What do you do when a scam operation calls you?

Started by kphoger, March 13, 2019, 01:56:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you do when a scam operation calls you?  Choose as many as apply.

My phone alerts me that they're scammers, so I never even answer
I answer and then immediately hang up
I pretend to play along for a while before finally ending the call
I chew them out for calling
Other
I never get scam calls

dlsterner

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 28, 2019, 11:20:46 PM
I just block the numbers.
Sadly, that's a never-ending battle since the spammers keep hopping from number to number.  Often, spoofed number to spoofed number.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: dlsterner on March 28, 2019, 11:36:36 PM
Sadly, that's a never-ending battle since the spammers keep hopping from number to number.  Often, spoofed number to spoofed number.

Essentially 99% of the calls I get from out of the area tend to be the spam variety.  At least with modern iPhones it is just couple click process.  Older Verizon plans had a limit on how many numbers could be blocked. 

hotdogPi

Even without blocking, I still have never gotten the same number twice for spam calls.
Clinched

Traveled, plus 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

New:
I-189 clinched
US 7, VT 2A, 11, 15,  17, 73, 103, 116, 125, NH 123 traveled

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: 1 on March 29, 2019, 06:35:15 AM

Even without blocking, I still have never gotten the same number twice for spam calls.

Usually mine are fairly consistent.  I've been getting one the last couple days from the 718 area code number.  There is someone who has a couple dozen 602 numbers that has been calling in every consecutive number when I block them.

texaskdog

I'm on the no call list and these back pain @$$holes keep calling.  I scream in their ears "STOP F*CKING CALLING ME".  Politely telling them I'm on the no call list just elicited hang ups and more calls.  Sprint won't give me a new number without paying them to do it.

texaskdog

Yep I called one of them back 10 times and they didn't speak English and a cop called and threatened me.  I said I had a number of calls from their number but he didn't care.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: texaskdog on March 29, 2019, 08:40:01 AM
I'm on the no call list and these back pain @$$holes keep calling.  I scream in their ears "STOP F*CKING CALLING ME".  Politely telling them I'm on the no call list just elicited hang ups and more calls.  Sprint won't give me a new number without paying them to do it.

Most of the spam calls are auto generated.  It really wouldn't matter if you changed your number you would still get them from another scam caller.  The level of frustration of having to yell or voice your opinion to every spam call seems excessive in comparison to a simple block or not answering.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: texaskdog on March 29, 2019, 08:40:48 AM

Yep I called one of them back 10 times and they didn't speak English and a cop called and threatened me.  I said I had a number of calls from their number but he didn't care.

Yeah, because YOU'RE the one doing the harassing.  If I got a call from someone spoofing your number, and I called you back 10 times screaming at you, what are you going to do?  You didn't originate the calls; you can't do a damn thing about it. And you would be right to call the police on me!

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: 1 on March 29, 2019, 06:35:15 AM

I've received the same number several times.  There was one for chimney cleaning that was so bad (I'm talking at least a hundred calls from the same number), I went on their Yelp page and trashed them,
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

1995hoo

CNN has an update on the Verizon Call Filter app. Sounds like the free version doesn't do anything that other apps already do.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

Has anyone else noticed that these scammers never call on a Sunday or during a holiday?  I'm intrigued by the fact that these people, who make a living stealing money from the elderly and infirm, respect our society's days off.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

J N Winkler

Quote from: kphoger on January 14, 2021, 12:50:43 PMHas anyone else noticed that these scammers never call on a Sunday or during a holiday?  I'm intrigued by the fact that these people, who make a living stealing money from the elderly and infirm, respect our society's days off.

I was intrigued enough by this idea that I checked my call log to verify.  There were no calls listed at all, so I couldn't tell.  (This doesn't mean I haven't gotten any scam calls at all.  I was forced to accept a remanufactured phone when an attempt to replace the battery on the phone I've had since 2014 trashed the motherboard, and I suspect the version of the call handler app I have now automatically drops calls from the log unless there is ongoing contact.)

I suspect that, to the extent scammers do abstain from Sundays and holidays, it is to minimize the chances of a scam being disrupted by a family member capable of seeing it for what it is.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

doorknob60

Lately I've been getting more than usual, but they all spoof my area code. The trick is, my area code is not where I live anymore, so it's rare that anyone calls me from that area code, so if it's a number I don't recognize with my area code, I can be almost certain that it's spoofed and is spam. So I just don't answer. Sometimes my phone will say "Suspected Spam", sometimes not. And for non-spam calls, the phone tries to search the name/business of who is calling me, which is somewhat accurate and can be helpful. Anything actually important will leave a voicemail and I can call back, but so far it's been pretty foolproof.

kphoger

Quote from: doorknob60 on January 14, 2021, 02:46:12 PM
Lately I've been getting more than usual, but they all spoof my area code. The trick is, my area code is not where I live anymore, so it's rare that anyone calls me from that area code, so if it's a number I don't recognize with my area code, I can be almost certain that it's spoofed and is spam. So I just don't answer. Sometimes my phone will say "Suspected Spam", sometimes not. And for non-spam calls, the phone tries to search the name/business of who is calling me, which is somewhat accurate and can be helpful. Anything actually important will leave a voicemail and I can call back, but so far it's been pretty foolproof.

I sometimes ask them how they ended up with a Wichita cell phone number, if they're calling me from a landline in Miami or Las Vegas or wherever they say they're calling me from.  Never gotten an answer to that question...
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

Quote from: J N Winkler on January 14, 2021, 01:53:01 PM
I suspect that, to the extent scammers do abstain from Sundays and holidays, it is to minimize the chances of a scam being disrupted by a family member capable of seeing it for what it is.

In other words, the family members who are usually at work are more likely to be home on Sundays and holidays. Interesting and probably accurate.

kphoger

I just told the scammer (auto-prompter asking to confirm personal details) who called me a minute ago that my name is Bob Salman.  :)

And, in case anyone is wondering what kind of vehicle I drive, I always tell them it's a 2008 Mercedes Trailblazer.  Don't ask me how many miles are on it, because it doesn't have an odometer.  Usually they just ask me to estimate, so I estimate 20,000 miles.

Also, my ZIP code is apparently 27980, and my address is Orilla de Agua 36.  Don't worry about that being in a foreign country, because people in India never make it past the pronunciation of the street name.
Male pronouns, please.

US71

My mom was often a sucker for the charity calls.  I got calls when I was cleaning out her apartment and they were thanking me for my latest donation.  I insisted they were wrong and they insisted they were correct.  That's when I pulled out both barrels "the person you want is no longer here. She died and I'm just cleaning her apartment."

My aunt was a sucker for the childrens' charities and was always sending them money. One day, she finally got wise and told them to go away.

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

JayhawkCO

As someone else posted higher up in the thread, I keep my 913 area code from when I lived in KC.  I know I'm not meeting anyone new from KC anytime soon now living in Denver, so every Kansas number (sometimes also 316 and 602) I see that isn't already a contact, I know is spam.  That said, I am starting a new job with a KC based company (working remotely) so my plan just may have been spoiled.

Chris

kphoger

I've been noticing a lot of calls lately from 11316####### (an extra 1 at the beginning) or 1316###### (a missing digit somewhere).

Twice in one day recently, I got a call from 316.  That's it, just three digits.  Ummmm, yeah.
Male pronouns, please.

kphoger

I also now keep a bogus Visa credit card number in my wallet, so I can whip that out if needed.  It's in the correct numeric format, and its check digit works.  They have to look up what bank it was issued from in order to know it's not real.
Male pronouns, please.

SectorZ

Quote from: kphoger on January 14, 2021, 03:53:16 PM
I've been noticing a lot of calls lately from 11316####### (an extra 1 at the beginning) or 1316###### (a missing digit somewhere).

Twice in one day recently, I got a call from 316.  That's it, just three digits.  Ummmm, yeah.

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have an eternal lifetime of scam calls directed at them.

kphoger

Not a fan of the Amplified Bible, personally...
Male pronouns, please.

Flint1979

I straight up got a call from someone saying I owed $10,000 for some involvement in a marketing program. I told them to send me something by mail and I'll turn it over to my Attorney. They said well we will be turning this over to an Attorney. I said that's fine I'll contact my Attorney and I hung up on them.

1995hoo

I'm surprised so many of you answer all these calls.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 14, 2021, 04:51:22 PM
I'm surprised so many of you answer all these calls.

1.  I want to make sure it isn't someone really trying to get a hold of me.  I dislike the process of ignoring a call, getting a voicemail, listening to the voicemail, calling the person back, possibly having to play phone tag...  I'd rather just find out in three seconds if it's really someone trying to call me.

2.  I'd rather waste their time, even if just for a little bit, than have them use that time to call an actual victim.

3.  If I ignore the call, sometimes I still get a voicemail that I have to make sure isn't legitimate and then delete.  Too much hassle.
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.