News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Ohio Road Meet 2019 - Portsmouth (May 18)

Started by Hot Rod Hootenanny, October 03, 2018, 04:39:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which city/event would you be most interested in visiting/participating

Portsmouth-Oh 823 completion (will need assistance)
9 (64.3%)
Findlay - I-75-US 68-Oh 15 interchange/Old US 25 (Dixie Highway)
1 (7.1%)
Zanesville - National Road Museum/US 40
1 (7.1%)
Cleveland/Cuyahoga Co Bridge Tour
1 (7.1%)
Other (please state your locale & road(s) of choice)
2 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: December 02, 2018, 03:39:48 PM

Hot Rod Hootenanny

We've gotten close enough to the date that 10 day forecasts cover our date.  As of right now, low 70s and clearing skies (low chance of rain on Thursday & Friday prior to the meet). Before anyone interjects, subject to change.
As of now, I'm going to tell Portsmouth Brewing Company to expect 10 for lunch (unless a bunch of "fence-sitters" change their minds)
I'll have an itinerary ready by Friday (tomorrow) at the latest.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on May 10, 2019, 01:25:01 PM
Google Map link for the event
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Gfh8B6uqkZ_sQYy8ILRxngbO0SGynmmi&usp=sharing

Updated the Google map with some sort of routing for the tour.
Google's routing from 'Lester Farm' (Portsmouth Airport) to Lucasville gets murky (to say the least). All we're doing is going south on Oh 335 to Shumway Hollow Rd west to Oh 823 north. NOT the histrionics Google has us going.

jpi

Hi Everyone,
Most of you may know by now my cousin in York, PA passed away yesterday and it looks like the funeral will be Sunday or Monday, if its Sunday I still plan on attending this event but just for lunch and maybe some of the tour then I have to peal off and start working my way to York, PA I will know more later today.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

kevinb1994

Quote from: jpi on May 16, 2019, 10:50:30 AM
Hi Everyone,
Most of you may know by now my cousin in York, PA passed away yesterday and it looks like the funeral will be Sunday or Monday, if its Sunday I still plan on attending this event but just for lunch and maybe some of the tour then I have to peal off and start working my way to York, PA I will know more later today.

Jason, I'm sorry to hear about your loss. I'm going to be up north for a family trip this weekend starting tomorrow evening/night, but not in and around York, PA.

I am also not going to be at the Portsmouth meet for the same reason.

hbelkins

I was certainly sorry to hear about your cousin. I was also sorry about your kitty. One of our dogs crossed the Rainbow Bridge Monday night, and we've been in the same boat about making that tough decision way too many times in the past, so the Elkins household certainly understands.

Unless something changes, and that's not likely at this point, I will not be at the Portsmouth meet, for a variety of reasons.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Alps

Quote from: hbelkins on May 16, 2019, 03:19:08 PM
I was certainly sorry to hear about your cousin. I was also sorry about your kitty. One of our dogs crossed the Rainbow Bridge Monday night, and we've been in the same boat about making that tough decision way too many times in the past, so the Elkins household certainly understands.

Unless something changes, and that's not likely at this point, I will not be at the Portsmouth meet, for a variety of reasons.
I won't be there, if it helps.

hbelkins

Quote from: Alps on May 16, 2019, 03:26:13 PM

No, and it would be fine if you were. Just too many things going on in my life to be able to make the trip or justify the expense.

ADDENDUM: If you, or anyone else, care to know why I opted not to attend...

*We had a dog die Monday night, and my wife is heartbroken over it. It would be incredibly selfish for me to run off so soon afterwards and leave her home alone. Even if this hadn't happened, he had been in rapidly declining health for a couple of weeks and I would have stayed home if he hadn't died.

*I keep having small little issues pop up with my vehicle and it's not as trustworthy as it used to be. Even a direct up-and-back to Portsmouth is about 140 miles one-way, and I'm a little uneasy about driving that distance right now. And I can't afford any major vehicle repairs.

*I can't really justify the expense. I could have cashed in a couple of free hotel nights, but the trip up and back (plus the auxiliary trip over to see the US 35 construction that I was planning) would use the equivalent of a week's worth of gas to get to work and back. Plus the cost of meals. When finances are tight, you cut frivolous expenses.

*It's a struggle anymore just to get up and go to work or do the things I have to do. There's no motivation to do anything other than what's absolutely necessary, and even then it's difficult.

*Finally, I've seen everything on the tour except the Otway covered bridge, and it was the very last stop. Without the other factors, I might have considered coming if it had been first on the tour, and I would have kept on going at Wheelersburg to go check out US 35. The way the tour was structured, I would have had to see a bunch of stuff I've already seen and then end up on the west side of Portsmouth and then have to backtrack to head east.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: hbelkins on May 17, 2019, 11:58:42 AM

No, and it would be fine if you were. Just too many things going on in my life to be able to make the trip or justify the expense.

Anyways.....
Thanks for the suggestion concerning 'Lester Farms,' AKA - Barns with the roadsigns, near the Portsmouth Airport.

Brandon

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on May 18, 2019, 11:33:55 PM

Anyways.....
Thanks for the suggestion concerning 'Lester Farms,' AKA - Barns with the roadsigns, near the Portsmouth Airport.

That was pretty good, and made a bit more cool due to the owner actually inviting us to get a bit closer to photograph the signs.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

hbelkins

Quote from: Brandon on May 19, 2019, 04:18:16 PM

Anyways.....

That was pretty good, and made a bit more cool due to the owner actually inviting us to get a bit closer to photograph the signs.

I was only aware of the one building, the one with the KY 7 sign on it. I saw the photo of the one with the US 68 sign on it. I didn't know about it. Did the owner give you guys any history about his collection?

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: hbelkins on May 19, 2019, 05:53:31 PM
Quote from: Brandon on May 19, 2019, 04:18:16 PM

Anyways.....

I was only aware of the one building, the one with the KY 7 sign on it. I saw the photo of the one with the US 68 sign on it. I didn't know about it. Did the owner give you guys any history about his collection?
No, the guy who encouraged us to come closer, drove in with one vehicle, drove out in another vehicle after he picked up something else that he moved.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.