News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

AHTD about Exit 86 on I-540 in NWA... Nothing.

Started by M86, September 04, 2013, 01:24:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

M86

I emailed AHTD about Exit 86 on I-540.

My email is this:

I have contacted both AHTD and the city of Bentonville, and I'm trying to figure out what is going to happen at Exit 86 (14th St/ Hudson Rd) on I-540.  The city of Bentonville told me that basically nothing will change, but the 8th Street interchange will happen. 
The 8th Street interchange will help traffic from the west, but what about the severe congestion on 14th/Hudson coming from the east?  I've spent over 30 minutes trying to move a less than a mile on that road at rush hour, daily. 
I conversed with M.C. (with the city of Bentonville), and he said there are no plans for 14th/Hudson/US 62 east of Exit 86 on I-540 with AHTD.
What will it take to get Exit 86 improved?  The previous studies recommended a SPUI, with a widened US 62/AR 102... Why isn't this being done?  What will it take to get US 62/14th/Hudson widened?
I've lived in areas with SPUI's, and they function like clockwork, beautifully...

bugo

I'm glad I chose to move to Tulsa rather than NWA.  I drove through Springdale on US 412 one day during rush hour and it was hell.  Far worse than any Tulsa traffic that I've been in.

M86

Quote from: bugo on September 04, 2013, 02:09:34 AM
I'm glad I chose to move to Tulsa rather than NWA.  I drove through Springdale on US 412 one day during rush hour and it was hell.  Far worse than any Tulsa traffic that I've been in.
412 in NWA is ridiculous... The Springdale Bypass is really needed....  and apparently Siloam Springs is just stupid.   AHTD asked Siloam Springs for their opinion of a bypass or improve 412 through town... And Siloam wanted a widening through town, but no bypass.  Why AHTD let that happen, I don't know.
So, now 412 is 3 lanes in each direction with a raised median through Siloam Springs, and I saw a news story about how businesses in Siloam are mad because of the median because business has decreased.

After reading everything with that, I just can't believe it.  US 412 is a major route from Tulsa to Harrison, AR (and beyond). 

I understand wanting local opinions, but a Siloam bypass should have been built.  Another fail on AHTD's books.

M86

After conversing with AHTD and the City of Bentonville, I guess the east leg of US 62 at Exit 86 on 540 is just nothing.  Apparently, the city of Bentonville thinks that the 8th Street interchange will fix the congestion all around.  Fail.

bugo

I am disappointed that the Siloam Springs bypass wasn't built.  The 6 lane divided street that they built in its place is no substitute.

M86

Quote from: bugo on September 07, 2013, 02:49:04 PM
I am disappointed that the Siloam Springs bypass wasn't built.  The 6 lane divided street that they built in its place is no substitute.
It really is ridiculous...

rte66man

Quote from: M86 on September 08, 2013, 02:24:59 AM

Only ridiculous if you are passing through.  The city and its merchants are (generally) loving it as they have a captive audience.  Why would they ask AHTD for a bypass?

rte66man
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

US71

Quote from: rte66man on September 09, 2013, 09:53:06 AM

Only ridiculous if you are passing through.  The city and its merchants are (generally) loving it as they have a captive audience.  Why would they ask AHTD for a bypass?

rte66man

Whatever happened to the Chickendale Springdale Bypass? Ideally, it could start in Oklahoma before ending near Sonora.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

bugo

rte66man

Highways are built for motorists, not businesses.  There would be a Mena bypass if not for the local businesses whining.

bugo

Quote from: US71 on September 09, 2013, 04:37:52 PM
Whatever happened to the Chickendale Springdale Bypass? Ideally, it could start in Oklahoma before ending near Sonora.

What's wrong with the 412 expressway between eastern Siloam Springs and western Tontitown?

US71

Quote from: bugo on September 10, 2013, 02:58:39 PM

What's wrong with the 412 expressway between eastern Siloam Springs and western Tontitown?

At one time, I thought the bypass proposal was from near Westville to Sonora. If AHTD is going to bypass Springdale at all, they better get busy before the corridor gets over developed.

Oh, and going back to I-540: construction has started on Exit 70 (Don Tyson Parkway). Mostly dirt work right now, but reduced lane width from Johnson Mill Rd to US 412.

M86

rte66man

rte66man, you need to google the Springdale Bypass.  US 412 is a main highway... In fact, on AARoads, it is listed as a high priority corridor.
It was nice of AHTD to get opinions from the Siloam Springs community, but a bypass should have happened.  From the west, 412 transitions from fully controlled roadway (Cherokee Turnpike) to rural expressway, and then to urban (now 6 lanes with raised median) in Siloam Springs, and to the east into Springdale (known as Sunset Ave aka Hell).
Sorry, AHTD and Siloam Springs failed.  Especially considering the 412 Bypass in the works.

M86

I received an email back from AHTD, and a PDF of what will happen at Exit 86.  The engineering firm that designed this needs to work on their documents.  But, it looks ok.  I'd prefer a SPUI, as was recommended in a past study, but that was before the 8th Street interchange idea.  I still think a SPUI would be appropriate at Exit 86, even with the braided interchange with 8th Street.

M86

At one time, I thought the bypass proposal was from near Westville to Sonora. If AHTD is going to bypass Springdale at all, they better get busy before the corridor gets over developed.
They've already secured most of the right of way, if I remember correctly... and I think you may be mistaken about Westville.  Westville is way south of US 412.  I'm trying to locate the info online, but it's so hard to find.  I don't get why AHTD can't post this info on their website.  I remember reading about funding in the STIP though.

The bypass will go from west of Tontitown to over by Senora.   http://www.arkansashighways.com/environmental/environmental_studies/001966/Maps/001966_2008.05.25_DPH_Disp_Cou.pdf

I believe they want to build a spur to the airport too.  I'll try and find more info.

US71

Quote from: M86 on September 16, 2013, 04:24:27 AM

They've already secured most of the right of way, if I remember correctly... and I think you may be mistaken about Westville.  Westville is way south of US 412.

The hazards of typing while half-asleep. :(

I meant West Slimemold Siloam Springs. I thought one proposal had the bypass forking off the divided segment of 412 west of town?

bugo

It is to head north at the location of the old 68 intersection.  It will basically begin and end at the beginnings of the divided sections on each side of Springdale.

rte66man

Quote from: M86 on September 14, 2013, 12:20:12 AM

rte66man

rte66man, you need to google the Springdale Bypass.  US 412 is a main highway... In fact, on AARoads, it is listed as a high priority corridor.
It was nice of AHTD to get opinions from the Siloam Springs community, but a bypass should have happened.  From the west, 412 transitions from fully controlled roadway (Cherokee Turnpike) to rural expressway, and then to urban (now 6 lanes with raised median) in Siloam Springs, and to the east into Springdale (known as Sunset Ave aka Hell).
Sorry, AHTD and Siloam Springs failed.  Especially considering the 412 Bypass in the works.
Don't need to Google anything. I've made that drive enough times to do it in my sleep. What does the Springdale bypass have to do with a proposed Siloam Springs bypass?  My original comment still stands.  AHTD asked and the city responded.  Why should AHTD have expected anything different from the city? Personally, I HATE driving through Siloam Springs and would love to see a bypass.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

US71

Quote from: rte66man on September 17, 2013, 07:33:08 PM

Don't need to Google anything. I've made that drive enough times to do it in my sleep. What does the Springdale bypass have to do with a proposed Siloam Springs bypass?  My original comment still stands.  AHTD asked and the city responded.  Why should AHTD have expected anything different from the city? Personally, I HATE driving through Siloam Springs and would love to see a bypass.

At one time, I thought there was a proposal to bypass Siloam Springs AND Springdale, but that may have been before 412 was upgraded East of Siloam Springs.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.