News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Virginia cutout havens still remaining?

Started by hbelkins, February 18, 2020, 02:17:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mapmikey

Got to do an abbreviated solo ride yesterday to see if i can resume doing these.

Pearisburg is down to 1 set of cutouts (460 Bus WB approaching VA 100).  The others were removed as part of sidewalk rehab projects.  The intersection save the one set of cutouts is completely unposted now.

The last known Roanoke cutout, on VA 116, has been replaced

The last US 19-460 cutout in Bluefield, which had the shields removed but not direction banners in last couple years, was replaced with two SR rectangle markers that say "19 south" and "460 west".  This is only the second instance of white rectangles used as reassurance shields that i can recall (other is on one of the VA 370 segments).  Two normal VA 102 cutouts remain, a couple triangle cuouts remain, and several I-102 cutouts remain.

hbelkins

Quote from: Mapmikey on June 18, 2023, 09:30:52 AM
Got to do an abbreviated solo ride yesterday to see if i can resume doing these.

Pearisburg is down to 1 set of cutouts (460 Bus WB approaching VA 100).  The others were removed as part of sidewalk rehab projects.  The intersection save the one set of cutouts is completely unposted now.

The last US 19-460 cutout in Bluefield, which had the shields removed but not direction banners in last couple years, was replaced with two SR rectangle markers that say "19 south" and "460 west".  This is only the second instance of white rectangles used as reassurance shields that i can recall (other is on one of the VA 370 segments).  Two normal VA 102 cutouts remain, a couple triangle cuouts remain, and several I-102 cutouts remain.

Did I read that you're recovering from a stroke or other medical issue?

I've recovered from a stroke myself, and just got cleared by my cardiologist on Friday to resume normal activities and drive farther than locally. (Actually I could have been cleared a month ago after seeing my neurologist, but my wife's kept an eagle eye on me and wanted to wait until I saw the cardiologist.) Since I'm going back to work tomorrow, I took a solo trip today that involved London, Barbourville, Pineville, Harlan, Whitesburg, Jackson, and Hazard. I was reasonably close to Norton, but didn't cross the state line to see if it's still full of cutouts. That may be on tap for a future excursion.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Mapmikey

Quote from: hbelkins on June 18, 2023, 08:53:23 PM
Quote from: Mapmikey on June 18, 2023, 09:30:52 AM

Did I read that you're recovering from a stroke or other medical issue?

I've recovered from a stroke myself, and just got cleared by my cardiologist on Friday to resume normal activities and drive farther than locally. (Actually I could have been cleared a month ago after seeing my neurologist, but my wife's kept an eagle eye on me and wanted to wait until I saw the cardiologist.) Since I'm going back to work tomorrow, I took a solo trip today that involved London, Barbourville, Pineville, Harlan, Whitesburg, Jackson, and Hazard. I was reasonably close to Norton, but didn't cross the state line to see if it's still full of cutouts. That may be on tap for a future excursion.

I had a pretty serious stroke in Oct 2022...was fully paralyzed on the right side.  My right leg is mostly recovered to just minor impairment  but my right arm has spasticity issues limiting its movement.  My hand has only recently gotten a lot more movement back and fine motor skills are very limited.  Can only type one-handed.  I did resume driving in late February.  The length of the drives is not a medical issue but rather a spousal comfort issue plus can i drive 14+ hours with just the one hand.  I resumed teleworking Jan 1 and started commuting again Feb 23.

Sorry to learn of your stroke.  0 out of 10 stars.  Would not recommend, even though it "solved" my minor back issues and I lost 30 pounds.  Glad to hear you are resuming activities.

Roadtripping is hard if trying to limit sodium.  Pretty much every place serving food is trying to kill you with sodium.

hbelkins

Rode down to Haysi today and discovered that the cutout VA 63 sign and the "Maximum Safe Speed" advisory sign have been replaced.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Mapmikey

As of today there is still a US 17-50-522 cutout assembly and a VA 7 cutout, both on Pleasant Valley Dr in Winchester.

Takumi

The VA 161 cutouts are still there as of today.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.