Non-Road Boards > Weather

April 8, 2024 Total Solar Eclipse

(1/18) > >>

webny99:
The countdown is on! In approximately 400 days, a swath of the US will experience a total solar eclipse for just the second time in recent history, and the first time since 2017. I figured it's time to start a thread for us to share viewing plans and, when the time comes, viewing experiences. A map of the eclipse's path can be found here: https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/map/2024-april-8

The following cities/metro areas are on or near the centerline of the eclipse's path:
Waco, TX
Indianapolis, IN
Cleveland, OH
Erie, PA
Buffalo, NY
Rochester, NY
Sherbrooke, QC

The following cities/metro areas are at least partially in the path of totality, but closer to the edge(s):
San Antonio, TX
Austin, TX
Dallas, TX
Fort Worth, TX
Little Rock, AR
Evansville, IN
Dayton, OH
Columbus, OH
Toledo, OH
Syracuse, NY
Hamilton, ON
Montreal, QC

The US/Canada border from just south of Detroit to northern Maine is also in the path of totality.

7/8:
I lucked into seeing the 2017 eclipse. I had a trip planned to drive down to Orlando, and a few weeks before leaving, I read about the eclipse online. Well it turns out our overnight stay in Nashville was timed perfectly to see it! (my Dad couldn't figure out why the hotels were so expensive that night :-D). There were some clouds in the sky that afternoon, but thankfully the eclipse weather worked out. It was a really cool experience and I've been excited for the 2024 ever since. :)

Here's a great link for a weather analysis along the 2024 eclipse path, focusing on the probability of overcast skies:
https://eclipsophile.com/2024tse/

I'm still undecided on what I'll do for 2024. The eclipse path comes pretty close to Kitchener, but early April doesn't have the best outlook weather-wise. Also, the eclipse would be a good reason for me to visit Mexico for the first time. Luckily I still have time to think about it.

ZLoth:
For the 2017 Eclipse, I traveled two days and had hotel rooms about an hour north of Smith's Ferry (center line of the path) for the eclipse. It was, quite simply, two minutes of AWESOME!!! Ironically, that also was the first day of school for many kids in the area. :wow: There were folks who planned their vacation around this event also.

As for 2024 Eclipse, I'm right on the edge of the eclipse line, and plan on taking the day off work. This will be the last solar elipse in the continental United States until (I believe) 2045. There are cruises out there just for eclipses.

SectorZ:
I'm going to head up to NW Vermont to see it the day of.

US 89:
Fairly certain we’ve had this thread before…
At any rate, I think I’m going to try driving to somewhere in Texas to see this.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version