News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

A question about loops in Texas

Started by mcdonaat, May 26, 2014, 10:09:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcdonaat

Driving west along US 190, I noticed that, in Newton, you had "Loop 505." However, it wasn't a loop, since SH 87 does the looping, and it basically is a different name for "Business SH 87."

Maybe someone from that area could help me figure out why it's called Loop 505 instead of Business 87 or just SH 505.

Brian556

This is a somewhat common practice in Texas to give the old alignment of a highway through a town a loop designation instead of a business [parent highway] designation. Some are even given FM designations.

Prior to 1991, all Business Routes had a hidden loop or spur designation. In 1991, they eliminated these hidden designations. There also were and still are some, like the one mentioned, that are actually signed as a loop, and that is their only designation.

mcdonaat

That's weird, because we never sign our loops as loops, just bypasses, but I actually took Loop 505 today (GPS-free trip) and ended up going through a residential part of Newton... only to give up and turn around, and take 190 out of town.

Is it just a SW Texas thing to have EVERY CR signed on the main road? Also, what's up with vague destinations? Post office? To Co Rd XXXX? I even thought I saw a sign pointed to a school that closed a few years ago.

Brian556

QuoteIs it just a SW Texas thing to have EVERY CR signed on the main road? Also, what's up with vague destinations? Post office? To Co Rd XXXX? I even thought I saw a sign pointed to a school that closed a few years ago.

Depends on what area you are in. They do this in Wise County, but not Denton County.

US71

Quote from: Brian556 on May 26, 2014, 11:57:32 PM
This is a somewhat common practice in Texas to give the old alignment of a highway through a town a loop designation instead of a business [parent highway] designation. Some are even given FM designations.

Prior to 1991, all Business Routes had a hidden loop or spur designation. In 1991, they eliminated these hidden designations. There also were and still are some, like the one mentioned, that are actually signed as a loop, and that is their only designation.

Loop 157 in Tenaha appears to be Old US 59 and old US 96.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

US81

Quote from: mcdonaat on May 27, 2014, 12:01:39 AM

Is it just a SW Texas thing to have EVERY CR signed on the main road? Also, what's up with vague destinations? Post office? To Co Rd XXXX? I even thought I saw a sign pointed to a school that closed a few years ago.

I definitely see it in mostly rural counties and not so much in the more urban areas.

US71

Quote from: mcdonaat on May 27, 2014, 12:01:39 AM

I saw in Bowie, Cass, Van Zandt, and numerous other counties. Longview even has signs pointing the way to various politician offices (like Louie Gohmert).
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.