News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Interstate 99 north of Williamsport

Started by Mountain Parkway, October 31, 2019, 08:03:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeftyJR

Quote from: Alps on March 03, 2022, 12:08:39 AM
Quote from: sprjus4 on March 02, 2022, 11:08:05 PM
I had been wondering about that section? Any specific maps / diagrams available?
I've seen it myself, it's been several years but I bet it was posted here back in 2014 give or take.

The website used to be www.susquehannabeltway.com, but its dead.  Jeff Kitsko doesn't have the map either (I asked).

seicer

So many of the dates archived have errors but here is one capture: https://web.archive.org/web/20040326112548/http://www.susquehannabeltway.com/

"In conjunction with the biennial update of the Commonwealth's Twelve Year Transportation Program, PennDOT has reassessed the status of all of its active projects. This reassessment takes into account each project's consistency with statewide priorities, as well as funding availability and project development status.

As a result of this reevaluation, the Secretary of Transportation has directed PennDOT District 3-0 to stop all work on the Susquehanna Beltway project indefinitely. No further design and environmental studies will be completed and no further meetings will be held for the Susquehanna Beltway project. Additionally, the Public Information Office has been closed and the project website will be discontinued in April.

This project, along with 25 others in the state, has been reevaluated due to the large investment of money necessary to bring each to completion. The funding needed for these projects far exceeds the available federal and state transportation financial resources for the foreseeable future.

This action does not mean that the project will not be considered in future updates of PennDOT's Twelve Year Program. If you have any questions in the future, please call Michele Fullmer at (570) 368-4258."

Mr_Northside

Quote from: sprjus4 on March 02, 2022, 11:36:40 PM
The existing US-220 between I-80 and Jersey Shore is a full freeway - mostly 4 lane, 65 mph, though the southern segment closer to I-80 still needs to be twinned.

I admittedly suck at judging this stuff just by looking (either satellite or GSV) - but when they - relatively recently - built the interchange with 2-lane US-220 & Auction Rd, it seems they could have done a better job ($$$ not withstanding) of future-proofing it for widening.   It looks like it will be really tight to get 2 more lanes & shoulders in thru there.   
It's also really close to I-80 when it comes to possible weaving and close interchange proximity.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

LeftyJR

I emailed them about this during design and they said, "That's a future problem" (paraphrasing of course).

astralentity

How on earth in 2022 is it that difficult to block off access to a dirt road off to the side of a limited access highway?  Just do it and be done with it.  I wager it can be done in less than one day.

sprjus4

Quote from: astralentity on April 04, 2022, 05:16:20 PM
How on earth in 2022 is it that difficult to block off access to a dirt road off to the side of a limited access highway?  Just do it and be done with it.  I wager it can be done in less than one day.
I believe that dirt segment connects at least one private driveway, so access has to be re-routed.

astralentity

Quote from: sprjus4 on April 04, 2022, 05:26:26 PM
Quote from: astralentity on April 04, 2022, 05:16:20 PM
I believe that dirt segment connects at least one private driveway, so access has to be re-routed.

Sounds like that should've been taken into consideration before they upgraded US 15 to a freeway.  However, I have heard once upon a time ago in rural Texas that farmers' fields had right of way access off freeways.

The Ghostbuster

How hard would it be to either cul-du-sac 4 Mile Rd. or connect it with Narrow Mountain Rd.? What is the terrain like in that area?

astralentity

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on April 04, 2022, 05:50:19 PM
How hard would it be to either cul-du-sac 4 Mile Rd. or connect it with Narrow Mountain Rd.? What is the terrain like in that area?

Looking at the satellite image, and just from my going through there in recent memory, doesn't look like it would be that hard to cap it off.  There's access on the other end of the road from what I see.

sprjus4

^ Not a hard process, but not an overnight job either.

Bitmapped

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on April 04, 2022, 05:50:19 PM

PennDOT's documentation says they are acquiring ROW for another access for the affected property owner.

This is pretty rough terrain. Trout Run along 4 Mile Road sits in a valley that is 1000 feet deep. If it was easy to have closed access previously, I imagine PennDOT would have done it then.

seicer

Why would a right-in, right-out not suffice here? Just build deceleration and acceleration lanes next to the shoulder. It's no different than what's done with similar ramp designs I've seen elsewhere.

astralentity

Quote from: seicer on April 04, 2022, 09:18:43 PM
Why would a right-in, right-out not suffice here? Just build deceleration and acceleration lanes next to the shoulder. It's no different than what's done with similar ramp designs I've seen elsewhere.

Dirt road maintained by a township?  I don't know how that would be handled in PA.

The Ghostbuster

I don't think a right-in, right-out intersection will suffice, since this portion of US 15 is planned to become part of Interstate 99. I wouldn't be surprised if the US 15 designation is eventually truncated to Interstate 180 in Williamsport.

Alps

I-40 in western NC says hi.

Bitmapped

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on April 04, 2022, 10:54:06 PM
I don't think a right-in, right-out intersection will suffice, since this portion of US 15 is planned to become part of Interstate 99. I wouldn't be surprised if the US 15 designation is eventually truncated to Interstate 180 in Williamsport.

I-70 between Breezewood and Hancock has a series of essentially RIRO ramps, like this one: https://goo.gl/maps/6gtRsaZeDof4nyscA

seicer

cockroachking

IMO, if a RIRO is built with long enough acceleration/deceleration lanes for a sufficient design speed (70mph I guess in this case), then it should be OK for FHWA, but I'm not sure how they would feel about that.

MATraveler128

They will need to fix the RIRO interchanges for the I-99 designation to be applied. In the case of I-70 in Pennsylvania, it was built at a time when Interstate standards were different. The same goes for NY 17.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

jemacedo9

Quote from: Bitmapped on April 04, 2022, 07:51:42 PM
PennDOT's documentation says they are acquiring ROW for another access for the affected property owner.

IIRC...there is a private camp/hunting ground at the end of the 4 Mile Road...and although Google Maps seems to indicate access from the other direction, in reality that doesn't exist or maybe there are issues with it.  So there has been a big dispute between PennDOT and the landowners about what to do with that intersection.  I read an article about it several years ago but couldn't find it via a Google Search. 

vdeane

Quote from: BlueOutback7 on April 05, 2022, 09:54:34 PM
They will need to fix the RIRO interchanges for the I-99 designation to be applied. In the case of I-70 in Pennsylvania, it was built at a time when Interstate standards were different. The same goes for NY 17.
The ones in that area of NY 17 actually received some upgrades about a decade ago in preparation for the I-86 upgrade.  I believe it was mainly longer acceleration/deceleration lanes.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

abqtraveler

Quote from: Alps on April 04, 2022, 11:41:25 PM
I-40 in western NC says hi.
And so does I-25 Exit 106 in Colorado.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.