News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Mid-Atlantic / Re: Delaware
Last post by Alex4897 - Today at 11:37:55 AM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on Today at 08:52:46 AM
Quote from: epzik8 on Today at 08:23:02 AMIt looks like Delaware has a color detour system for the 896 interchange project in the style of Pennsylvania's.

The detour requiring turning around at the Biden Welcome Center is much more interesting IMO.

Quote from: 74/171FAN on December 29, 2023, 01:37:20 PM(https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10219228995036191&set=a.10219229104798935)

The detour doesn't go through the welcome center, it goes up to DE 273 and turns around using the loops at that interchange.

I'm six episodes into Fallout which is centered around the ruins of Los Angeles.  So far there has been a couple BGSs for stuff like Hollywood Boulevard and Sunset Boulevard.  I was kind of hoping they would go overboard with the highway stuff like it was with New Vegas.
A lot of ramps on 315 would probably have had to close for I-71 to return to it.
Northeast / Re: Massachusetts
Last post by roadman65 - Today at 11:19:35 AM
Quote from: Rothman on Today at 06:48:48 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on Today at 12:33:17 AMhttps://maps.app.goo.gl/nXUufMWidfnysogFA
I take that "The Islands" refers to Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard on this guide on SB MA28.

What else would it refer to?

I'm not into the lingo of Mass not living there. I'm sure many non road geeks wonder what it means.

Island Ferries is more appropriate being you can't get to those islands via road.
Mid-Atlantic / Re: Francis Scott Key Bridge (...
Last post by roadman65 - Today at 11:12:23 AM
Name it the Sinnead O' Connor Bridge, as she protested against it at the PNC Arts Center in Holmdel, NJ as that venue treats rock concerts like the MBL treats the ball games. You have to stand up and listen to the Anthem played while standing up looking at the flag under the spotlight.

She refused upright to have it done during her concert and sparks flew then.

Or name it the Norman Lear Bridge for first introducing the controversy of the hymn in one of his All In The Family episodes. He had his writers come up with dialogue for Archie and Meathead to argue the song and write lines for the Meathead to oppose the song.

:bigass:
General Highway Talk / Re: State Line advertisements ...
Last post by OCGuy81 - Today at 11:09:19 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on Today at 11:00:42 AM
Quote from: OCGuy81 on Today at 10:58:05 AMI will say, California is a LOT cheaper than Oregon, also an ABC Store State.  I feel there wouldn't be an exit for Hilt, CA (first exit along I-5 in California) without a discount liquor store pandering to Oregonians.

The legendary, or infamous depending on your point of view, South of the Border in South Carolina got its start for similar reasons: The nearby counties in North Carolina were dry and South of the Border was located as close to the state line as possible to sell beer to North Carolinians. (I have no idea whether they were able to advertise in North Carolina back then, though of course later on their billboards were well-known.)

LOTS of fun conspiracy theories about that place, most involving money laundering.
Last post by hotdogPi - Today at 11:06:09 AM
Fireworks in MA for NH.

I don't know if NH billboards are allowed to advertise MA weed or not.

Other than Nevada, I'm surprised there are no prostitute billboards either for Washtenaw County MI (where it's de facto legal because the county said they wouldn't enforce state law) or for any location more than three nautical miles from the coast (where no state laws apply).
Last post by 1995hoo - Today at 11:00:42 AM
Quote from: OCGuy81 on Today at 10:58:05 AMI will say, California is a LOT cheaper than Oregon, also an ABC Store State.  I feel there wouldn't be an exit for Hilt, CA (first exit along I-5 in California) without a discount liquor store pandering to Oregonians.

The legendary, or infamous depending on your point of view, South of the Border in South Carolina got its start for similar reasons: The nearby counties in North Carolina were dry and South of the Border was located as close to the state line as possible to sell beer to North Carolinians. (I have no idea whether they were able to advertise in North Carolina back then, though of course later on their billboards were well-known.)
Last post by OCGuy81 - Today at 10:58:05 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on Today at 10:50:25 AM"Oleo." Wow. There's a word I hadn't heard in many years.

In terms of advertising generally, but not so much in terms of billboards, Virginia (as is the case with a number of states) has a statutory limit on the amount of alcoholic beverages you can import into the Commonwealth at one time unless you have a permit. Virginia is also an ABC store state, meaning the only places you can buy liquor in Virginia are state-run stores. Those of us in Northern Virginia have long gone to DC or Maryland to buy liquor because the prices and selection are often better. The ABC knows that, of course. They used to send personnel into DC to spy on people going to liquor stores to see who had Virginia plates and how much they bought. If they bought more than the legal limit, the spies would radio ahead to law enforcement in Virginia, who (assuming the person took the anticipated route) would then pull them over and issue a citation. I'm not aware of that sort of thing happening these days, although it's legal under the terms of the Twenty-First Amendment.

So the liquor stores in DC and Maryland used to run ads targeted to Virginia residents, and I remember at least one of them used to advertise that it wasn't subject to ABC surveillance (which always seemed dumb to me—who's to say the ABC wouldn't say, "Oh yeah?" and show up to prove them wrong). That particular store no longer exists because the shopping center where it was located was demolished and redeveloped.

I will say, California is a LOT cheaper than Oregon, also an ABC Store State.  I feel there wouldn't be an exit for Hilt, CA (first exit along I-5 in California) without a discount liquor store pandering to Oregonians.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.