News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Elgin-O'Hare Tollway

Started by Brandon, January 24, 2013, 05:38:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon

Quote from: cabiness42 on October 10, 2017, 09:16:43 AM
Quote from: Brandon on October 09, 2017, 09:18:15 PM
Quote from: I-39 on October 09, 2017, 08:54:38 PM
No, the millennial generation wants more mass transit and sustainable development. They don't want more roads like IL-53. I'm sorry to say, but I really think it's dead in the water.

That's the biggest bunch of horse shit I've seen in a while.  Certain people in the media love to push it, but it doesn't pan out in reality.

I'm currently looking out my office window at the headquarters of the world's second largest private employer, which is in the process of a move from Oak Brook to the West Loop primarily because they are having trouble getting millenials to work in Oak Brook think they're being "cool" by moving into Chicago.

FIFY.  There are plenty of companies staying put where they are.  They'll also lose a good percentage of their experienced work force with the move.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

ET21

Quote from: johndoe780 on October 09, 2017, 11:31:30 PM
Quote from: I-39 on October 09, 2017, 10:02:34 PM
No, the millennial generation wants more mass transit and sustainable development. They don't want more roads like IL-53. I'm sorry to say, but I really think it's dead in the water.

That's the biggest bunch of horse shit I've seen in a while.  Certain people in the media love to push it, but it doesn't pan out in reality.

Not saying I agree with it, but there is some truth behind that. Why do you think companies are moving to big cities and there is more and more push for "liveable" communities (i.e, with lots of pedestrian-friendly streets, bike paths, walking distance to stores, etc).

I'm not saying I don't think IL-53 is needed, I definitely think it's needed, but unless there is a drastic change of attitude soon, I don't think it will happen.

Your logic is flawed. No millineal in their damn mind would want to live in Long Grove let alone afford it.

Even the hipsters can't afford it  :-D :-D
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: Brandon on October 10, 2017, 10:17:00 AM

I'm currently looking out my office window at the headquarters of the world's second largest private employer, which is in the process of a move from Oak Brook to the West Loop primarily because they are having trouble getting millenials to work in Oak Brook think they're being "cool" by moving into Chicago.

FIFY.  There are plenty of companies staying put where they are.  They'll also lose a good percentage of their experienced work force with the move.

I think they want cut out the old dead wood and this is way to do it with out firing people.

johndoe780

Quote from: ET21 on October 10, 2017, 11:49:32 AM
Quote from: johndoe780 on October 09, 2017, 11:31:30 PM
Quote from: I-39 on October 09, 2017, 10:02:34 PM

Not saying I agree with it, but there is some truth behind that. Why do you think companies are moving to big cities and there is more and more push for "liveable" communities (i.e, with lots of pedestrian-friendly streets, bike paths, walking distance to stores, etc).

I'm not saying I don't think IL-53 is needed, I definitely think it's needed, but unless there is a drastic change of attitude soon, I don't think it will happen.

Your logic is flawed. No millineal in their damn mind would want to live in Long Grove let alone afford it.

Even the hipsters can't afford it  :-D :-D

What's the average house price in places like Long Grove? 750k? 1 mill?

Hipsters complain about $1200/month for rent... The toll road is the least of their concern.

Finrod

Quote from: quickshade on October 10, 2017, 12:37:24 AM
They can fight over it all they want, and i'm all for more mass transit options, but until we get mass transit systems that not only work, but don't cost an arm and a leg and can't ever seem to run on time it won't happen. People hate being stuck and not in control of the situation when it happens and thats why mass transit hasn't taken off in this country like in others. We like the freedom of being in control of our own car. Japan has an excellent transit system that would be great for here but until we clear out Madigan, the cook county board and a few other problems we have it'll never happen. 53 does need to happen, and it is only a matter of time before it does.

Doesn't help that pretty much no mass transit system in the country comes even close to paying for itself.  So every time one gets built or extended the costs only go up and there's no money for anything else.
Internet member since 1987.

Hate speech is a nonsense concept; the truth is hate speech to those that hate the truth.

People who use their free speech to try to silence others' free speech are dangerous fools.

edwaleni

Quote from: Finrod on October 11, 2017, 01:58:49 AM
Quote from: quickshade on October 10, 2017, 12:37:24 AM
They can fight over it all they want, and i'm all for more mass transit options, but until we get mass transit systems that not only work, but don't cost an arm and a leg and can't ever seem to run on time it won't happen. People hate being stuck and not in control of the situation when it happens and thats why mass transit hasn't taken off in this country like in others. We like the freedom of being in control of our own car. Japan has an excellent transit system that would be great for here but until we clear out Madigan, the cook county board and a few other problems we have it'll never happen. 53 does need to happen, and it is only a matter of time before it does.

Doesn't help that pretty much no mass transit system in the country comes even close to paying for itself.  So every time one gets built or extended the costs only go up and there's no money for anything else.

Autonomous Transit will be the future for variable destinations desired by cars. It won't replace mass transit where 10's or 100's of thousands need to reach a specific locale but they will still need roads to function.

The City of Jacksonville Florida is looking to replace their automated people mover system with fully autonomous vehicles that can access the elevated right of way where a monorail exists today, directly from the street.

So for urban spaces the cars go up on a elevated ROW where regular cars can't go and stop at stations, and in the suburbs they use the arterials and freeways that already exist and stop at either bus stops or at the address of your choice.

Look ahead route planning using telemetry will guide your vehicle on a route that bypasses accidents.

No word on how these can be programmed to avoid neighborhoods.  I would hate to get caught at 63rd and State trying to avoid a backup on the Ryan.

Rick Powell

For people who live in Lake County, and work in northern Cook or DuPage, the potential for additional mass transit is challenging. Lots of mass transit is available for people who live in the suburbs and work downtown, as Metra is one of the largest and most successful spoke-and-hub transit systems in the USA. And there is a logic for firms located downtown (like where I work) because you can draw from a large talent pool when you are at the center point of a robust spoke-and-hub system like Metra (and for those in CTA or biking distance of the loop or for the hardy souls who drive and park in the loop). But I will also tell you, from actual observation of our work force and the work force of other companies and agencies we work with, that somewhere around 9 of 10 millenials/Gen X and Y will move to the suburbs when their children reach school age. We have a few people within 5 or 10 minutes' walking distance of our office. But even for the city residents among us, their commute is often a 45 minute to 1 hour affair when all the walking, waiting and riding is all factored in.

Revive 755

Recently noticed that a couple of the new sign bridges for the EOE at or east of I-290 have illumination for the BGS's mounted upon them.  I had thought those were going extinct given the improved retroreflectivity of signs.

compdude787

Yup. I doubt it has anything to do with millennials not wanting to work in the suburbs. I'm a millennial and I actually like living in the suburbs. I have never understood the hate for suburbs. In fact, I want to have a job in the suburbs so that I don't have to commute all the way into downtown Seattle, whose road network has not seen a significant capacity increase since the 60s.

ChiMilNet

Quote from: compdude787 on October 14, 2017, 12:16:14 AM

Yup. I doubt it has anything to do with millennials not wanting to work in the suburbs. I'm a millennial and I actually like living in the suburbs. I have never understood the hate for suburbs. In fact, I want to have a job in the suburbs so that I don't have to commute all the way into downtown Seattle, whose road network has not seen a significant capacity increase since the 60s.

As a millennial who recently made the move from suburbs to city, I can tell you it's very much a lifestyle thing. At least from an Illinois perspective, the abundance of public transportation in the city is just a lot more convenient than dealing with the mess of a road system in the burbs, at least in my opinion. Getting this back on the main subject, the new IL-390 Tollway will help things, but I do believe that it would be a great candidate for a future mass transit (maybe part of a blue line extension, for instance).

However, when I go to the burbs, I absolutely want more highways as it allows me to get where I am going faster out that way.

inkyatari

Registered my wife and son for the event.  Should be a blast!
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

Great Lakes Roads

Quote from: inkyatari on October 19, 2017, 08:50:55 AM
Registered my wife and son for the event.  Should be a blast!

I am also going to the event!! Can't wait!!

bobonabike

Great Lakes Roads

Here are the driving videos on the new section of the Elgin-O'Hare expressway (Illinois Route 390) in BOTH directions!!  :clap: :clap: :clap:

Eastbound:
https://youtu.be/gtnVKWcPKYY

Westbound:
https://youtu.be/gtH9g3yVy7s

johndoe780

I like how ITHSA painted the gantries gray instead of that gross rusty looking paint IDOT uses.

Does anyone know why IDOT continues to use rusty looking paint on its bridges and gantries?

mgk920

What's the current end-to-end car toll on IL 390?

Also, is there any near-term possibility for the ISTHA to adapt the 'pay by mail' plate photo thing that other tollway and bridge/tunnel authorities use on their open road/electronic tolls?

BTW, that eastward extension is one of those corridors that I thought that I would never see developed.

Mike

Brandon

Quote from: mgk920 on November 06, 2017, 10:58:36 AM
Also, is there any near-term possibility for the ISTHA to adapt the 'pay by mail' plate photo thing that other tollway and bridge/tunnel authorities use on their open road/electronic tolls?

ISTHA does pay online rather than 'pay by mail' plate photo thing.  If you pay online within 7 days, it's merely the cash rate (twice the I-Pass rate) with no other fees or fines attached (unlike some other agencies do).

The rates are here: https://www.illinoistollway.com/tolling-information
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

SEWIGuy

What's the current end-to-end car toll on IL 390?

$1.90 Ipass, $3.80 cash

dvferyance

sparker

Quote from: johndoe780 on November 06, 2017, 10:04:36 AM
I like how ITHSA painted the gantries gray instead of that gross rusty looking paint IDOT uses.

Does anyone know why IDOT continues to use rusty looking paint on its bridges and gantries?

If it's Corr-Ten (I hope I got the spelling right) steel, it is inherently "rusty", as the steel is deliberately intended to build up an outer oxidized layer that protects the actual structure from rust damage.  It's extensively used in OR and WA, where year-round moisture is a perpetual problem. 

compdude787

Quote from: Brandon on November 06, 2017, 11:45:22 AM

ISTHA does pay online rather than 'pay by mail' plate photo thing.  If you pay online within 7 days, it's merely the cash rate (twice the I-Pass rate) with no other fees or fines attached (unlike some other agencies do).

The rates are here: https://www.illinoistollway.com/tolling-information

Frankly, I wish every toll agency did it that way. If I was driving on a particular road as part of a trip only once such that I didn't think it worth getting a transponder prior to the trip, I'd rather be able to pay online just after I've used the road rather than waiting for that toll agency to send me a bill in the mail.

Rick Powell

Quote from: sparker on November 06, 2017, 08:09:03 PM
Quote from: johndoe780 on November 06, 2017, 10:04:36 AM

If it's Corr-Ten (I hope I got the spelling right) steel, it is inherently "rusty", as the steel is deliberately intended to build up an outer oxidized layer that protects the actual structure from rust damage.  It's extensively used in OR and WA, where year-round moisture is a perpetual problem. 

Plus, Cor-Ten doesn't need to be painted, which eliminates a maintenance expense. IDOT does paint the beam ends of "high visibility"  bridges of Cor-Ten steel, because it leaves horrible rust stains on adjacent concrete piers and slope walls if left untreated.

Brandon

Quote from: dvferyance on November 06, 2017, 07:27:28 PM
RIP Thorndale Ave.

Thorndale is now the service drive for the eastern EOE.

inkyatari

It seems to me that the only reason the 390 / 490 projects are being built is because the ISTHA is bored and needs something to do.  the north 53 extension / 120 improvements are much more needed, but who knows what's going to happen with that.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

Henry

I'm definitely going to check out the new tollway on my next trip back to Chicago!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.