is there a way to delete one's account?

Started by radDFW, July 01, 2022, 11:31:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoadsByArco

i'd like to delete my account on here. any way on how to or do I have to let an administrator know I want to. thanks

Max Rockatansky

Yes, but it is a timed sequence that you have to punch in as code on the password screen.  I'd tell you what the code is, but the timing very precise.  It might just be easier to log out and move on. 

hotdogPi

More serious answer: an account can be deleted, but it's irreversible, and it simply replaces all your posts with one equivalent to an unregistered user. It's easier just to scramble your password.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

1995hoo

Quote from: radDFW on July 01, 2022, 11:31:06 AM
i'd like to delete my account on here. any way on how to or do I have to let an administrator know I want to. thanks

See the discussion in the following locked thread started by infamous user "snowc":

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=30634.0
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 01, 2022, 11:46:40 AM

See the discussion in the following locked thread started by infamous user "snowc":

The best advice was this:

"Perhaps you could change the password to something you could never remember, maybe by typing a bunch of gibberish characters"

And also, in the previous thread linked to in that one, Scott made sure to clarify the following:

"Note that having your account deleted will not delete your posts, however. They will simply be displayed as posted by a guest user with the same name."
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

1995hoo

Quote from: kphoger on July 01, 2022, 11:54:21 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on July 01, 2022, 11:46:40 AM

The best advice was this:

"Perhaps you could change the password to something you could never remember, maybe by typing a bunch of gibberish characters"

Whoever said that sounds like someone with whose opinions I would probably agree. :hmm:
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 01, 2022, 12:41:32 PM
Whoever said that sounds like someone with whose opinions I would probably agree. :hmm:

If you were to vehemently disagree, then that might be cause for concern.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Rothman

You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

RoadsByArco

Quote from: 1 on July 01, 2022, 11:44:02 AM
More serious answer: an account can be deleted, but it's irreversible, and it simply replaces all your posts with one equivalent to an unregistered user. It's easier just to scramble your password.
that's fine. that's all I want to happen anyway.

Scott5114

Just to summarize:

- No, there is no way for a user to delete your own account.
- There is a way for an admin to delete an account, but we have a policy of not doing so, because it doesn't do what the user probably wants, and the only real effect it has is to make life rougher for the staff because it makes it harder for us to look up your post history.
- There is no option to delete all your posts. If there was one, we wouldn't use it anyway, because that would lead to disjointed discussions (and besides people probably quoted some of your posts in their own posts anyway, and deleting your posts wouldn't fix that).
- The easiest way to leave the forum is to just log out and never come back ever again.
- If you are afraid you will come back to the forum and want to prevent that from happening, scramble your password to some kind of gibberish that you won't remember.
- If you want to leave open the option to come back after a certain amount of time passes, or just want to make sure that coming back is more difficult than just logging in, we can issue a ban at user request.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

hbelkins

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 01, 2022, 06:07:02 PM
Just to summarize:

- There is a way for an admin to delete an account, but we have a policy of not doing so, because it doesn't do what the user probably wants, and the only real effect it has is to make life rougher for the staff because it makes it harder for us to look up your post history.
- There is no option to delete all your posts. If there was one, we wouldn't use it anyway, because that would lead to disjointed discussions (and besides people probably quoted some of your posts in their own posts anyway, and deleting your posts wouldn't fix that).
- The easiest way to leave the forum is to just log out and never come back ever again.
- If you are afraid you will come back to the forum and want to prevent that from happening, scramble your password to some kind of gibberish that you won't remember.
- If you want to leave open the option to come back after a certain amount of time passes, or just want to make sure that coming back is more difficult than just logging in, we can issue a ban at user request.

Maybe some of this stuff needs to be put in a pinned post entitled "How to leave the forum" so the question won't be asked over and over again.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Rothman

Quote from: hbelkins on July 01, 2022, 08:34:59 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on July 01, 2022, 06:07:02 PM
Just to summarize:

Maybe some of this stuff needs to be put in a pinned post entitled "How to leave the forum" so the question won't be asked over and over again.
Over and over?  I think it's been asked thrice.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

Quote from: Rothman on July 01, 2022, 09:14:46 PM

:nod:

The first time, it was asked.
The second time, it was asked over again.
The third time, it was asked over and over.
Male pronouns, please.

Rothman

Quote from: kphoger on July 01, 2022, 10:42:12 PM

Who knew over and over was such a low bar?  Always sounded like it was more than that.

kphoger

To be fair, the phrase HB used was "over and over again", which does imply at least one more iteration than just "over and over".
Male pronouns, please.

dlsterner

Quote from: kphoger on July 01, 2022, 10:42:12 PM

Quote from: kphoger on July 01, 2022, 11:32:31 PM
To be fair, the phrase HB used was "over and over again", which does imply at least one more iteration than just "over and over".

Well, it was asked three times, which was "asked over and over".
We're trying to prevent a fourth time, which would be "asked over and over again".

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.