DFW Projects Thread

Started by austrini, July 06, 2009, 04:12:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

txstateends

www.dallasnews.com/news/transportation/2017/03/17/heads-big-changes-coming-weekend-30-drivers-headed-north-35

Changes starting this weekend in the downtown Dallas Horseshoe project, this time involving I-30 EB from the Margaret McDermott bridge:

* Between Beckley and Riverfront, this Friday and Saturday after 10pm, various lanes will close.  Those exiting to I-35E NB will be shifted over from a left connector to a right one.

* For traffic going to SB I-35E, a new direct connector will open up; that ramp will begin from the middle lane of I-30 EB.

YT vid of TxDOT's explanation....
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

dallasnomad730

Took these yesterday looks kinda the same only they made it confusing if you don't read the signs quick enough...  :)

longhorn

Its amazing the progress they are making on the mix master.

Bobby5280

I just noticed in Google Earth the imagery for the Dallas-Fort Worth area has been updated. Nearly all the DFW metroplex has imagery dated 1/27/2017. Previously much of the DFW imagery was from early in 2016 or earlier. It's kind of amazing how many large road construction projects are going on in the DFW area right now. It's not much fun for anyone driving in that stuff daily. But it's still interesting from that perspective that some projects, like the TX-360 extension South of I-20 were waiting to start for many years, but are now in progress. The I-820 & I-35W interchange North of Fort Worth still looks like it's a long way from being finished. It seems like they've been working on that interchange forever.

longhorn

Quote from: Bobby5280 on April 04, 2017, 11:13:16 PM
I just noticed in Google Earth the imagery for the Dallas-Fort Worth area has been updated. Nearly all the DFW metroplex has imagery dated 1/27/2017. Previously much of the DFW imagery was from early in 2016 or earlier. It's kind of amazing how many large road construction projects are going on in the DFW area right now. It's not much fun for anyone driving in that stuff daily. But it's still interesting from that perspective that some projects, like the TX-360 extension South of I-20 were waiting to start for many years, but are now in progress. The I-820 & I-35W interchange North of Fort Worth still looks like it's a long way from being finished. It seems like they've been working on that interchange forever.

The Dallas Horshoe project will be done in a couple of months. I believe all traffic flows are in their new permanent position. The HOV lane on 35 needs to be completed but that's about it. Can't believe they rebuilt the whole complex and kept traffic moving.

Plutonic Panda

Isn't I-45 going to be relocated as part of the next wave of freeway construction around Downtown Dallas?

Brian556

No. US 175 is. It will tie in directly to I-45 instead of using OLD US 75

compdude787

Quote from: Brian556 on April 05, 2017, 03:19:29 PM
No. US 175 is. It will tie in directly to I-45 instead of using OLD US 75

So I guess that means that I-45 will have to be widened and old US 75 will be turned into a surface arterial?

Chris

The C.F. Hawn Freeway extension to I-45 on the newest satellite imagery:

Bobby5280

Quote from: Plutonic PandaIsn't I-45 going to be relocated as part of the next wave of freeway construction around Downtown Dallas?

Certain groups are campaigning for the removal of unsigned I-345 between the I-30/I-45 interchange and the US-75/Woodall Rogers interchange. The existing elevated highway separates downtown Dallas and Deep Ellum. The elevated highway is aging and needs to be replaced. The big debate is over what kind of highway or street should be built in its place.

I personally think any replacement should be a freeway rather than an at-grade street. There's too much traffic coming from Northbound I-45 and Southbound US-75 to just suddenly hit traffic lights at Canton St, Commerce St, Main St, Elm St, Pacific Ave, Live Oak St, Good Latimer Expy and Ross Ave. A major at-grade surface street through there would create a grid-lock clusterf***.

I think the best solution would be a depressed freeway that is capped with green space in key places. It would cost a lot of money, but this is one of America's most important city centers. Plus, in the long term I think I-45 should be extended from Dallas into Oklahoma.

dallasnomad730

( I think the best solution would be a depressed freeway that is capped with green space in key places. It would cost a lot of money, but this is one of America's most important city centers. Plus, in the long term I think I-45 should be extended from Dallas into Oklahoma. )

I wish so too it would make sense for I-45 in Dallas connect to Tulsa, maybe Kansas City, but that's just a pipe dream, I heard rumors about a I-45 expansion to Oklahoma, but it's just talk at best. It would be great if it became a reality!

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: Bobby5280 on April 05, 2017, 04:49:15 PM
Quote from: Plutonic PandaIsn't I-45 going to be relocated as part of the next wave of freeway construction around Downtown Dallas?

Certain groups are campaigning for the removal of unsigned I-345 between the I-30/I-45 interchange and the US-75/Woodall Rogers interchange. The existing elevated highway separates downtown Dallas and Deep Ellum. The elevated highway is aging and needs to be replaced. The big debate is over what kind of highway or street should be built in its place.

I personally think any replacement should be a freeway rather than an at-grade street. There's too much traffic coming from Northbound I-45 and Southbound US-75 to just suddenly hit traffic lights at Canton St, Commerce St, Main St, Elm St, Pacific Ave, Live Oak St, Good Latimer Expy and Ross Ave. A major at-grade surface street through there would create a grid-lock clusterf***.

I think the best solution would be a depressed freeway that is capped with green space in key places. It would cost a lot of money, but this is one of America's most important city centers. Plus, in the long term I think I-45 should be extended from Dallas into Oklahoma.
I agree with everything you said.

nguyenhm16

TxDOT just posted a video of I-635 east in its contemplated final configuration:
https://youtu.be/xrfjYc-Ubr0

At least in the rendering the Skillman St. bridge looks a lot like the bridges over I-69/US-59 east of Shepherd in Houston.

Chris

There are also plans to widen I-30 east of Dallas to the Hunt County line.

Proposed improvements to I-30 would reconstruct and/or widen this highway from Bass Pro Road in Dallas County to west of FM 2642 in Rockwall County, approximately 17 miles through the Cities of Garland, Rowlett, Rockwall, Mobile City, Fate, and Royse City.

The proposed improvements include widening from 4 to 6 lanes from west of State Highway (SH) 205 to west of FM 2642; widening from 6 to 8 lanes from Bass Pro Drive to west of SH 205; construction of new frontage roads from Bass Pro Drive to Horizon Road (including bridge structures across Lake Ray Hubbard)

http://txdot.gov/inside-txdot/get-involved/about/hearings-meetings/dallas/042717.html

compdude787

That interchange looks great! What's with the Clearview font still being used on the signs?

Bobby5280

While I like the additional lanes and traffic capacity the Horseshoe project is adding to the mix-master I'm not a fan of the bridge pier design. I don't know what it is, but the rounded design on those support columns and lack of any decorative touches just makes it all look very bland. It makes me think of plastic fixtures in a shower. I suppose this is an "upgrade" from the plain but angular piers on other DFW interchanges like I-820 & TX-183, but it's a big step down from decorative bridge piers like the ones in the High Five Interchange (I-635 & US-75).

dallasnomad730

While I like the additional lanes and traffic capacity the Horseshoe project is adding to the mix-master I'm not a fan of the bridge pier design. I don't know what it is, but the rounded design on those support columns and lack of any decorative touches just makes it all look very bland. It makes me think of plastic fixtures in a shower. I suppose this is an "upgrade" from the plain but angular piers on other DFW interchanges like I-820 & TX-183, but it's a big step down from decorative bridge piers like the ones in the High Five Interchange (I-635 & US-75).

I agree, i wish the bridges would've been decorated brown and with a little extra icing on the cake make the horseshoe design with a lone star shaped avatars like the I-10/US 62 interchange in El Paso.

https://www.google.com/maps/@31.7776902,-106.4384909,3a,19.7y,288.86h,88.98t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sahOvqDgMUpkKwr5MmDkpFQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1?hl=en

AsphaltPlanet

Quote from: compdude787 on April 30, 2017, 05:47:56 PM
That interchange looks great! What's with the Clearview font still being used on the signs?

The contract to build the interchange was executed before FHWA rescinded it's approval for the font on the signs.  To change back to highway gothic, TxDot would have needed to execute a change order within the contract, which may have incurred a financial penalty.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

J N Winkler

The rounded edges and lack of articulation on the bridge piers has more than a whiff of Fisher-Price's My First Freeway Interchange.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

compdude787

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on April 30, 2017, 06:47:36 PM
Quote from: compdude787 on April 30, 2017, 05:47:56 PM

The contract to build the interchange was executed before FHWA rescinded it's approval for the font on the signs.  To change back to highway gothic, TxDot would have needed to execute a change order within the contract, which may have incurred a financial penalty.

That's what I thought.

And having thought about it, all the rounded edges do make it look weird. And yeah, the design is definitely a bit bland. Considering the other new interchanges being built in TX, I'm really surprised at how bland this one looks.

Bobby5280

The rounded edges and soft light gray color on the piers make them "feel" like they might be made out of spongy rubber -like a car would bounce off one if colliding with it. The "Fischer-Price" toy analogy is pretty good.

Brian556

Construction on the SH 114/ FM 156 interchange is well underway. The design is totally different than what was originally planned. Back in 2007, the plans called for a cloverleaf, but they went with a somewhat unique interchange with frontage road intersection bypasses

FM 156 is also under construction from NW High School up to the north end of Justin. A store in Justin has been torn down for the project.

Also, the old BNSF main from Lambert JCT down to SH 114 has been double tracked, and a really unusual safety feature has been put in place to prevent trains from running off the end of the track where they torn down the old trestle over SH 114.

Also, I noticed on Google that a new track was installed north of Lambert JCT up to Justin. It is on the east side of the original track, and is far enough a way that two separate sets of crossing signals were needed at Harmonson Rd

Bobby5280

Is TX DOT going to add in the freeway main lanes along TX-114 between I-35W and the big NISD school complex? When the TX-114 widening project took place between US-287 and I-35W not enough right of way was secured to eventually widen the road into a freeway or toll road with frontage roads. I don't know why they didn't build in a wide median for future freeway or toll road lanes like portions of TX-114 east of I-35W. It's still physically possible to do an eventual freeway upgrade with minimal property removal. But that situation will not stay that way for long.

Brian556

Quote from Bobby5280:
QuoteIs TX DOT going to add in the freeway main lanes along TX-114 between I-35W and the big NISD school complex? When the TX-114 widening project took place between US-287 and I-35W not enough right of way was secured to eventually widen the road into a freeway or toll road with frontage roads. I don't know why they didn't build in a wide median for future freeway or toll road lanes like portions of TX-114 east of I-35W. It's still physically possible to do an eventual freeway upgrade with minimal property removal. But that situation will not stay that way for long.

There are no plans to make SH 114 a freeway west of the high school to US 81/287. Last time I checked the plans only called for expressway conditions with at grade crossings in front of the speedway. That was 2007, so plans could have changed.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.