The Shape of Minnesota, according to State Route Marker fabricators

Started by MNHighwayMan, April 13, 2017, 07:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MNHighwayMan

I have an extensive collection of route markers, all of which are from Minnesota (except for one, a North Dakota 200 marker). In seeing so many signs close up, one begins to pick up on the little variances between them, even though they're all supposed to fit to one standard. Here, I've selected several good (and not so good) examples of what sign fabricators think Minnesota looks like.

Album here: https://imgur.com/a/sUp9T

7/8

Interesting close-up shots; it's cool seeing the different variations on the same state shape.

Just curious, what's the rough size of the Minnesota state shape on these route markers? I'm just trying to get a sense of the scale (i.e. how close would have to be to notice these details?)

MNHighwayMan

The MN Standard Signs Manual lists the height of the outline at 5" for a 24" shield and 7.6" for a 36" shield (all of the ones in the album are from 24" shields). It does not specify a width.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.