News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Oregon

Started by Hurricane Rex, December 12, 2017, 06:15:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bickendan

Division did receive a road diet between SE 60th and 79th (4 lanes, no shoulders or turn lane -> 2 lanes with turn lane and bike shoulders), and there I grudgingly admit it worked. East of there, it's the full width artery inner Division wishes it were.

Sub-Urbanite

Quote from: Bickendan on May 15, 2018, 08:58:47 PM
Division did receive a road diet between SE 60th and 79th (4 lanes, no shoulders or turn lane -> 2 lanes with turn lane and bike shoulders), and there I grudgingly admit it worked. East of there, it's the full width artery inner Division wishes it were.

Yeah, I mean, I think the road diets have been effective at slowing down traffic most of the day. On Glisan, on inner Burnside, on Division, on outer Holgate, sure.

But did they create more cyclists? Nope. Did they increase congestion, particularly at key intersections? Yep. Did they do anything for transit? Not a damn thing.

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: Sub-Urbanite on May 16, 2018, 12:57:29 PM

Yeah, I mean, I think the road diets have been effective at slowing down traffic most of the day. On Glisan, on inner Burnside, on Division, on outer Holgate, sure.

But did they create more cyclists? Nope. Did they increase congestion, particularly at key intersections? Yep. Did they do anything for transit? Not a damn thing.
I don't even want to start to think what will happen when Barbur is dieted to a max line. :ded:

LG-TP260

ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

Sub-Urbanite

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on May 16, 2018, 01:03:07 PM

I don't even want to start to think what will happen when Barbur is dieted to a max line. :ded:

LG-TP260

Pretty sure that's not on the table.

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: Sub-Urbanite on May 16, 2018, 02:48:24 PM
Quote from: Hurricane Rex on May 16, 2018, 01:03:07 PM

LG-TP260

Pretty sure that's not on the table.
According to the mayor of Sherwood, it is on the table.

LG-TP260

Running till I die.

Tarkus

Quote from: Bickendan on May 14, 2018, 09:08:33 PM
That 30 on Division really irks me, especially since PBOT also wants to ram it down Stark east of 108th.

The good news is, it appears ODOT told them to shove it with Stark.  A new Speed Zone Order came out for Stark today--J9262--and specifies a 35mph speed limit for Stark between 109th and 179th.  It's actually identical in content to Speed Zone Order J9105 from June 2017 (from when the reductionistas fowled up the east end of the couplet and got it dumped down to 30).

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on May 17, 2018, 01:23:01 PM
According to the mayor of Sherwood, it is on the table.

It's been a rumor that's floated around for awhile.  I'd imagine there's definitely some Metro/PBOT types that would be all over that.

Hurricane Rex

Be warned: If you are travelling SB 205 to SB I-5, the speed limit drops from 65 to 55 for about 1500 feet before it goes back up to 65. It is a construction zone (with nothing except dirt movement happening) and there is no warning of the drop. Speed trap is possible here.

LG-TP260

Running till I die.

Bickendan

Where specifically,  and could you add that to the I-205 thread?

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: Bickendan on May 20, 2018, 04:13:45 AM
Where specifically,  and could you add that to the I-205 thread?
I can't because the decrease happens as you come onto I-5 from 205, which wouldn't fit that thread. 65 up until you finish crossing the bridge over I-5, drops to 55 (sign on the left side at the merge), and goes back up to 65 1/3 of a mile south. It is related to the SB I-5 widening as far as I can tell.

Also, covered and turned 45 signs are posted between TSR and Capitol highway SB only. The 55 limit is still in effect but could change at any time.

LG-TP260

Running till I die.

Bickendan

Gotcha. Thought it was on the 95th Ave portion; haven't seen anything like that posted.
Speaking of I-5, however, I should send an inquiry if ODOT has any plans of widening I-5 between Elligsen and Wilsonville Rd; should be widened until the OR 551 split, really.

Sub-Urbanite

Quote from: Bickendan on May 23, 2018, 03:23:47 AM
Gotcha. Thought it was on the 95th Ave portion; haven't seen anything like that posted.
Speaking of I-5, however, I should send an inquiry if ODOT has any plans of widening I-5 between Elligsen and Wilsonville Rd; should be widened until the OR 551 split, really.

There's some talk about making some kind of fix to the Boone Bridge, but any widening would require a full replacement, plus probably extending a 4th lane (Oregon blasphemy) northbound all the way to I-205... so, about that billion dollars...

Bickendan

I-5 is 8 lanes from Elligsen to I-205 already.

Hurricane Rex

Running till I die.

Sub-Urbanite

A few random musings — 

- I-205 got a fixed concrete median from Division to Stark last night.

- Southwest Corridor DEIS is out. Nothing too surprising, but notably, one proposed alignment also includes turning the Naito/Ross Island Bridge interchange into a signalized intersection.

Bickendan

Is there a link to the SW DEIS?

Bruce

I've come across a little newspaper article from 1964 that talks about a proposal to extend Interstate 80N to Astoria. Does anyone know what happened to it?

And for that matter, what happened to the I-82 proposal from 1999? I've seen it discussed in a few places, but haven't been able to track down any additional information.

Bickendan

My first thought this I-80N is really the I-505 proposal, slated to run from I-405 along NW Vaughn St and St Helens Rd all the way out to Clatskanie via Scappoose, St Helens, and Rainier. I have drawings of the St Helens Rd portion to the Yeon/Kittridge Ave intersection somewhere.

As for I-82... was it something like extending it south and west toward Bend?

Sub-Urbanite

Quote from: Bruce on June 25, 2018, 10:56:06 PM
I've come across a little newspaper article from 1964 that talks about a proposal to extend Interstate 80N to Astoria. Does anyone know what happened to it?

And for that matter, what happened to the I-82 proposal from 1999? I've seen it discussed in a few places, but haven't been able to track down any additional information.

Yet again, a shame that they went for the Big Blue Shield and didn't start with an expressway out there.

As for the 1999 proposal, I think this is the report you're looking for: https://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/Planning/Documents/Eastern-Oregon-Freeway-Alternatives-Study.pdf

Bruce

That report is helpful. I've been asking around various libraries to see if they have a specific Bend Bulletin article from 1999 that describes the proposal as well.

All of this to spruce up the Interstate 82 entry on Wikipedia.

Hurricane Rex

http://www.columbian.com/news/2018/jul/11/portland-city-council-pushes-immediate-tolls-i-5-i-205/

I'm ending my long pause off the forum to post this. Great way to get back from a 3 week vacation/registering for college classes (not). Also public comment is open and I highly encourage you to speak your mind. For me, its a NO! You should know why.

Submit comments here:
https://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/Pages/Value-Pricing-Comments.aspx

LG-TP260

Running till I die.

Bruce

As I continue my digging through the Oregon archive for I-5 opening dates, I stumbled across a nice sign spec sheet from the 1940s or 1950s.

Enjoy: https://digital.osl.state.or.us/islandora/object/osl%3A7705

Hurricane Rex

https://pamplinmedia.com/pt/9-news/401672-298054-initiative-would-require-vote-on-tolls

There is now an initiative petition to not allow tolls in Oregon unless passed by voters. Would be on the 2020 ballot. Thoughts?

My POV: Thank you Rep. Nearman for starting this. If ODOT and PBOT (mostly PBOT) wasn't so pro toll with no added capacity, I'd be more hesitant, but since these 2 organizations have violated common engineering practices and federal law when it comes tolling (you must add lanes on existing interstates if you want to toll them), I'm 110% for it.

LG-TP260

Running till I die.

jakeroot

Tolling approvable only by initiative? That's great, if you never want to see tolls. Voters would never vote to toll themselves. That's like asking voters if they want a sales tax. If there was already a toll, I could see voting to increase the toll by X-number of cents to pay for certain new things, but asking voters outright for permission to toll is suicide if tolling is seriously being considered.

So, no, I think that's a dumb initiative. Leave budgeting to the senators. If Oregonians don't like tolling, they need to get rid of the politicians who approve of it.

OT: Express toll lanes should be added to the 205 to improve the bypass' capacity. Not personally a fan of full-blown tolling, except of bridges, and new construction.

vdeane

I don't mind toll express lanes either (within reason... I don't support I-77 NC since they're willing to widen everything else as free lanes but for some reason wanted a toll for I-77), but the current proposal is to toll everything, so this initiative is needed.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jakeroot

Quote from: vdeane on July 25, 2018, 08:46:47 PM
I don't mind toll express lanes either (within reason... I don't support I-77 NC since they're willing to widen everything else as free lanes but for some reason wanted a toll for I-77), but the current proposal is to toll everything, so this initiative is needed.

Express toll lanes would only be installed if approved by the public, which they would never do. The public just wants more and more GP lanes.

This initiative effectively bans tolls in Oregon. Are you sure that's a good idea? There's never a good reason for a toll? No situation where it's appropriate?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.