News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Street/Highway names that will never exist

Started by hotdogPi, June 05, 2016, 08:26:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kkt

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on July 11, 2016, 03:26:37 PM
And a couple more:
John Muir Freeway

Is your Google broken?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_State_Route_4
QuoteSR 4 is also known as the John Muir Parkway from I-80 in Hercules to I-680 near Martinez, named for the environmentalist John Muir.

Its name is Parkway, but it has been upgraded to freeway for a while now.

kphoger

the FritzOwl Memorial Highway being an US route
the Ethanman62187 Memorial Freeway being I-366 with an 85 mph speed limit,
the TheAlan360 Memorial Goat Path being and not being a goat path

These actually deserve extra credit, if you ask me.  If you design and post a route shield for TheAlan360 Memorial Goat Path, I'll give you a gold crown.  It will be prohibited to wear said crown any day except yesterday, of course, the violation of which is both required by law and punishable by burning at the stake.  VIVA EL CHIVO...
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

paulthemapguy

Quote from: kkt on July 11, 2016, 03:37:56 PM
And a couple more:
John Muir Freeway

Is your Google broken?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_State_Route_4
QuoteSR 4 is also known as the John Muir Parkway from I-80 in Hercules to I-680 near Martinez, named for the environmentalist John Muir.

Its name is Parkway, but it has been upgraded to freeway for a while now.

Hahahaha actually I appreciate that this was brought up...I never considered the massive irony in that road name until just now.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: paulthemapguy on July 12, 2016, 10:27:10 PMHahahaha actually I appreciate that this was brought up...I never considered the massive irony in that road name until just now.

Yup. I thought they would never name a freeway after an enviromentalist, only to find it has already happened. Anyway, here are another three that will never exist:
Appalachian Freeway
Continental Divide Freeway
Pacific Crest Freeway

Also, I've mentioned a couple times there will never be a street named after a disease. This doesn't rule out the possibilty of a street named after someone whose last name happens to name a disease, like this rue in Marseille(s), France.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

dmr37

dfwmapper

Quote from: kphoger on July 10, 2016, 07:32:58 PM
This thread has devolved into a mix of (1) street names that do actually exist but the member neglected to bother doing a cursory Google search first, and (2) silly names that only bear resemblance to street names by the addition of "Hwy" or "St" at the end. We seem to have run out of truly clever ones.

I was about to suggest "Hwy 0", but Wikipedia lists two highways with that number, in Belgium and Hungary. That makes me wonder, are there any highways with true fractions as their number? e.g. Route 6½?
There are counties that didn't really feel like putting any effort into naming their roads and use whole numbers and letters for section line roads with fractions for in-between roads. The intersection of 19 1/2 Road and J 2/10 Road in Fruita, CO, for example.

kphoger

Quote from: dfwmapper on July 13, 2016, 07:02:44 PM
This thread has devolved into a mix of (1) street names that do actually exist but the member neglected to bother doing a cursory Google search first, and (2) silly names that only bear resemblance to street names by the addition of "Hwy" or "St" at the end. We seem to have run out of truly clever ones.

I was about to suggest "Hwy 0", but Wikipedia lists two highways with that number, in Belgium and Hungary. That makes me wonder, are there any highways with true fractions as their number? e.g. Route 6½?
There are counties that didn't really feel like putting any effort into naming their roads and use whole numbers and letters for section line roads with fractions for in-between roads. The intersection of 19 1/2 Road and J 2/10 Road in Fruita, CO, for example.

Oh yeah, I'm quite familiar with local road names including fractions. But signed route numbers is another thing.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: dvferyance on July 05, 2016, 04:57:51 PM
You will never see a Badger Rd in Minnesota or a Packer Dr there. You will never see a Vikings St in Wisconsin.

There's a Green Bay Avenue in Sturgeon Lake, MN.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

SteveG1988

Was going to say Richard M. Nixon Freeway, but california has that.

And also Parkway.

Mussolini Mall Drive

Pinochet Petting Zoo Lane

Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

kphoger

This thread has devolved into ... silly names that only bear resemblance to street names by the addition of "Hwy" or "St" at the end. We seem to have run out of truly clever ones.

Quote from: SteveG1988 on July 16, 2016, 12:27:04 AM
Pinochet Petting Zoo Lane

Thank you for proving my point.
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.