Regional Boards > Great Lakes and Ohio Valley

I-69 Ohio River Bridge

<< < (293/297) > >>

Life in Paradise:

--- Quote from: Rothman on November 19, 2023, 07:21:28 PM ---
--- Quote from: abqtraveler on November 19, 2023, 07:16:31 PM ---
--- Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on November 17, 2023, 08:13:57 PM ---Is that $100M somewhat freed up to advance other projects?

--- End quote ---
If it were me, I would hold that $100M as "contingency." Something tells me that at least two of the bidders may have low-balled their bids to get the job. It reeks of the same stench that the debacle with Section 5 (Bloomington-Martinsville) had, where that bidder low-balled their bid by $80M and the contract was terminated midway through that project because the prime contractor ran out of money to finish the job. I sure hope that doesn't happen here.

--- End quote ---
Contingency means that it will get eaten up by change orders, just like HB said.  Contingency is built into PS&E.

--- End quote ---
What is interesting is that at least two of the bids were close to the same amount.  I wonder what Ragle's bid was.  It may be a case that there were errors in the bid language.

SEWIGuy:
Is this done intentionally since there are so many unknowns in the building process? So maybe they wrote the RFP a little "loose" because they know a specific bid will be difficult to determine?

Rick Powell:

--- Quote from: Life in Paradise on November 20, 2023, 11:46:13 AM ---
What is interesting is that at least two of the bids were close to the same amount.  I wonder what Ragle's bid was.  It may be a case that there were errors in the bid language.

--- End quote ---
Ragle's bid was $206.2M, so not far off the others for a project of this magnitude. Of the 3 contenders, only Ragle did not receive a cost proposal price adjustment, while both Lunda and ORX did receive reductions. Not sure what the reason for the adjustments were, maybe they had alternative value engineering proposals that cut the "as bid" price that the state accepted. Note that these were "design-build" proposals instead of traditional pay item bids, so there is usually a lot of flexibility in how the contractor meets the design intent. I've seen projects come in 30-40% under estimate before, sometimes it is a blown estimate where they forgot a critical pay item, other times it is just aggressive pricing where the contractor has a means and methods or material pricing advantage over the others. And the possibility of change orders is always there, depending on how accurate the existing conditions and proposed improvements were described pre-bid.

hbelkins:
Tolls may be off the table for the Ohio River bridge.

https://www.youtube.com/live/3CTtO5xRk1w?si=Q6GzWL-la17Hs5-W&t=4294

Forward to 1:11:30.

abqtraveler:

--- Quote from: hbelkins on January 29, 2024, 01:42:56 PM ---Tolls may be off the table for the Ohio River bridge.

https://www.youtube.com/live/3CTtO5xRk1w?si=Q6GzWL-la17Hs5-W&t=4294

Forward to 1:11:30.

--- End quote ---
That's Governor Beshear expressing his opinion concerning tolls for the Ohio River Bridge, but I'm not going to say it's a foregone conclusion the I-69 bridge won't ultimately be tolled. As Governor Beshear mentioned, Kentucky might have some additional funds they could throw at the bridge, but Indiana would also have to kick in additional funding to make the bridge toll-free.  A free I-69 bridge is not a done deal by a longshot, but at least the conversation is happening.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version