News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

NY - Ground Broke on Last Segment of US 15 (I-99)

Started by PAHighways, September 22, 2009, 07:36:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PAHighways

A groundbreaking ceremony was held Monday on the last segment of US 15 expressway from just north of the Pennsylvania line to Presho. The project is expected to be completed in 2012.

http://www.sungazette.com/page/content.detail/id/532742.html

Dougtone

I-99 or not, completing this freeway is necessary, since it seems to be the main road between Western New York State (as well as Ontario) and the Baltimore-Washington area.  And a lot less out of the way than some of the alternatives (see I-79 and I-81).

Mr_Northside

It's about time.

Is the intent to get US-15 from I-180 to I-86 designated as I-99 once this is done, and just have a missing segment until PennDOT upgrades the substandard sections of US-220? 

Quote"Once this section is complete, it will be completely four lane from Interstate 180 in Williamsport to Interstate 86 in Corning, N.Y., and will be eligible for federal interstate designation," White told the 50 or so people in attendance.

Not sure if they mean that the road is just up to standards for it, or if they'll have the go-ahead to sign it.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

froggie

Just that it'll be up to standards, provided construction on the leg near Steam Valley is completed by then (which it should be).  PennDOT and NYSDOT will still have to petition FHWA to add it as an Interstate afterwards.

hbelkins

Quote from: froggie on September 23, 2009, 10:07:46 AM
Just that it'll be up to standards, provided construction on the leg near Steam Valley is completed by then (which it should be).  PennDOT and NYSDOT will still have to petition FHWA to add it as an Interstate afterwards.

Looks like they plan to do so. This is on US 15 southbound just past the PA 287 interchange, which is a few miles south of the New York state line:

And this one is northbound on US 15 in Williamsport, just north of US 220 and I-180:

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

rawmustard

Quote from: froggie on September 23, 2009, 10:07:46 AM

I was pretty sure that the I-99 designation was already written into law for this section (the National Highway Designation Act of 1995 which amended ISTEA of 1991), so they can add actual I-99 shields once that section is brought up to Interstate standards. They would have to petition if they wanted the I-99 designation extended outside the limits of Corridor 9, which stretches from Bedford, PA, to Corning, NY.

treichard

Has NYSDOT put any of the construction plans online? If so, perhaps the signing part of the plans would squeal about the designation status of I-99 at the project's immediate end.
Map your cumulative highway travel
Clinched Highway Mapping
http://cmap.m-plex.com/

froggie

QuoteI was pretty sure that the I-99 designation was already written into law for this section (the National Highway Designation Act of 1995 which amended ISTEA of 1991), so they can add actual I-99 shields once that section is brought up to Interstate standards. They would have to petition if they wanted the I-99 designation extended outside the limits of Corridor 9, which stretches from Bedford, PA, to Corning, NY.

The route number is written into law, but PennDOT and NYSDOT will still have to send a formal request to FHWA in order to get approval to actually post the I-99 signs.  It's fewer steps than a normal Interstate addition request, to be sure, but it's still not an automatic thing.  Otherwise, the completed segments of US 15 would have been posted as I-99 already.

vdeane

The plans don't appear to be online.  Additionally, phase two won't be completed until fall 2013; only phase one will be finished in 2012.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Scott5114

Quote from: froggie on September 23, 2009, 03:21:13 PM
QuoteI was pretty sure that the I-99 designation was already written into law for this section (the National Highway Designation Act of 1995 which amended ISTEA of 1991), so they can add actual I-99 shields once that section is brought up to Interstate standards. They would have to petition if they wanted the I-99 designation extended outside the limits of Corridor 9, which stretches from Bedford, PA, to Corning, NY.

The route number is written into law, but PennDOT and NYSDOT will still have to send a formal request to FHWA in order to get approval to actually post the I-99 signs.  It's fewer steps than a normal Interstate addition request, to be sure, but it's still not an automatic thing.  Otherwise, the completed segments of US 15 would have been posted as I-99 already.

Of course, if they go ahead and sign I-99 anyway, nothing happens. ODOT has had US-377 between Madill and Stroud signed for years and it was specifically rejected by AASHTO multiple times. ODOT finally got tired of amending their request and put up the signage in spite of the rejection.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

rickmastfan67

Well, as a last resort, they could always have I-99 take over I-180 if they can't bypass/upgrade US-220 between I-80 and I-180.

froggie

QuoteOf course, if they go ahead and sign I-99 anyway, nothing happens. ODOT has had US-377 between Madill and Stroud signed for years and it was specifically rejected by AASHTO multiple times. ODOT finally got tired of amending their request and put up the signage in spite of the rejection.

Different situation entirely.  US routes only "need" AASHTO approval, which is more a blessing than anything else, although AASHTO decisions are expected to be taken in good faith by the state DOTs.

Interstates, on the other hand, require FHWA approval, and any signage of Interstates would definitely require FHWA approval, especially if Federal funds are being used (which is pretty much the case on these bigger projects).

mgk920

Quote from: froggie on September 24, 2009, 09:38:17 AM
QuoteOf course, if they go ahead and sign I-99 anyway, nothing happens. ODOT has had US-377 between Madill and Stroud signed for years and it was specifically rejected by AASHTO multiple times. ODOT finally got tired of amending their request and put up the signage in spite of the rejection.

Different situation entirely.  US routes only "need" AASHTO approval, which is more a blessing than anything else, although AASHTO decisions are expected to be taken in good faith by the state DOTs.

Interstates, on the other hand, require FHWA approval, and any signage of Interstates would definitely require FHWA approval, especially if Federal funds are being used (which is pretty much the case on these bigger projects).

This is because there is an actual federal trademark registration for the 'interstate' shield and they will go to court if a state starts putting them up without the needed AASHTO/FHWA blessings.

Mike

agentsteel53

sounds like the copyrighting of the designation "Lincoln Highway", which meant that only the route designated by the Lincoln Highway Association could be signed as such.  Basically a guarantee of a minimum standard of road quality, both for that and the interstate system.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.