News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Road Trip Days 5 - 7 (SD, NE, KS, OK)

Started by rte66man, June 26, 2012, 08:49:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rte66man

Spent a day seeing the sights in and around Rapid City. Got to clinch I190  :clap:

Never seen a wooden-beamed bridge outside a national park before this one where US16A veers off towards Mount Rushmore:

The overall condition of the roads in and about Rushmore were superb except for this:

The Needles Highway was quite an adventure plus it cost $15!!! It's in Custer State Park. If you want to drive the road, you have to pay the day fee.  :verymad:

Headed out from there south on US385 to Chadron, NE.  More construction:

Not much of interest until I came across the following sign (discussed in a separate thread):

I80 in Nebraska was under construction in large stretches. However, I like the way they are handling it. You are narrowed to one lane for 4-5 miles, go back to 2 lanes for 2-3 to allow for passing, then back to one lane.  I wish OK would do that.

Hit US81 at York and headed south towards home.  Did not care that the NE part bypassed towns yet slowed the speed limit to 55 or lower. KS did not do that.  We made much better time south of the border. 

Clinched I135 and saw some VERY large grain elevators. Also saw this odd BGS:

Does anyone know why KS is using such a small font?

rte66man

When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

apeman33

Those small-font Kansas BGSes are from a period of time when KDOT was making some very shoddy signs (roughly from the mid 90s to the very early oughts). There used to be such signs on U.S. 69 at K-68 near Louisburg but those have been replaced.

US71

Quote from: rte66man on June 26, 2012, 08:49:35 PM

Never seen a wooden-beamed bridge outside a national park before this one where US16A veers off towards Mount Rushmore:

http://bridgehunter.com/sd/pennington/52308412/
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

route56

Could I get a higher-resolution shot. It looks like that K-104 shield has a black border.

If there is a black border on the shield, I'd guess that this is a contractor-designed replacement sign.
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

rte66man

Quote from: route56 on June 30, 2012, 11:13:26 PM

Could I get a higher-resolution shot. It looks like that K-104 shield has a black border.

If there is a black border on the shield, I'd guess that this is a contractor-designed replacement sign.

Looks orange to me.

rte66man
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

M86

SDDOT is/was actually considering decommissioning I-190 into Rapid City.  I believe this idea has been thrown out (as it should have).
Here is the planning info:  http://sddot.com/transportation/highways/planning/specialstudies/i190/default.aspx

route56

Quote from: rte66man on July 01, 2012, 05:04:46 PM

As I thought.... It's a contractor built sign (presumably) replacing a wreck-damaged sign. KDOT had replaced all the signage along this stretch of I-135 when they rebulit the roadway a few years back.
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.