National Boards > Traffic Control

States that ignore MUTCD and go beyond

(1/6) > >>

roadman65:
NJ Turnpike paints lane striping with longer than MUTD maximum.

AK,CA, DE, GA ( some areas), IL,NJ,NY ( NYC) all have a second left turn signal head mounted on single lane left turns even though MUTCD requires only one.

There are more states as I have still not transited many in years or not at all. Feel free to add.

Please feel free also to list other situations where the road agencies go beyond the specs.

roadfro:

--- Quote from: roadman65 on February 15, 2023, 03:58:18 PM ---NJ Turnpike paints lane striping with longer than MUTD maximum.

--- End quote ---

MUTCD does not have a standard for 'broken line' (typical lane line) lengths. It is just a guidance statement (3A.06p04): "Broken lines should consist of 10-foot line segments and 30-foot gaps, or dimensions in a similar ratio of line segments to gaps as appropriate for traffic speeds and need for delineation."  However, I think most agencies use lengths as listed in this guidance.

--- Quote ---AK,CA, DE, GA ( some areas), IL,NJ,NY ( NYC) all have a second left turn signal head mounted on single lane left turns even though MUTCD requires only one.

--- End quote ---

Add Nevada to that list.

But also that's not ignoring MUTCD. And in reality, MUTCD doesn't have a specific requirement for number of signal heads for a turning movement when there's only one turn lane (although if there's not a through movement, then the dominant movement does require two signal heads). There is guidance that if there are two turning lanes, then two primary signal faces should be used, but there aren't any other standards that apply to number of signal heads for turning movements.

Exceeding the minimums, especially when the minimum is "one", is good for redundancy purposes. It's still baffling to me that agencies will use a single signal head for some movements...but that's me living in Nevada where redundant far side mounts are used at over 95% of installations.

Big John:

--- Quote from: roadfro on February 17, 2023, 12:02:57 PM ---
--- Quote from: roadman65 on February 15, 2023, 03:58:18 PM ---NJ Turnpike paints lane striping with longer than MUTD maximum.

--- End quote ---

MUTCD does not have a standard for 'broken line' (typical lane line) lengths. It is just a guidance statement (3A.06p04): "Broken lines should consist of 10-foot line segments and 30-foot gaps, or dimensions in a similar ratio of line segments to gaps as appropriate for traffic speeds and need for delineation."  However, I think most agencies use lengths as listed in this guidance.

--- End quote ---
Wiscon keeps the porportion, but uses 12.5' line and 37.5' gap.

jeffandnicole:
These aren't ignoring the MUTCD.  It's providing more than the minimum requirements. 

I would think every state has examples where they go above the minimum.

Hobart:
Alaska maintains a completely different set of recommendations about overhead signal head positioning and numbers than in the national MUTCD; it usually calls for one less thru signal on the mast arm than the national MUTCD would reccomend, and requires one be mounted to the far right side so you can see it around trucks.

Although it calls for less overhead signals than the MUTCD, it is pretty slick and arguably better than putting everything overhead. The far right signal is good for seeing around tall vehicles in front of you.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version