News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Rhode Island News

Started by southshore720, April 21, 2015, 05:05:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

southshore720

RI 146 is in dire need of overhaul.  I look forward to proper exit numbers and better signage.  They also need to replace the light towers in Providence and Lincoln...they're either entirely missing or broken.  Also, I don't believe that they've corrected the mile markers going Southbound that go in ascending order, not descending.  They did FINALLY correct the sign assembly at RI 116 North/RI 246 South that incorrectly indicated the separate routes as a dual route.  This off-ramp has never had proper signage and I'm glad the sign update will finally correct that.  I wonder if the contractor will issue a "preview" of what the signs will look like...

bob7374

Quote from: southshore720 on November 14, 2016, 12:00:21 PM
RI 146 is in dire need of overhaul.  I look forward to proper exit numbers and better signage.  They also need to replace the light towers in Providence and Lincoln...they're either entirely missing or broken.  Also, I don't believe that they've corrected the mile markers going Southbound that go in ascending order, not descending.  They did FINALLY correct the sign assembly at RI 116 North/RI 246 South that incorrectly indicated the separate routes as a dual route.  This off-ramp has never had proper signage and I'm glad the sign update will finally correct that.  I wonder if the contractor will issue a "preview" of what the signs will look like...
RIDOT has this site where it posts draft contract plans, something to keep checking over the next few months:
http://www.dot.ri.gov/business/draftplans.php

Beeper1

Knowing RI, they'll number the NB exits staring at I-95 and increasing heading north, and number the SB exits starting at the MA line and increasing heading south.   'cuz that's how they roll.

Alps

Quote from: Beeper1 on November 14, 2016, 05:54:43 PM
Knowing RI, they'll number the NB exits staring at I-95 and increasing heading north, and number the SB exits starting at the MA line and increasing heading south.   'cuz that's how they roll.
Or start at Exit 3... (Westerly)

southshore720

Some new signage on I-95 South as part of the Viaduct Reconstruction.  They're really going APL crazy on the Exit 22 off ramp.  22A-B-C has it's first large APL display, followed behind by APL for 22A-B after C splits off.  New signage for Exit 21 (Atwells Ave) as well.  Due to the split lane confusion from the earlier move to the new span, some of the approach BGS' on the I-95 mainline have temporary orange shield/direction patch jobs.

The biggest "THANK YOU!!" was the removal of the ancient, decrepit BGS that was orphaned on the Admiral St. bridge on Rte 146 South.  The mileage corresponded to Exits 21 and 20 before the 1988 6/10 Connector project.  The I-195 shield had been missing for about 25 years on the sign and never replaced.  It was horrible to look at and I'm so happy it's history!

Alps

Quote from: southshore720 on November 28, 2016, 09:54:50 PM
The biggest "THANK YOU!!" was the removal of the ancient, decrepit BGS that was orphaned on the Admiral St. bridge on Rte 146 South.  The mileage corresponded to Exits 21 and 20 before the 1988 6/10 Connector project.  The I-195 shield had been missing for about 25 years on the sign and never replaced.  It was horrible to look at and I'm so happy it's history!
This?

southshore720

Quote from: Alps on November 28, 2016, 10:58:08 PM
This?

Yes!  I just recoiled in horror looking at it again.  :-o

KEVIN_224

http://www.centralctcommunications.com/newbritainherald/article_b9a6faec-c267-11e6-960c-7f04163ef346.html

Basically about a construction company in central Connecticut and their involvement with a big I-95 project in downtown Providence. I don't see where the writer is getting a distance of 110 miles from Plainville. CT though!

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on December 15, 2016, 08:50:05 PM
http://www.centralctcommunications.com/newbritainherald/article_b9a6faec-c267-11e6-960c-7f04163ef346.html

Basically about a construction company in central Connecticut and their involvement with a big I-95 project in downtown Providence. I don't see where the writer is getting a distance of 110 miles from Plainville. CT though!

Has to be by taking the shoreline route (CT 9 to I-95 North)
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

KEVIN_224

Start with CT Route 72 East from Plainville to it's junction (end) at CT Route 9. I know that on CT Route 9, Exit 25 for Ellis Street in New Britain is very close to MM 35. (Maybe about 4 miles + 35 = 39?)  :hmmm:

Roughly 33 miles from Exit 69 in Old Saybrook to the RI border on I-95 (72 miles...).

Then add about 37.5 miles from the RI border to the Providence Place Mall area...110 miles at the absolute most.

OK...so they might be right after all!  :-|

(_8(I) - D'oh! 

jon daly

Quote from: shadyjay on September 01, 2016, 06:23:00 PM
Quote from: Beeper1 on September 01, 2016, 05:24:21 PM
Sounds like they just re-opened the parking lots and not the actual rest area/welcome center facilities. 

From what I gather from the articles I've seen, they're still working on the building and plan to reopen it, at least for restrooms.  Temporary restrooms will be available in the parking lot until the building is reopened. 

Quote from: Beeper1 on September 01, 2016, 05:24:21 PM
What is this other $9 mil Welcome Center/Transit Hub project they refer to? Will it also be on I-95?

An off-highway facility at Exit 1.  If its off-highway, they can incorporate commercial entities (ie - food service). 

Do you mean Exit 2? Something is being built there.

abqtraveler

Any update on Rhode Island going to mile-based exit numbers.  My understanding is RIDOT was  supposed to start with unnumbered freeways either last year or this year and complete the conversion in four phases by 2019.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

shadyjay

Looks like there won't be a Travel Plaza/Welcome Center built off Exit 1 in Hopkinton.  They're gonna use the $3 mil already set aside for improvements to the existing (reopened last year) rest area in Richmond (between Exits 2 & 3). 

http://www.thewesterlysun.com/news/richmondhopkinton/10122588-154/state-kills-welcome-center-and-transit-hub-plan-some-money.html#gallery-1

southshore720

There are already decent food/gas options at Exit 93 in Clarks Falls and Exits 3A/3B in Richmond.  I frequently use Exits 3A/3B as my rest stop when I drive from MA to CT.  I think any rest area installed above and beyond that would've been overkill.  I'm glad they reopened the Richmond Rest Stop.  That will be good for the truckers.

Speaking of rest stops, whatever happened to the idea of building a companion rest area on SB I-295 in Lincoln across from the NB service area?

southshore720

Quote from: abqtraveler on February 04, 2017, 12:03:23 PM
Any update on Rhode Island going to mile-based exit numbers.  My understanding is RIDOT was  supposed to start with unnumbered freeways either last year or this year and complete the conversion in four phases by 2019.
Radio silence on that issue.  I've heard nothing.

Beeper1

Quote from: southshore720 on April 04, 2017, 01:17:03 AM
There are already decent food/gas options at Exit 93 in Clarks Falls and Exits 3A/3B in Richmond.  I frequently use Exits 3A/3B as my rest stop when I drive from MA to CT.  I think any rest area installed above and beyond that would've been overkill.  I'm glad they reopened the Richmond Rest Stop.  That will be good for the truckers.

Speaking of rest stops, whatever happened to the idea of building a companion rest area on SB I-295 in Lincoln across from the NB service area?

Plus there's a full service truck stop at Exit 5 in Exeter. 

The plans for the new SB Rest Area on I-295 in Lincoln were shelved many years ago.  Use of the new NB area did not meet expected levels and it hardly gets used except as a pull-off for trucks and for people parking to use the Blackstone River bike path.  The food service in the new area closed only a year or so after the area opened due to lack of business (how a Dunkin Donuts couldn't stay open in RI is mind boggling. Best guess is the lack of a drive-thru window.) and the inside is now just restrooms and a sometimes-staffed information desk.  It's a shame, since the inside of the building is really nice, but it just never turned into a draw either as a visitor center or service area, and the food service half of the building is just closed off and dark.  This winter, they barely bothered to plow most of the car parking areas.

So, with the low use of the NB area, the SB project was essentially cancelled. 

IMHO, the SB area should have been rebuilt first, to serve as a welcome center to the state and may have gotten higher usage.  But it's impossible to tell.   Honestly, except as a truck parking spot, there isn't much of a need for rest areas on 295.  Exits are frequent and almost all have plenty of traveler services.     

KEVIN_224

How much more work is there going to be on I-95 by the Providence Place Mall and the exits with US 6/RI 10? While looking out the 8th floor window of the Hilton Hotel towards I-95, I noticed that the southbound bridge is now a bit higher:

As for the lack of traffic? That was taken after I woke up at 7 AM or so on Easter morning.  :-D

southshore720

Quote from: Beeper1 on April 04, 2017, 05:32:08 PM
The food service in the new area closed only a year or so after the area opened due to lack of business (how a Dunkin Donuts couldn't stay open in RI is mind boggling. Best guess is the lack of a drive-thru window.) and the inside is now just restrooms and a sometimes-staffed information desk.  It's a shame, since the inside of the building is really nice, but it just never turned into a draw either as a visitor center or service area, and the food service half of the building is just closed off and dark.
I think you hit the nail square on the head with the drive-thru.  Maybe they thought the food traffic from restroom use would translate over to an impulse buy?  Well, it's not too late to do a re-design of the floor plan and install one.  Maybe a competitor like Honey Dew Donuts would want skin in that game?

Mergingtraffic

I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

PHLBOS

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on April 20, 2017, 02:46:39 PMWhen did RI stop using button copy?
IIRC, sometime during the mid-1970s.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

lowerdeck

It would make sense to change the numbers on 295 once the state finishes the Greenville Ave exit, but I doubt that'll happen.  May end up with an unnumbered exit or a 6D for a year and a half.

Roadgeek Adam

RI 78 should be a lot of fun when that comes about. At least there will no longer be the oddball 3-4-5 from the old era when CT 78 was supposed to hit 95. (Same to 4 as well.)
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

JJBers

Quote from: Roadgeek Adam on July 02, 2017, 06:30:54 PM
RI 78 should be a lot of fun when that comes about. At least there will no longer be the oddball 3-4-5 from the old era when CT 78 was supposed to hit 95. (Same to 4 as well.)
That always confused me until I learned about that...
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,
(2di:I-24, I-76, I-80, I-84, I-95 [ME-GA], I-91)

bob7374

Quote from: lowerdeck on July 02, 2017, 11:24:32 AM
It would make sense to change the numbers on 295 once the state finishes the Greenville Ave exit, but I doubt that'll happen.  May end up with an unnumbered exit or a 6D for a year and a half.
Perusing the RIDOT contract page, there have been no contracts let or advertised so far in 2017 regarding exit signing. This includes the RI 146 project that was mentioned in an earlier post to be going out to bid in early 2017. There is a RI 146 reconstruction project that has been awarded, but perusing the item list revealed no mention of exit signage, just directional, regulatory and warning signs totaling $33,750. Too small an amount for exit signage. The list can be found at:
https://www.pmp.dot.ri.gov/PMP/PMPReporting/Home.mvc/ReportViewer/315882

doogie1303

Quote from: bob7374 on July 03, 2017, 12:38:11 PM
Quote from: lowerdeck on July 02, 2017, 11:24:32 AM
Perusing the RIDOT contract page, there have been no contracts let or advertised so far in 2017 regarding exit signing. This includes the RI 146 project that was mentioned in an earlier post to be going out to bid in early 2017. There is a RI 146 reconstruction project that has been awarded, but perusing the item list revealed no mention of exit signage, just directional, regulatory and warning signs totaling $33,750. Too small an amount for exit signage. The list can be found at:
https://www.pmp.dot.ri.gov/PMP/PMPReporting/Home.mvc/ReportViewer/315882

Wonder how much of that $33,750 goes to making those stupid blue "Rhode Works" signs, which don't really do anything except act as free taxpayer advertising for the governor.

I think that that even though the requirement is to go to mile based exit numbering, repairing the roads and bridges they've neglected and taking heat over is taking precedent.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.