News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Places you will never see a Traffic Signal

Started by roadman65, December 07, 2022, 01:34:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Both Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard are two places in MA that have no signals whatsoever. In fact some webpages for Nantucket suggest drivers be polite and yield to each other when at intersections.

There also in Florida' s Sanibel Island the same, where that city would rather implement a traffic officer over installing a traffic signal.

Then Windermere, FL installed roundabouts to avoid installing traffic signals.

To me I don't think we will ever see a Traffic Signal ever in our lifespans for the aforementioned.  How many other places currently without a signal can you hypothenize won't ever get to a point to eventually install a signal.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

NWI_Irish96

Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Road Hog

I'm pretty confident there are no traffic signals on Catalina Island.

wanderer2575

LilianaUwU

I'm pretty sure Anticosti Island has no traffic signals, considering how little road traffic there is.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

webny99

Quote from: roadman65 on December 07, 2022, 01:34:56 PM
Both Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard are two places in MA that have no signals whatsoever. In fact some webpages for Nantucket suggest drivers be polite and yield to each other when at intersections.

Probably similar with Block Island, RI. No stoplights and many different means of transport competing for the same road space can be a bit hectic at times.

GaryV

ilpt4u

An answer should be Interstate Highways, but I-70 Breezewood, I-78 approaching the Holland Tunnel, and I-180 WY remind us of the imperfect Interstate System we have

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

US 89

kirbykart

In the middle of the Great Salt Lake.

Mars (the planet)

An intersection equipped with invisible traffic signals.

Bruce

I'm pretty sure San Juan Island lacks signals, and perhaps even the whole county.

paulthemapguy

Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

kphoger

Quote from: thefraze_1020 on March 18, 2018, 04:46:38 PM
In Washington State:

San Juan County- seat is Friday Harbor (county has no state routes and consists entirely of islands.)

Quote from: maxk on April 18, 2018, 07:07:13 PM
San Juan County in Washington State also does not have any full-color traffic lights. However, I seem to recall that there is a blinking red light at the ferry loading dock in Friday Harbor, but this is simply to remind folks not to drive into the water when a ferry is not at the dock.

Quote from: roadman65 on August 01, 2021, 07:22:47 PM
Does San Juan County, WA have any?

Quote from: Bruce on December 07, 2022, 08:12:41 PM
I'm pretty sure San Juan Island lacks signals, and perhaps even the whole county.

just to be snide...
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

algorerhythms

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on December 08, 2022, 04:21:31 PM
North Sentinel Island
There is a signal, but it's always red. It's made from the blood of trespassers.

skluth

CNGL-Leudimin

Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

therocket

Big John

Takumi

Quote from: kphoger on December 08, 2022, 02:42:01 PM
Quote from: thefraze_1020 on March 18, 2018, 04:46:38 PM
In Washington State:

San Juan County- seat is Friday Harbor (county has no state routes and consists entirely of islands.)

Quote from: maxk on April 18, 2018, 07:07:13 PM
San Juan County in Washington State also does not have any full-color traffic lights. However, I seem to recall that there is a blinking red light at the ferry loading dock in Friday Harbor, but this is simply to remind folks not to drive into the water when a ferry is not at the dock.

Quote from: roadman65 on August 01, 2021, 07:22:47 PM
Does San Juan County, WA have any?

Quote from: Bruce on December 07, 2022, 08:12:41 PM

just to be snide...

Yes, but what about San Juan County, WA?
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

cockroachking

Safe bet on the following towns in NY:
Allen
Baldwin
Birdsall
Boylston
Brandon
Cameron
Clare
Day
Decatur
Denning
East Otto
Edinburg
Greig
Hardenburgh
Hermon
Montague
Lincoln
Lyndon
Osceola
Otto
Providence
Rathbone
Redfield
Russell
Smithfield
Stony Creek
Thurston
Watson
Westford
Worth

None of these towns contain a state maintained road, and none have any signals to my knowledge. And if you knew where any of these towns were without looking at a map (unless you live in one of these towns), then you have a pretty impressive knowledge of NY geography.  :D

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

zachary_amaryllis

Jackson County, CO.

The busiest spot, in Walden (at 14/125) is just a stop sign, in a dusty North Park town.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.