News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

NY 17/"I-86"

Started by newyorker478, October 27, 2011, 07:54:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on December 08, 2022, 05:27:20 PM
Oh, and if PennDOT really had it out for the NYTA, they'd make NYC the control for I-86 on the I-90 Exit.

That would stick it to NYSTA, but it would also keep travelers in New York state. They'd rather keep NYC-bound traffic in Pennsylvania the whole way by taking I-79 to I-80 (which is also about 20 minutes faster).

kirbykart

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on December 08, 2022, 05:27:20 PM
And I would've put Erie and Cleveland on that first mileage sign in PA westbound; who is taking I-86 West into PA to go to Buffalo?

That's the thing. It's not the fastest route for anything. Those ramps should be removed, as you can cut over on PA 89 and PA/NY 426.

cockroachking

Quote from: kirbykart on December 09, 2022, 08:36:40 AM
Those ramps should be removed, as you can cut over on PA 89 and PA/NY 426.
FHWA does not approve of this message.

dzheng35

Surprisingly, region 9's STIP projects list talks about actually constructing the Hale Eddy improvement on route 17 within the next few years. If you look at project number 906783, it mentions some details about what's going to happen with Hale Eddy with some new interchanges that will be built, and it talks about the construction phase in 2026.

https://www.dot.ny.gov/programs/stip/files/R9.pdf

webny99

Quote from: dzheng35 on February 03, 2023, 02:01:18 PM
Surprisingly, region 9's STIP projects list talks about actually constructing the Hale Eddy improvement on route 17 within the next few years. If you look at project number 906783, it mentions some details about what's going to happen with Hale Eddy with some new interchanges that will be built, and it talks about the construction phase in 2026.

Great news. I will definitely take this tradeoff for US 219 being canned. I recall seeing the alternatives for this project at some point, but can't seem to find them now.

dzheng35

Quote from: webny99 on February 03, 2023, 02:56:01 PM

Great news. I will definitely take this tradeoff for US 219 being canned. I recall seeing the alternatives for this project at some point, but can't seem to find them now.

Wait, what's going on with US 219? Also, who knows if the Hale Eddy project is actually going to happen still despite being listed. Also, if it happens, what's the alternative going to be.

dzheng35

Also, about exit 122, the westbound ramp reconstruction, what's the new ramp going to look like? I remember seeing it on a website at one point, but it was years ago. I don't know if they're still going to use that design or if they changed it.

Rothman

Quote from: dzheng35 on February 03, 2023, 03:10:58 PM

Wait, what's going on with US 219? Also, who knows if the Hale Eddy project is actually going to happen still despite being listed. Also, if it happens, what's the alternative going to be.
The fact that construction is set in FFY 26 is surprising - that's in the active program.  Looks like the MO pumped in funding...possibly as a parting gift from the RPPM that recently retired.

(personal opinion emphasized)
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

The Ghostbuster

So, they are finally going to convert the Hale Eddy segment of NY 17/future Interstate 86 to Interstate Standards in 2026? I'll believe it when I see it.

Rothman

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 03, 2023, 05:02:16 PM
So, they are finally going to convert the Hale Eddy segment of NY 17/future Interstate 86 to Interstate Standards in 2026? I'll believe it when I see it.
Exactly.  Quite surprising.  I'd watch for more STIP amendments as the year approaches.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Rothman

seicer

Rothman

Quote from: seicer on February 03, 2023, 08:01:00 PM
WEPI?
Let's just say the project information on the public-facing website is subject to a lot of change.

(personal opinion emphasized)

cockroachking

webny99

I will definitely take this tradeoff for US 219 being canned. I recall seeing the alternatives for this project at some point, but can't seem to find them now.

Wait, what's going on with US 219?

There was some hope that the freeway south of Buffalo would be continued to meet I-86 at Salamanca, but it was officially shelved earlier this year (or maybe last year? can't remember for sure now).

cockroachking

Quote from: webny99 on February 04, 2023, 01:54:12 PM
I will definitely take this tradeoff for US 219 being canned. I recall seeing the alternatives for this project at some point, but can't seem to find them now.

There was some hope that the freeway south of Buffalo would be continued to meet I-86 at Salamanca, but it was officially shelved earlier this year (or maybe last year? can't remember for sure now).
Was it cancelled that recent? I thought it was axed long before then.

webny99

Quote from: cockroachking on February 04, 2023, 02:13:54 PM
Quote from: webny99 on February 04, 2023, 01:54:12 PM

Was it cancelled that recent? I thought it was axed long before then.

It's been unlikely for a long time, but the cancellation was only made official recently. I know it came up on the forum at the time, but can't seem to find it now.

webny99

kirbykart

I like Option 4, but I feel the interchange road should line up with Bush Hill Road.

dzheng35

Which sections of route 17 do you all think are more difficult for upgrades to interstate standards, and which ones do you think are rather easy for upgrades? I'd say Hale Eddy to Hancock is the hardest, and the section from Exit 79 to 84 is the easiest.

Note: These are just my opinions.

vdeane

When Rothman analyzed these needs a few years ago, it turned out the Region 8 projects had the highest cost, so those, probably.  As for what is needed between exits 79 and 84, let's consult the NYSDOT freight plan appendix (see page 82/F-18), since this is honestly the best publicly-available source of what the needs are that I've found:

Reconstruct 5 bridges to improve vertical
clearance and improve the section of
New York State Route 17 from Windsor
to Deposit to meet interstate standards.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

dzheng35

Any ideas on what still has to be done on the southern tier expressway section before the remaining gets signed and when?

vdeane

^
Enhance interchange 67 on Route 17 to
achieve Interstate standards in the towns
of Vestal and Union, Broome County.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

amroad17

Quote from: vdeane on February 26, 2023, 08:33:06 PM
^
Enhance interchange 67 on Route 17 to
achieve Interstate standards in the towns
of Vestal and Union, Broome County.
I thought the main reason NY 17 is not signed as I-86 through Vestal and Endwell, and to a larger extent between Waverly and Johnson City*, was the non-Interstate standard bridges over the Susquehanna east of Exit 68, over Vestal Road, over N. Main St., and over Choconut Creek.  I agree that Exit 67 could use some improvement, however, those bridges have very little room as far as shoulder width.

*-on GSV and on "Full Length Interstates'" videos, I see that I-86 is somewhat signed between Exit 70 and I-81.  I also see that I-86 is posted at Exit 67, even though it is not considered "official" at that point.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.