News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Update on I-69 Extension in Indiana

Started by mukade, June 25, 2011, 08:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Life in Paradise

Since we are all questioning the labeling of Google Maps for stating I-69 goes up all the way to I-465, has anyone seen the new 2024 Rand McNally map to see where they have "officially" put the I-69 label for next year?  My thought is that they would go up to IN 144 but the road actually should be up to the last couple of miles shy of I-465 by the time 2024 starts.

I-55

Quote from: Life in Paradise on May 08, 2023, 01:31:06 PM
Since we are all questioning the labeling of Google Maps for stating I-69 goes up all the way to I-465, has anyone seen the new 2024 Rand McNally map to see where they have "officially" put the I-69 label for next year?  My thought is that they would go up to IN 144 but the road actually should be up to the last couple of miles shy of I-465 by the time 2024 starts.

Rand McNally's designation for I-69 doesn't extend beyond the Martinsville Bypass. It ends 12 miles short of 144. Disappointing I know.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

roadman65

Quote from: I-55 on May 08, 2023, 04:14:49 PM

Rand McNally's designation for I-69 doesn't extend beyond the Martinsville Bypass. It ends 12 miles short of 144. Disappointing I know.

RM 2023 edition still shows most of NC 74 in the Triad as under construction despite a large section opened a few years ago.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

I-55

Quote from: roadman65 on May 08, 2023, 04:16:52 PM
Quote from: I-55 on May 08, 2023, 04:14:49 PM

RM 2023 edition still shows most of NC 74 in the Triad as under construction despite a large section opened a few years ago.

Yeah about that... 2024 atlas only has it complete from 421 to 311. There's several projects where they are behind.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

tdindy88

This upcoming planned closure along I-465 between I-70 and I-65 on the southwest side is pissing me off. I would frankly like to know EXACTLY what they are planning on doing with the interstate closed for what appears to be two and a half weeks in June and July. As I see it, the traffic has already been shifted and they are already working on the eastbound lanes and the new I-69 interchange and it appears that progress is ongoing. What does closing the eastbound lanes of 465 accomplish to that goal and what can they get done in that time span? And why are they closing the westbound lanes too? Aren't they doing the westbound next year?

There are already tons of trucks and cars on that highway at the rush hours and I-70 on the west side can't handle all of that plus the I-70 traffic. I'm being a little hyperbolic but they are going to paralyze half the city with this project. There better be something really good out of this closure and I kind of wish the Finish Line people could explain it better. Drainage? The I-69 interchange? Those won't be complete this summer. These people have been very efficient in their project and have done a very good job, I just wish there was a better justification for this upcoming paralysis.

edwaleni

We really need some input from a Rand McNally cartographer in the forum.

The last one I talked to (many moons ago) used to complain about how many years it takes to get a road built.

They would show the lines on the state map denoting "under construction" but if the state stopped the work, should RM remove the UC notation, should they keep it, or show nothing?

Back in the 60's and 70's it was easier becuase so many new interstates were being built, but when the buildouts gradually slowed down in the mid to late 70's, they had to go back and remove a lot of "proposed" and "under construction" notations.

Don't know what the rules are today, hence we need a RM employee (or retired) to update the audience.

RIndy

Quote from: tdindy88 on May 10, 2023, 08:33:53 PM
This upcoming planned closure along I-465 between I-70 and I-65 on the southwest side is pissing me off. I would frankly like to know EXACTLY what they are planning on doing with the interstate closed for what appears to be two and a half weeks in June and July. As I see it, the traffic has already been shifted and they are already working on the eastbound lanes and the new I-69 interchange and it appears that progress is ongoing. What does closing the eastbound lanes of 465 accomplish to that goal and what can they get done in that time span? And why are they closing the westbound lanes too? Aren't they doing the westbound next year?

There are already tons of trucks and cars on that highway at the rush hours and I-70 on the west side can't handle all of that plus the I-70 traffic. I'm being a little hyperbolic but they are going to paralyze half the city with this project. There better be something really good out of this closure and I kind of wish the Finish Line people could explain it better. Drainage? The I-69 interchange? Those won't be complete this summer. These people have been very efficient in their project and have done a very good job, I just wish there was a better justification for this upcoming paralysis.
You're right, this will be bad. You thought the north split downtown was bad, this could be worse. The problem is both east bound and west bound needs a complete rebuilt. Its not the drainage, its everything. West bound is closed long enough to redo to make three lanes both directions to work so the I-69 will come in. The first bridge closest to east bound is being built. West bound will take both directions at the end of July. Added temporary lanes to the west bound is needed, to make work through next year then shift to the east bound on the newly built lanes and new bridges. INDOT is doing this to make safe for the current highway workers. The current traffic makes this harder to keep workers safe. As for 70 and 65, yea it will be bad, congested traffic and worse. Maybe taking 465 north go around the city the northern part of 465 would be better, its a long way off but maybe not as congested than going through downtown route. Its just two months, not two years. 

FixThe74Sign

QuoteMaybe taking 465 north go around the city the northern part of 465 would be better, its a long way off but maybe not as congested than going through downtown route.

And get caught up in the Clear Path work on the NorthEast side  :-D

If only the 465 and 65 interchange on the west side had a 65 North to 465 South ramp....

abqtraveler

Quote from: RIndy on May 22, 2023, 12:51:18 AM
Quote from: tdindy88 on May 10, 2023, 08:33:53 PM

You're right, this will be bad. You thought the north split downtown was bad, this could be worse. The problem is both east bound and west bound needs a complete rebuilt. Its not the drainage, its everything. West bound is closed long enough to redo to make three lanes both directions to work so the I-69 will come in. The first bridge closest to east bound is being built. West bound will take both directions at the end of July. Added temporary lanes to the west bound is needed, to make work through next year then shift to the east bound on the newly built lanes and new bridges. INDOT is doing this to make safe for the current highway workers. The current traffic makes this harder to keep workers safe. As for 70 and 65, yea it will be bad, congested traffic and worse. Maybe taking 465 north go around the city the northern part of 465 would be better, its a long way off but maybe not as congested than going through downtown route. Its just two months, not two years.
A big part of the decision for a full closure of south leg I-465 is due to the fact that the complete rebuild/widening of I-465 between I-70 and I-65 will take place within 2 construction seasons (2023 and 2024), which is a very aggressive timeline for such work. Closing the freeway to traffic for several weeks will enable the contractor to condense the schedule on critical tasks that would not otherwise be possible if the road were kept open. 
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

ITB

Took some more pictures. Photos were taken Sunday, May 28, 2023, unless otherwise indicated.

Looking east toward the future I-465 eastbound mainline. In the mid-foreground are the pier and south abutment for the flyover that will carry I-69 north to I-465 west. Further back is a section of the flyover that will carry I-465 west to I-69 south.

Another perspective; looking northeast.

And another view, again looking east.

Future ramp from I-465 east to I-69 south; looking east.

Different perspective of the ramp; looking slightly southeast. Just around the bend the ramp ends at a huge pile of dirt.

Turning around, here's the ramp as it diverges away from I-465 east; looking west.

And, the mid-background left, here's that pile of dirt referenced above; looking northwest from the new Epler Avenue overpass. In the foreground is the massive surcharge that has yet to be removed.

This gives a better idea of how large the surcharge is. It's looks to be about 15 feet thick and larger than a football field. Sometime this summer, I imagine, they'll get around to removing it. Now where they plan to put all that dirt, I don't know. Possible they might build a little mountain nearby.

The view looking southeast from the Epler Avenue overpass.

Closer look at the flyover section that will carry traffic from I-465 west to I-69 south. The eastbound exit ramp to Harding Street will run between that section and the pictured abutment just to the right. It will then go under the bridge pictured further back. That bridge will carry I-69 north to I-465 east.

This was one looonnnggg pole, probably around 150 feet.

Here again is the interchange schematic to give a better idea of what the photos depict:

Walsh-Milestone Design Build Team

Life in Paradise

Definitely making good use of the weather we have had over the past week or so.  I did not realize that they had already moved this far along.

roadman65

Sheryl Crowe

jakeroot

roadman65

May 23 is the last sweep the Google car made of SR 37.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

Sheryl Crowe

jakeroot

Quote from: roadman65 on May 29, 2023, 10:19:27 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on May 29, 2023, 07:44:10 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on May 29, 2023, 07:31:26 PM
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Indianapolis,+IN/@39.6916369,-86.1913407,16z/data=!4m6!3m5!1s0x886b50ffa7796a03:0xd68e9df640b9ea7c!8m2!3d39.768403!4d-86.158068!16zL20vMGZ0eHc?entry=ttu
Googlemaps shows I-69 completed up to the Beltway.

According to GSV it's not the case.

According to this entire thread (including the post literally above yours), that's clearly not the case.

Under construction don't count as completed.
https://goo.gl/maps/jExp3mmZ1TJG76Q86

That section of SR-37 will not be part of I-69. It is mislabeled on Google Maps.

The actual I-69 route will be to the west, with a flyover interchange at the beltway. The image of this render is the very last image in the post immediately before your first comment.

roadman65

My point was that Google was wrong about labeling.  As sometimes they are. :sombrero:

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

Anyway I see what you mean here https://goo.gl/maps/TPbrzTNg9dyaBQpK7
That compliments the photos above.^^^^^

Plus here on SR 37 and future I- 69.
https://goo.gl/maps/Mbm3Fsc3JX4rPu5b9

Sheryl Crowe

edwaleni

Looks like that viaduct to the quarry on the north side of I-465 is about to see its demise after 62 years!

ITB

More pictures. Again, photos were taken Sunday, May 28, 2023, unless otherwise identified.

Walsh Construction field office on W. Thompson Road in Indianapolis about a 1/2 mile west of the SR 37/Thompson Road intersection. The building and lot was formerly the Stoops Used Truck Center.

Looking west along W. Thompson Road. The entrance to the Walsh facility is located where the crane is positioned. Not a good photo due to the position of the sun; it is what it is.

W. Thompson Road; looking east. This area is primarily light industrial with many businesses revolving around the trucking industry.

Signage near the I-465/Harding Street interchange; looking south from just north of the interchange. In an attempt to take some pictures of the pile driving underway (crane, background) for the new eastbound I-465 mainline bridge over Harding Street, I ended up near where this photo was taken. Earlier, looking for a place to park, I noticed what seemed like an old, abandoned motel near the southeast quadrant of the interchange. Motoring in I discovered to my dismay the squat one-story structures were instead being used as housing of some sort. Lordy. Talk about sketchy. There were a few people out and about, folks that seemed to experiencing what might kindly be called, "issues." One guy was passed out on the walk near the entrance to a unit. On Google maps it called the Knights Inn. Needless to say, I did a quick turnaround and zipped out. I never did find a good place to park. Maybe next time I'll try a truck stop.

The view looking west from near the end of W. Thompson Road. Again, a crappy photo, but it does depict the future eastbound exit ramp from I-465 to Harding Street. It's on the right, and goes underneath the bridge in the mid-background. That bridge will carry the ramp from I-69 north to I-465 east. In the deep background right is a section of the flyover that will carry the ramp from I-465 west to I-69 south.

Here's a long range view of those bridges from the other direction; looking east. The bridge over the Harding Street ramp is in background center, and can be better seen when the photo is expanded.

Drainage infrastructure near the future I-69 north to I-465 west flyover; looking north.

Another view of the Walsh field office.

The large pier for the future flyover from I-69 north to I-465 east; looking north. The steel girders, which will be used to construct the flyover, should be arriving on site in the not too distant future.

One more set of photos to come.

ITB

Another set. Photos were taken Sunday, May 28, 2023, unless otherwise noted.

Smith Valley Road interchange, Johnson County

Looking south from the Smith Valley Road overpass. As depicted, paving with PCC is well underway on the future northbound roadway.

Slightly different vantage point.

And another, looking slightly southwest. At this time of year in Indiana, the sun sets well after 9 pm. However, due to the partial cloud cover, it was darker than normal.

The view looking north from the Smith Valley Road overpass.

Expansion joint on the overpass; looking southeast.

Section of future Smith Valley Road; looking east toward the interchange's western roundabout.

And here's the roundabout; looking east.

The roundabout is actually more teardrop shaped than round, with the interior curb featuring a pointed tip; looking west.

Long range shot looking south.

And another view.

One more look at the approach to the western roundabout; looking east.

One last view looking south.

edwaleni

For those interested in the history of Indiana,

This link will show you where the I-69 work falls either across or on top of the route of the Central Canal from 1835.

It was dug as far as Waverly but not watered. Ed Fujawa has painstakenly retraced the original route. The red line overlays the original route of the canal.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1JUye8cFmbLvP4GR2Nzh7CUJc3l9DTBQT&ll=39.60362767232244%2C-86.22116133520082&z=15

The image below is from same map, showing where the canal crossed Smith Valley Road.

bmeiser

Quote from: edwaleni on May 30, 2023, 07:06:31 PM
For those interested in the history of Indiana,

This link will show you where the I-69 work falls either across or on top of the route of the Central Canal from 1835.

It was dug as far as Waverly but not watered. Ed Fujawa has painstakenly retraced the original route. The red line overlays the original route of the canal.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1JUye8cFmbLvP4GR2Nzh7CUJc3l9DTBQT&ll=39.60362767232244%2C-86.22116133520082&z=15

The image below is from same map, showing where the canal crossed Smith Valley Road.

This is really cool! Thanks for sharing!

Pixel 7

tdindy88

Well, the closure of I-465 eastbound between I-70 and I-65 is underway. And as expected I-70 is experiencing what I would call "Race Day" traffic heading east into downtown. From I-465 to the South Split at this moment is 37 minutes to travel 7 miles. It's been well into the 40+ minute range at peak times. Sam Jones Exwy/Raymond Street heading east is no better and a poor substitute. I see traffic backing up along SR 144 a couple of miles west of I-69 due to detoured traffic. To be fair I think the detour is fine out of peak traffic times but if anyone is passing through Indianapolis in the afternoon from west to east I would highly recommend changing your route or your timing.

Notably, the I-69 Finish Line social media pages have been very quiet. Their website has the weekly update on it but there's nothing on Facebook or Twitter. They know that they are absolutely going to get it from the public right now if they put something up.

I keep watching the stretch of I-465 between US 31 and I-65, I wonder if anything significant is going to be happening there during this closure.

Interstate 69 Fan

Quote from: tdindy88 on June 06, 2023, 05:25:15 PM
Well, the closure of I-465 eastbound between I-70 and I-65 is underway. And as expected I-70 is experiencing what I would call "Race Day" traffic heading east into downtown. From I-465 to the South Split at this moment is 37 minutes to travel 7 miles. It's been well into the 40+ minute range at peak times. Sam Jones Exwy/Raymond Street heading east is no better and a poor substitute. I see traffic backing up along SR 144 a couple of miles west of I-69 due to detoured traffic. To be fair I think the detour is fine out of peak traffic times but if anyone is passing through Indianapolis in the afternoon from west to east I would highly recommend changing your route or your timing.

Notably, the I-69 Finish Line social media pages have been very quiet. Their website has the weekly update on it but there's nothing on Facebook or Twitter. They know that they are absolutely going to get it from the public right now if they put something up.

I keep watching the stretch of I-465 between US 31 and I-65, I wonder if anything significant is going to be happening there during this closure.
It was MUCH worse yesterday - an hour+ to go from Exit 68 to Exit 80 EB.
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.