News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Wisconsin notes

Started by mgk920, May 30, 2012, 02:33:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thspfc

Quote from: chrismarion100 on September 21, 2021, 10:33:39 PM
Wisconsin's second oldest highway tunnel will switch to LED lighting but not before bring closed for two weeks. (last state owned lightning in the NW region to switch to LED lighting)
https://wqow.com/2021/09/21/us-53-exit-tunnel-to-wis-93-will-close-for-lightning-maintenance/
What's the oldest? Kilbourn Avenue ramp?

skluth

Quote from: I-39 on September 21, 2021, 02:08:06 PM
Quote from: peterj920 on September 18, 2021, 02:04:29 PM
Here's your answer. Wis 29 will be freeway from the Shawano Co line to I-41 when the project is finished.

https://projects.511wi.gov/29vv/wp-content/uploads/sites/682/cthumap.pdf

They ought to just finish the freeway conversion between there and Shawano. Wouldn't be too difficult to do.

There are several small farms on WI 29 between the Shawano/Bonduel bypass and WI 32. It may happen some day, but building access for all those properties is a fair amount of money for a project not currently needed. The expressway works fine for now. There are far more important needs in NE WI, like completing the US 10 expressway in Point to eliminate the stoplights east of I-39.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: thspfc on September 22, 2021, 08:02:27 AM
Wisconsin's second oldest highway tunnel will switch to LED lighting but not before bring closed for two weeks. (last state owned lightning in the NW region to switch to LED lighting)
https://wqow.com/2021/09/21/us-53-exit-tunnel-to-wis-93-will-close-for-lightning-maintenance/

Kilbourn Avenue ramps are 60's originals.  The tunnel on Howell Ave (WI 38) under the E-W runway at MKE dates to the 70's if my memory is correct.  Then comes the tunnel ramp at US 53/WI 93 (2005).
Since then, we've got College Avenue under the southern tip of the N-S runway at MKE and two of the ramps at the Mitchell Interchange.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

skluth

Quote from: triplemultiplex on September 22, 2021, 03:06:52 PM
Quote from: thspfc on September 22, 2021, 08:02:27 AM

Kilbourn Avenue ramps are 60's originals.  The tunnel on Howell Ave (WI 38) under the E-W runway at MKE dates to the 70's if my memory is correct.  Then comes the tunnel ramp at US 53/WI 93 (2005).
Since then, we've got College Avenue under the southern tip of the N-S runway at MKE and two of the ramps at the Mitchell Interchange.

The Howell Avenue runway tunnel dates back to about 1964.
3. Replacement of the Existing Tunnel with a New Tunnel — With major rehabilitation of the existing tunnel, we recommend that consideration be given to constructing a new tunnel to replace the existing tunnel in 20 years (2040). The existing tunnel will be 76 years old at that time, which is at the end of its expected 75-year service life. Found in the executive summary of the Howell Tunnel Management Plan, PROJECT NO. 5041-16018

peterj920

Quote from: skluth on September 22, 2021, 12:49:09 PM
Here's your answer. Wis 29 will be freeway from the Shawano Co line to I-41 when the project is finished.

They ought to just finish the freeway conversion between there and Shawano. Wouldn't be too difficult to do.

There are several small farms on WI 29 between the Shawano/Bonduel bypass and WI 32. It may happen some day, but building access for all those properties is a fair amount of money for a project not currently needed. The expressway works fine for now. There are far more important needs in NE WI, like completing the US 10 expressway in Point to eliminate the stoplights east of I-39.

WISDOT abandoned building a new US 10 Stevens Point Bypass east of I-39 so the lights are there to stay. Here's a link to the story stating that the project is dead.

https://stevenspoint.news/2016/09/01/wisdot-dropping-plans-to-complete-highway-10-bypass-project/

I-39

Quote from: peterj920 on September 24, 2021, 01:42:49 AM

WISDOT abandoned building a new US 10 Stevens Point Bypass east of I-39 so the lights are there to stay. Here's a link to the story stating that the project is dead.

https://stevenspoint.news/2016/09/01/wisdot-dropping-plans-to-complete-highway-10-bypass-project/

Probably should have pursued this instead of the wasteful Marshfield spur.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: I-39 on September 25, 2021, 06:27:24 PM

I think the Marshfield spur is a lot more useful than a section of roadway that saves maybe two minutes for through traffic.

I-39

Quote from: SEWIGuy on September 25, 2021, 09:30:00 PM
Quote from: I-39 on September 25, 2021, 06:27:24 PM

I think the Marshfield spur is a lot more useful than a section of roadway that saves maybe two minutes for through traffic.

The Marshfield spur is a poster child for Wisconsin's wasteful highway spending. The US 10 bypass would at least get more use.

triplemultiplex

Well that's what happens when you get a state legislator or two with a big trucking company constantly in their ear.
US 10 should be named the "Roehl Expressway" west of Point for this reason.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

dvferyance

Quote from: Caps81943 on September 21, 2021, 12:43:39 AM
I've been looking into and exploring Wisconsin a lot lately, and I've noticed something with the county trunk road system. There is a SERIOUS lack of County Road L's. As in, there's only a handful in the entire state.

Can anyone explain this mysterious lack of L's?
I also beleive that the only LL that exist in the whole state is the one in Ozaukee County. I beleive just about every other double letter of the same is used quite frequently.

US 12 fan

There is a County L in Kenosha County and in Walworth County.

peterj920

Quote from: dvferyance on October 07, 2021, 07:20:05 PM
I've been looking into and exploring Wisconsin a lot lately, and I've noticed something with the county trunk road system. There is a SERIOUS lack of County Road L's. As in, there's only a handful in the entire state.

I also beleive that the only LL that exist in the whole state is the one in Ozaukee County. I beleive just about every other double letter of the same is used quite frequently.

County L and County R were not used initially because for advanced warning signs in the past there was the letter L for left and letter R for right. When advanced turn arrow signs replaced the letters, then County L and County R were used. Notice that the ones designated are newer. For example County L in Oneida Co is Old US 51 and County R in Brown/Manitowoc Co is old US 141 when I-43 opened.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: peterj920 on October 08, 2021, 11:56:34 PM
Quote from: dvferyance on October 07, 2021, 07:20:05 PM

County L and County R were not used initially because for advanced warning signs in the past there was the letter L for left and letter R for right. When advanced turn arrow signs replaced the letters, then County L and County R were used. Notice that the ones designated are newer. For example County L in Oneida Co is Old US 51 and County R in Brown/Manitowoc Co is old US 141 when I-43 opened.

Yeah back up the topic I stated this, but thanks for the additional info.

Quote from: SEWIGuy on September 21, 2021, 08:57:41 AM

My guess....  Back when these highways were laid out, US and State highways had small "L" and "R" signs to indicate direction instead of arrows.  Counties stayed away from these two letters to avoid confusion because I don't think there are many CTH-R's either.

dvferyance

Quote from: US 12 fan on October 08, 2021, 07:34:30 PM
There is a County L in Kenosha County and in Walworth County.
Eau Claire, Washburn, Lincoln/Oneida, Dodge and Marinette I beleive are the only other ones left. Did I miss any?

I-39

Have they officially restarted the I-39/90/94 study between Madison and the Dells? The section on the WisDOT website regarding it is  outdated.

The Ghostbuster

Yes, the 39/90/94 study has been restarted. See page 28 on this document: https://wisconsindot.gov/Documents/projects/6yr-hwy-impr/maj-hwy/status.pdf. I think it was stupid to cancel the study back in 2017. I expect the corridor to be widened from 6 to 8 lanes between Madison and Portage, and widened from 4 to 6 lanes from Portage to Wisconsin Dells, with various interchange improvements throughout the entire corridor. Two projects planned to occur along the corridor in the near future are the replacement of the Wisconsin River Bridge (https://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/projects/by-region/sw/i399094-bridge/default.aspx), and the reconfiguration of the interchange with STH-60 (https://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/projects/by-region/sw/i399094-wis60/default.aspx).

thspfc

Interesting that they're basically making lateral changes from a parclo-looking thing to a diamond. Seems like they have better things to work on than the WI-60 interchange, but I don't care for the loop ramps so I'm not complaining.

cwm1276

Quote from: thspfc on October 30, 2021, 09:17:51 AM
Interesting that they're basically making lateral changes from a parclo-looking thing to a diamond. Seems like they have better things to work on than the WI-60 interchange, but I don't care for the loop ramps so I'm not complaining.
Would there still be space for the loop ramps with additional lanes?  They almost need to move the centerline of the interstate west to avoid the transmission lines, which would make that loop in the southwest even tighter.

I-39

Quote from: cwm1276 on October 30, 2021, 11:28:37 AM
Quote from: thspfc on October 30, 2021, 09:17:51 AM
Would there still be space for the loop ramps with additional lanes?  They almost need to move the centerline of the interstate west to avoid the transmission lines, which would make that loop in the southwest even tighter.

Probably not. Those loop ramps are tight as it is, a diamond interchange is better, and will better accommodate future widening to the corridor. I presume the bridge over Hwy 60 will be rebuilt to accommodate a future fourth lane.

When are they going to update the website with new information about the I-39/90/94 study? It still says it is being cancelled. Also, are they going to lump the Madison to Portage and the Portage to Wisconsin Dells segments together this time? Last time, there were separate studies for both of them.

JREwing78

Silly question - is there any significant stretch of 6-lane or wider freeway in Wisconsin with a truck travel lane restriction? In other states, trucks are restricted from the leftmost lane (or on a 8-lane or wider stretch, from the left 2 lanes), to reduce left-lane hogging. There is general "Slower Traffic Keep Right" signage, but nothing specific to trucks.

Just curious - the lack of lane discipline from trucks on I-39/90 since the 6-laning can be awfully road-rage inducing.

midwesternroadguy

Quote from: JREwing78 on November 03, 2021, 07:32:52 PM
Silly question - is there any significant stretch of 6-lane or wider freeway in Wisconsin with a truck travel lane restriction? In other states, trucks are restricted from the leftmost lane (or on a 8-lane or wider stretch, from the left 2 lanes), to reduce left-lane hogging. There is general "Slower Traffic Keep Right" signage, but nothing specific to trucks.

Just curious - the lack of lane discipline from trucks on I-39/90 since the 6-laning can be awfully road-rage inducing.

The only thing that came close, that I can think of, was the 45 mph minimum speed limit in the left two lanes, and no minimum speed far right lane going up the Brookfield Hill on westbound I-94 east of Moorland Road in Brookfield.  However, those overhead speed signs were removed some time ago. 

SSOWorld

There are no restrictions outside of any work zone where they put signs up.  Hence trucks can engage in a 3+ way Elephant race if they choose to and they will make you mad.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

thspfc

Quote from: SSOWorld on November 03, 2021, 07:53:52 PM

There are no restrictions outside of any work zone where they put signs up.  Hence trucks can engage in a 3+ way Elephant race if they choose to and they will make you mad.
I've seen that a few times on the Triplex.

skluth

Quote from: thspfc on November 03, 2021, 08:10:28 PM

I believe that's called a clustertruck.  :bigass:

thspfc

Quote from: skluth on November 04, 2021, 07:56:10 PM
Quote from: thspfc on November 03, 2021, 08:10:28 PM

I believe that's called a clustertruck.  :bigass:
Sitting behind three shoulder-to-shoulder semis, going <25 MPH in traffic, rolling past the 1-mile sign for the WI-60 exit and knowing that it will be several minutes before you actually reach the exit ramp.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.