News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Problem with Inserting 2+ Quotes

Started by webny99, September 26, 2019, 02:01:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

I'm having a very interesting problem when trying to insert a second (or third, etc.) quote into a post.

The first quote shows up fine. But then if I hit "insert quote" to insert a second quote, it doesn't do it, and instead takes me to a new page, with the following message: "An error has occurred! The board you specified does not exist!"

This isn't a huge problem, but it is mildly annoying at best, and I wondered if anyone else is having this issue or if it's something that can be diagnosed?

hotdogPi

Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

kphoger

I had this problem more than once today.  It didn't only happen when trying to insert another quote (and, indeed, didn't always happen when I did) but also occasionally when I clicked the [Preview] button after formatting my quotes and replies.  The first time it happened, I had constructed a rather lengthy post with multiple quotes in it, and then all was lost.  It's gotten to the point that I copy all my text before clicking on anything else, just in case I have to pasted it into a blank reply later.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

rickmastfan67

DaBigE

I've had this issue for a couple days. If I hit the back button, the second quote appeared properly, like nothing ever happened.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

adventurernumber1

This happened to me a few days ago. Due to the fact that I've lost some my drafts in the past from page refresh (that I didn't initiate) on my phone, I've already made a habit of copying my draft in preparation to paste it whenever the page is about to change, and I do it anyway intermittently, just in case the rare automatic page refresh occurs. In this particular incident right now (of not being able to insert more quotes in a post draft), I combated this by copying the first part of my draft, leaving and heading back to the regular forum thread viewing page, then quoted desired quote directly from there, then pasted the part of my draft from earlier I had copied into the new draft (hence editing the parts together). Albeit, this was a much more complicated endeavor, but I found it was at least one way to try to get around this current error.

Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

Alps

We've made an update that has restored users' IP addresses. Curious if it will also solve this issue. I just tested with 2 quotes and it worked fine. Preview seems to work as well.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Alps on September 27, 2019, 06:43:15 PM
We've made an update that has restored users' IP addresses. Curious if it will also solve this issue. I just tested with 2 quotes and it worked fine. Preview seems to work as well.

Fixed for me, too.

webny99

Hmm. It's still doing it to me (on mobile - haven't tried from computer yet). Good to know it can be easily circumvented by just clicking the back arrow (wish I'd thought of that sooner!)

I also just realized it's not specific to the second quote. It's any time the "insert quote" function is used. Clicking "quote" when you don't already have an open post works just fine.

Thanks for looking into it!

Alps

Quote from: webny99 on September 27, 2019, 08:19:19 PM
Hmm. It's still doing it to me (on mobile - haven't tried from computer yet). Good to know it can be easily circumvented by just clicking the back arrow (wish I'd thought of that sooner!)

I also just realized it's not specific to the second quote. It's any time the "insert quote" function is used. Clicking "quote" when you don't already have an open post works just fine.

Okay, so just like chat, this is still broken for some (many?) users.

hotdogPi

Starting a few days ago, going forward/back pages would automatically reload the page, which was not a change that I liked. (My default page on this forum is "recent unread topics", so this makes a big difference.) Fortunately, this seems to have been changed back when the issue was fixed.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: 1 on September 28, 2019, 08:53:16 AM
Starting a few days ago, going forward/back pages would automatically reload the page, which was not a change that I liked. (My default page on this forum is "recent unread topics", so this makes a big difference.) Fortunately, this seems to have been changed back when the issue was fixed.

Yeah, that was annoying me too. lol.

webny99

Quote from: Alps on September 27, 2019, 09:00:11 PM
Hmm. It's still doing it to me (on mobile - haven't tried from computer yet). Good to know it can be easily circumvented by just clicking the back arrow (wish I'd thought of that sooner!

Okay, so just like chat, this is still broken for some (many?) users.

UPDATE: I just tried and it seems to be working fine now.

kphoger

Good to know it can be easily circumvented by just clicking the back arrow (wish I'd thought of that sooner!)

That didn't work for me.  Clicking back would take me back, but all of my text would be gone.

Quote from: 1 on September 28, 2019, 08:53:16 AM

In the past, this issue has depended on what computer I was using.  My computer at home would automatically reload, while my computer at work would not.  I had noticed the recent change on my work computer matching what you described, but I just chalked it up to my browser having taken an update or something like that.  But it's back to normal for me now, with my work computer no longer auto-reloading.

Quote from: webny99 on September 30, 2019, 10:36:17 AM

I haven't posted enough yet to know for sure if it's fixed or not on my end.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on September 30, 2019, 02:08:45 PM

Well, you just quoted three different posts, so that ought to be evidence enough as to whether that issue is fixed.  :-P

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on September 30, 2019, 02:52:21 PM
Quote from: kphoger on September 30, 2019, 02:08:45 PM

Well, you just quoted three different posts, so that ought to be evidence enough as to whether that issue is fixed.  :-P

No, the problem was intermittent for me.
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.