News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Was the US 287 freeway in Ft Worth ever signed as I-20?

Started by bugo, June 27, 2012, 11:47:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

I just got a Dallas-Ft Worth map that shows the partially completed US 287 freeway between I-30 and I-820 as I-20.  Was this ever signed in the field?

Brian556

What year is the map and who made it? I have never heard of this before.

bugo

Quote from: Brian556 on June 28, 2012, 06:26:14 PM
What year is the map and who made it? I have never heard of this before.

1965 Conoco/Gousha.

FLRoads

While not answering the question of whether or not Interstate 20 was ever signed in the field along the U.S. 287 freeway in Fort Worth, here is a 1977 Phillips 66/Gousha map I recently acquired that still shows that portion as I-20:

Does make me wonder if it was signed since the 1965 and 1977 Gousha maps show it as such. Maybe it was signed with TEMP banners.

texaskdog

It appears to be a temporary connection since the actual 20 wasn't finished yet

bugo

If it was shown as I-20 for that many years, then I would think it would have had to be fully signed.  I-20 has been rerouted a few times in the metroplex, so it wouldn't surprise me to know it had been rerouted one more time.

agentsteel53

it looks like at that time the plan was to make 820 a full circular beltway?

where does 30 end on that map?  Dallas?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

bugo

I assume the freeway that headed west from the western terminus of the Dallas-Fort Worth Turnpike was signed I-30.  I don't believe the turnpike was ever signed I-20 or I-30 until tolls were removed.  It was a "gap" in the system.  I have no idea why it wasn't signed as an interstate all along.  I-30 appears to end at the current I-30/US 287 interchange.

This isn't the only map I've ever seen that shows I-20 on this road.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.