Mn Dot renaming Highway 110 to Highway 62

Started by Zaphod, October 23, 2017, 02:46:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zaphod

It's about time renaming 110 to 62, making it one continuous route:

http://www.startribune.com/hwy-110-in-mendota-heights-will-be-renamed-to-hwy-62-next-summer/452538123/

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Zaphod on October 23, 2017, 02:46:05 PM

http://www.startribune.com/hwy-110-in-mendota-heights-will-be-renamed-to-hwy-62-next-summer/452538123/

Wow. I didn't see that coming. I also question whether it's necessary. Are that many people going straight through from the west metro to I-494 on the east side along 62/55/110? When I was growing up in Edina we never took 62/55/110 to get to the east metro.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Lanturnlord

Does anyone know of any other reason for this change other than reducing confusion?

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

TheHighwayMan3561

One of the city mayors involved (who sounds like he is not thrilled with the change) stated one reason was to advertise 62 as a "bypass"  of 494, though anyone who's familiar with the traffic on both routes knows it won't help. :spin:

110 as currently built also isn't a full freeway anyway.

TheHighwayMan3561

I know someone will bring up that MnDOT missed the chance to get rid of the duplicate MN 62, which the reason 62 was picked to be extended according to the DOT was because of 110's number coming from its history as a fragment from the old MN 100 beltway.

Lanturnlord

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on October 24, 2017, 12:39:36 AM
110 as currently built also isn't a full freeway anyway.
I don't think mndot has any desire to upgrade it either

jakeroot

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on October 23, 2017, 07:53:25 PM

Wow. I didn't see that coming. I also question whether it's necessary. Are that many people going straight through from the west metro to I-494 on the east side along 62/55/110? When I was growing up in Edina we never took 62/55/110 to get to the east metro.

I suppose opinion varies on the topic, but it makes more sense to me to number a long stretch of uninterrupted pavement the same number, than have the number change over and over again (presumably to follow the important route of cars instead). I think if you "turn off" a roadway, that road should not feature the same number as the road you are on. There are many obvious exceptions to this rule, but in the case 62/55/110, I don't see why the number has to change three times on what is basically one straight uninterrupted section of road.

MNHighwayMan

Well that's way out of left field. Never had expected MnDOT to actually do something about this. I have thought that they should be the same route, given their very close termini, but I would NOT have gone with 62, for obvious reasons. :banghead:

DandyDan

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on October 23, 2017, 07:53:25 PM

When I was a kid in Cottage Grove, I remember 110/55/62 as part of the route to my uncle's old apartment in Plymouth. But that was before 494 was built east of the airport, and before it was MN 62.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

hotdogPi

Reducing confusion seems to be a valid rationale for changing a number. Why would there have to be another reason?
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

froggie

Is there an article or news release or a source for this?

froggie

Someone in the comments claims to be the one who emailed MnDOT suggesting the change.  Several other article comments, and to a degree Jake's comment here, miss that A) these were really built as two separate roads, and B) this requires a concurrency with MN 55, which was the original highway through that corridor all along.

That said, giving both routes the same number makes sense, though I'd have preferred to see a US 212 extension.

froggie

Saw that after I posted here (had read this thread first).  Also have to ask the mods if it would make sense to merge this thread with the same conversation going on in the Minnesota Notes thread.  Or pull those comments into this thread.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: froggie on October 24, 2017, 08:09:26 AM
Someone in the comments claims to be the one who emailed MnDOT suggesting the change. ... That said, giving both routes the same number makes sense, though I'd have preferred to see a US 212 extension.

Maybe if enough of us email MnDOT we can make that change happen. :bigass:

Bickendan

US 212>MN 110>MN 62, if I had to rank the possible numbers.

Scott5114

Quote from: froggie on October 24, 2017, 08:11:16 AM
Saw that after I posted here (had read this thread first).  Also have to ask the mods if it would make sense to merge this thread with the same conversation going on in the Minnesota Notes thread.  Or pull those comments into this thread.

Done.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Henry

Seems to me that hell has finally frozen over, because a seemingly fictional idea has been implemented.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

TheHighwayMan3561

I think 62 was the best choice. 212 has now ended at 62/169 for 35 years and 62 has for better or worse become an integral part of the local fabric since then. 

froggie

MNHighwayMan

Just because something's been done one way for a long period doesn't mean it should always stay that way.

Lanturnlord

bschultzy

Quote from: Lanturnlord on October 25, 2017, 06:21:52 PM
I wonder if Mndot will update their 494/62 study page to reflect this change...
http://www.dot.state.mn.us/metro/projects/i494and62study/

Why? I don't think the study area is changing, and the change won't be signed until next year.

Chris

Quote from: froggie on October 24, 2017, 07:54:13 AM

MnDOT has provided a page about the renumbering: http://www.dot.state.mn.us/metro/projects/hwy110renamingtohwy62/

Evidently this renumbering is a pain for people living or having a business on Highway 110, which is not a freeway.

If your home or business is currently addressed Hwy 110 (i.e. 123 Hwy 110), yes you will have to change your address.

The city you reside in will notify you when to begin using your new address and it is recommended that you wait until that time before you change anything. You will want to notify your power company and utility providers, insurance company, Driver and Vehicle Services, your cell phone carrier, your cable carrier, your bank(s), voter registration, schools attended by anyone in your household, newspapers and/or magazines and other subscriber services.

skluth

Quote from: Chris on October 28, 2017, 05:02:10 PM
Quote from: froggie on October 24, 2017, 07:54:13 AM

MnDOT has provided a page about the renumbering: http://www.dot.state.mn.us/metro/projects/hwy110renamingtohwy62/

Evidently this renumbering is a pain for people living or having a business on Highway 110, which is not a freeway.

If your home or business is currently addressed Hwy 110 (i.e. 123 Hwy 110), yes you will have to change your address.

The city you reside in will notify you when to begin using your new address and it is recommended that you wait until that time before you change anything. You will want to notify your power company and utility providers, insurance company, Driver and Vehicle Services, your cell phone carrier, your cable carrier, your bank(s), voter registration, schools attended by anyone in your household, newspapers and/or magazines and other subscriber services.

While I was growing up in Green Bay, Willow Street became University Avenue and Highland became Lombardi Avenue. Part of Main Street was moved onto Cedar Street and the old section became Bodart Way. All within ten years and all were major business thoroughfares. People griped for a couple years but went on with their lives. 40-50 years later, it's no big deal and merely an historic interest item.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.