on.

The answer is probably "yes".
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

TheHighwayMan3561

I quit watching the video the moment the guy whined about the use of tax money, like there's a job title specifically available for "type stupid messages on a VMS and absolutely nothing else". Grow up.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

MASTERNC

A Republican Congressman and one of the Senators from NJ seem to be pushing back on this crackdown

hbelkins

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on November 22, 2022, 09:49:11 PM
I quit watching the video the moment the guy whined about the use of tax money, like there's a job title specifically available for "type stupid messages on a VMS and absolutely nothing else". Grow up.

Haven't some states that use those cutesy messages actually polled the public for submissions to use?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

abefroman329

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on November 22, 2022, 09:49:11 PM
Or that they're paying a premium for people who can come up with clever messages vs. those who can't.

Occidental Tourist

If it's between some cutesy phrase and some trite DUI or seatbelt message, I'd prefer the cutesy phrase.  Besides, I tune the message signs out unless they have actual traffic information on them.

MASTERNC

DelDOT is still using them.  Case in point today's message:

HE SEES YOU WHEN YOU'RE SPEEDING
HE KNOWS WHEN YOU TAILGATE

cjk374

You mean like the time when the VMS sign over the Ponchartrain Causeway leaving NOLA read "WE WERE ROBBED" after the infamous no-call in the 2018 NFC Championship game (Saints vs Rams)?

FHWA needs to chill. There are far greater issues they are ignoring that need to be dealt with.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

StogieGuy7

Or, the perfect VMS sign for Wisconsin:

CAMP IN THE WOODS
NOT IN THE LEFT LANE

It's too bad that hardly anyone here seems to heed this advice, though that's what you get in a state with no real drivers' ed.

That said, the message is light hearted yet relevant, so the feds need to step off on this stuff. They're (way) out of control.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.