News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

The Wildfires thread

Started by bing101, September 08, 2022, 10:21:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bing101


Here is more fallout from the wildfires in the Inland Empire.


bing101


Hunty2022

There is currently a ~450 acre wildfire in Madison County, VA.
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

bing101


Here is a Wildfire update in Australia.



bing101


Here is the Wildfire in Oahu.





triplemultiplex

Don't worry, Hawaii.  As soon as my company tries to start up its annual project this winter, it'll start raining buckets.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

bing101


Here is a 60 Minutes segment on the Maui Wildfires.



bing101

https://apnews.com/article/hawaii-wildfire-climate-change-lahaina-7c846f4d8e6a80e5c629d33347dc50e1

She died weeks after fleeing the Maui wildfire. Her family fought to have her listed as a victim.

bing101

https://apnews.com/article/hawaii-legislature-wildfires-housing-lahaina-92784bad1d073377149a88eab00e7904

Wildfire prevention and helping Maui recover from flames top the agenda for Hawaii lawmakers.

bing101


bing101


bing101


bing101


bing101


triplemultiplex

I guess this is the new normal.  Every year, a couple small towns will get torched by wildfires.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

kphoger

Quote from: triplemultiplex on March 01, 2024, 10:13:28 AM
I guess this is the new normal.  Every year, a couple small towns will get torched by wildfires.



... but on the other hand ...

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

bing101

Quote from: triplemultiplex on March 01, 2024, 10:13:28 AM
I guess this is the new normal.  Every year, a couple small towns will get torched by wildfires.
Yes and oddly enough these fires go beyond places where we traditionally think wildfires take place. Yes we usually think of parts of Australia and California getting hit by wildfires but they are hitting places usually not known for wildfires like parts of Canada, parts of Hawaii like what happened in 2023.

Rothman

Quote from: kphoger on March 01, 2024, 10:20:18 AM
Quote from: triplemultiplex on March 01, 2024, 10:13:28 AM
I guess this is the new normal.  Every year, a couple small towns will get torched by wildfires.



... but on the other hand ...


So...fewer yet bigger fires?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

Quote from: Rothman on March 01, 2024, 11:22:06 AM
So...fewer yet bigger fires?

The downturn a century ago was due, at least in part, to a zealous fire containment policy adopted in this country.  It's argued that such a policy has only served to increase the fodder for current wildfires, and that we'd have been better off simply controlling the burns instead of putting them out altogether.

So, the current uptick in wildfires needs some context in order to interpret it meaningfully.  Location matters, size matters (snicker), cause matters, etc, etc.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Rothman

Quote from: kphoger on March 01, 2024, 11:35:55 AM
Quote from: Rothman on March 01, 2024, 11:22:06 AM
So...fewer yet bigger fires?

The downturn a century ago was due, at least in part, to a zealous fire containment policy adopted in this country.  It's argued that such a policy has only served to increase the fodder for current wildfires, and that we'd have been better off simply controlling the burns instead of putting them out altogether.

So, the current uptick in wildfires needs some context in order to interpret it meaningfully.  Location matters, size matters (snicker), cause matters, etc, etc.
I don't know.  Yes, full containment has had its effects, but the uptick in the 21st Century looks to be a different phenomenon.  Therefore, I don't think it can be dismissed as "Well, we aren't seeing the big burns from the earlier 20th Century, so nothing to worry about."
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

Quote from: Rothman on March 01, 2024, 12:12:21 PM
I don't know.  Yes, full containment has had its effects, but the uptick in the 21st Century looks to be a different phenomenon.  Therefore, I don't think it can be dismissed as "Well, we aren't seeing the big burns from the earlier 20th Century, so nothing to worry about."

I'm not saying it can be dismissed, not at all.  I'm just saying it's complicated.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

bing101

https://apnews.com/article/wildfires-texas-smokehouse-xcel-energy-22540df0a0c1d2c42a7fe0284858845a

Xcel Energy says its facilities appeared to have role in igniting largest wildfire in Texas history



Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.