News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Interstate 22

Started by Snappyjack, January 26, 2009, 11:56:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

codyg1985

Somewhat related to I-22; the April 26th ALDOT letting has a project to widen Coalburg Road between I-22 and Daniel Payne Drive.

Coalburg Road is the last exit open on I-22 going eastbound. Right now it dumps traffic onto a two-lane road. Trucks aren't supposed to use I-22 past the US 78 exit in Graysville. This project may allow trucks to use the entire open stretch of I-22 once the widening project is finished, and should be a stop-gap solution until the I-22/I-65 interchange is complete.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

agentsteel53

no state name?  both states are using the state name on new installs, no?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

codyg1985

And here is another article about the I-22 signs going up. Apparently they will be going up in Walker County too.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Grzrd

Quote from: codyg1985 on April 03, 2013, 10:36:48 PM
It is indeed signed in Marion County only, for now (this is looking east at the MS/AL State Line

Thanks for great field confirmation on a rainy day!  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Grzrd on December 14, 2012, 11:45:24 AM
AASHTO recently said that Alabama has to wait until Mississippi submits an application, but this Mississippi DOT Press Release states that Mississippi has permission to designate US 78 as I-22 from the Alabama state line to US 45 in Tupelo:
... MDOT has been approved to designate this section of road, from the Alabama state line to Highway 45 in Tupelo, as Interstate 22.

Now, will Mississippi follow Alabama's lead?

NE2

Please move US 78 back to the old road.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

lordsutch

Quote from: NE2 on April 04, 2013, 03:27:36 PM

The old road is discontinuous in two spots.  So good luck with that.

froggie

Impossible in at least two locations (Tenn-Tom and MS/AL line) due to the old road simply no longer existing.

agentsteel53

Quote from: lordsutch on April 04, 2013, 04:45:05 PM
Quote from: NE2 on April 04, 2013, 03:27:36 PM

The old road is discontinuous in two spots.  So good luck with that.

it can be moved back on quite a few spots, then.  US-5 was blown away by I-91 in precisely one spot; it is simply multiplexed there.  the rest of it is independent routing.  78/22 can be done analogously.

jake@aaroads.com

Grzrd

Quote from: codyg1985 on November 28, 2012, 11:00:28 AM
From the Special Committee on U.S. Route Numbering Annual Meeting, It looks like I-22 was conditionally approved, pending approval from FHWA and application from Mississippi.

By not waiting on the application from Mississippi, Alabama did not wait for AASHTO approval before installing the signs.  On the other hand, an email response I received from MDOT today indicates they do indeed have FHWA approval and are simply waiting for AASHTO approval before signing the MS/AL state line to US 45 in Tupelo segment as I-22:

FHWA has approved the section between the State-line and US 45, but there is still one step left before we install signs. This will be taken up and voted on by the AASHTO Route Committee this spring. Once they approve, then we will be able to install signs.

froggie

Quoteit can be moved back on quite a few spots, then.  US-5 was blown away by I-91 in precisely one spot; it is simply multiplexed there.  the rest of it is independent routing.  78/22 can be done analogously.

Not if AASHTO is following their own standards.  Their policy on US route numbering states that US routes should be over the shortest routes and the best roads.  Existing US routes paralleling Interstates (i.e. your I-91/US 5 example) remain because their respective states never got around to moving them.  But since US 78 has moved to the freeway, it shouldn't go back.  For AASHTO to approve putting it back on the old road would be to go against their own policy.

NE2

Screw AASHTO. NC ignored them when moving US 117 off I-795.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

agentsteel53

Quote from: froggie on April 04, 2013, 08:17:11 PM
Not if AASHTO is following their own standards.  Their policy on US route numbering states that US routes should be over the shortest routes and the best roads.  Existing US routes paralleling Interstates (i.e. your I-91/US 5 example) remain because their respective states never got around to moving them.  But since US 78 has moved to the freeway, it shouldn't go back.  For AASHTO to approve putting it back on the old road would be to go against their own policy.

was this the policy when US-40 was moved onto I-70 in Ohio, and then moved back off, in the 1970s?

jake@aaroads.com

NE2

Quote from: froggie on April 04, 2013, 08:17:11 PM
Existing US routes paralleling Interstates (i.e. your I-91/US 5 example) remain because their respective states never got around to moving them.
More like they chose not to move them (or moved them back in the early days, like US 1/I-95 in eastern Connecticut and Mr. Steel's US 40/I-70). AASHTO eventually admitted its mistake in trying to eliminate split-suffixed routes in the 1930s and 40s.

lordsutch

In this case, because US 78 ends in Memphis and it has multiple breaks in its route (in addition to the two physical breaks in the route, existing MS 178 is discontinuous in signage in both Holly Springs and Tupelo), the route is really redundant west of Birmingham and probably should be decommissioned or be moved to a more independently useful route.

At best I could see justification for putting US 78 back onto the AL 5-118 route east of US 43, where I-22 is not as closely parallel to the old US 78 routing.

WashuOtaku

Quote from: NE2 on April 04, 2013, 08:31:13 PM

NCDOT got an exception moving US 117 back on its old route when they created I-795, so bigger trucks can use the new freeway.

NE2

Quote from: WashuOtaku on April 06, 2013, 01:59:11 PM
Quote from: NE2 on April 04, 2013, 08:31:13 PM

NCDOT got an exception moving US 117 back on its old route when they created I-795, so bigger trucks can use the new freeway.

Huh? They submitted the change to AASHTO but were denied.

cjk374

Quote from: lordsutch on April 05, 2013, 09:36:21 PM
In this case, because US 78 ends in Memphis and it has multiple breaks in its route (in addition to the two physical breaks in the route, existing MS 178 is discontinuous in signage in both Holly Springs and Tupelo), the route is really redundant west of Birmingham and probably should be decommissioned or be moved to a more independently useful route.

At best I could see justification for putting US 78 back onto the AL 5-118 route east of US 43, where I-22 is not as closely parallel to the old US 78 routing.
IMHO, all interstates need a parallel route close by in case a detour is needed due to any blockages or hinderances on the interstate.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

lordsutch

Quote from: cjk374 on April 13, 2013, 10:48:50 PM
IMHO, all interstates need a parallel route close by in case a detour is needed due to any blockages or hinderances on the interstate.

I'm not saying MS 178 and AL 118 should be bulldozed and the earth salted so all traffic is forced to stay on I-22.  There's just no need to move US 78 back to the old route.

froggie

QuoteIMHO, all interstates need a parallel route close by in case a detour is needed due to any blockages or hinderances on the interstate.

I don't disagree, but as with lordsutch, there's no need for such a parallel route to be a US route.

Alps

Quote from: cjk374 on April 13, 2013, 10:48:50 PM
Quote from: lordsutch on April 05, 2013, 09:36:21 PM

IMHO, all highways need a parallel route close by in case a detour is needed. Oh, yeah, that'd be silly.

NE2

Not so silly. Connectivity is a very good thing no matter where you are.

Alps

Quote from: NE2 on April 14, 2013, 08:12:46 AM
Not so silly. Connectivity is a very good thing no matter where you are.
What I said is silly. Connectivity is not.

Grzrd

Charles2

Why do I look at these pictures and think that there's not a snowball's chance in hell that the interchange will be completed by the announced target date of October, 2014?  It seems like every time I drive through this it's hard to see a lot of tangible progress.

Bamaroadgeek

Quote from: Charles2 on April 27, 2013, 09:17:10 PM
Why do I look at these pictures and think that there's not a snowball's chance in hell that the interchange will be completed by the announced target date of October, 2014? 

Because there's not.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.