News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-290 rebuild/expansion feedback

Started by ET21, October 09, 2013, 12:29:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dzlsabe

Quote from: Stratuscaster on November 04, 2015, 11:09:50 PM
I'm all for ideas that make sense to me. Sorry to say this one doesn't.
Its NOT about ideas that make sense to YOU, your highness wherever your from. Its about ideas that make sense for the millions that live around here, be it highway, rail, or transit.
ILs mantra..the beatings will continue until the morale improves but Expect Delays is good too. Seems some are happy that Chicago/land remains miserable. Status quo is often asinine...Always feel free to use a dictionary as I tend to offend younger or more sensitive viewers. Thanx Pythagoras. :rofl:

Brandon

Quote from: dzlsabe on November 05, 2015, 11:52:54 AM
Its NOT about ideas that make sense to YOU, your highness wherever your from. Its about ideas that make sense for the millions that live around here, be it highway, rail, or transit.

But your hypotenuse doesn't make any sense what-so-ever unless you're in a hot butt hurry to get from Elgin to Gary.  It does not follow traffic patterns.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

dzlsabe

Quote from: Brandon on November 05, 2015, 12:04:35 PM

But your hypotenuse doesn't make any sense what-so-ever unless you're in a hot butt hurry to get from Elgin to Gary.  It does not follow traffic patterns.
It does very little for Joliet. Its not supposed to "follow" traffic patterns. It gives an option to five or six known traffic debacles and compliments the existing tollway system.
ILs mantra..the beatings will continue until the morale improves but Expect Delays is good too. Seems some are happy that Chicago/land remains miserable. Status quo is often asinine...Always feel free to use a dictionary as I tend to offend younger or more sensitive viewers. Thanx Pythagoras. :rofl:

ET21

The millions that live here will also think it's stupid
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

dzlsabe

Nobody that lives here says theyre from "Chicagoland". I said "millions that live around here, be it highway, rail, or transit". So which one is stupid? Any and every project that dosent involve where you drive?

Stratuscaster

Quote from: dzlsabe on November 05, 2015, 06:05:06 PM
Nobody that lives here says theyre from "Chicagoland".
I do. And I'm not alone. Makes it easier for some people to visualize and understand in relation to other places. So you are wrong with your assumption.

And why 23yo Huskie?
And what in the Wide Wide World of Sports does ET21's age or college affiliation have to do with anything? Or are you just reaching for straws to berate those that don't agree with your plan?

Quote from: dzlsabe on November 05, 2015, 12:15:33 PM
It does very little for Joliet. Its not supposed to "follow" traffic patterns. It gives an option to five or six known traffic debacles and compliments the existing tollway system.
OK - so apparently those "millions" that live around here don't include those that live in Joliet (including those that live NORTH of I-80, too?) Where do you stop giving fucks about where people are served by your plan? Draw it on a map so we can understand.

What are those 5 or 6 "known traffic debacles" that this will solve again?

No need to call me "highness." "Sir" will do just fine.

Perhaps you are simply doing a poor job of explaining to us how your plan makes sense to the millions that live around here - when you've already admitted that it doesn't. Or, more correctly, you've insinuated that anyone in Joliet or south of I-80 "doesn't count."

In my view - and it's just MY view, you don't have to accept it or even like it - your plan is overly expensive and destructive and carries little benefit except to a very narrow section of the traffic that might use it.

dzlsabe

Quote from: Stratuscaster on November 05, 2015, 11:59:55 PM
Nobody that lives here says theyre from "Chicagoland".
I do. And I'm not alone. Makes it easier for some people to visualize and understand in relation to other places. So you are wrong with your assumption.

And why 23yo Huskie?
And what in the Wide Wide World of Sports does ET21's age or college affiliation have to do with anything? Or are you just reaching for straws to berate those that don't agree with your plan?

Quote from: dzlsabe on November 05, 2015, 12:15:33 PM
OK - so apparently those "millions" that live around here don't include those that live in Joliet (including those that live NORTH of I-80, too?) Where do you stop giving fucks about where people are served by your plan? Draw it on a map so we can understand.

What are those 5 or 6 "known traffic debacles" that this will solve again?

No need to call me "highness." "Sir" will do just fine.

Perhaps you are simply doing a poor job of explaining to us how your plan makes sense to the millions that live around here - when you've already admitted that it doesn't. Or, more correctly, you've insinuated that anyone in Joliet or south of I-80 "doesn't count."

In my view - and it's just MY view, you don't have to accept it or even like it - your plan is overly expensive and destructive and carries little benefit except to a very narrow section of the traffic that might use it.

Chicagoland is a VERY diverse place. It could mean your moms basement.

No doubt Im doing a poor job. We (all the folks more computer savvy than me) cant figure out how to upload PDFs to "attachments and other options". Then you could look at maps and articles that IDOT, CMAP, the newspapers and numerous congressmen have/or not received over the years.
The last list of "traffic debacles" was the Tribune, Aug 26.
And Ill start a new thread ASAP.

And I certainly never insinuated (or meant to) that ANYONE doesnt count.

"Overly expensive and destructive"..?
I bake to differ.

ET21

Nobody that lives here says theyre from "Chicagoland". I said "millions that live around here, be it highway, rail, or transit". So which one is stupid? Any and every project that dosent involve you south of I-80 folks? And why 23yo Huskie?

I say I'm from Chicagoland, because while I live in one place I travel all over the region. Plus its the Internet, so I can list whatever location I damn well please.

I am not south of I-80, but besides that, why all the hate?

Why are you so concerned with my age and my avatar picture? It's my alma mater that I graduated and proud of being associated with, something that I don't think you'll ever attain if you keep this selfish attitude up.

I love how this person has started this same argument in 3 threads (possibly 4?), including this one. Since obviously he is starting to pull this discussion away from the original title and purpose  :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Clinched:

dzlsabe

Quote from: ET21 on November 06, 2015, 01:55:26 PM
Nobody that lives here says theyre from "Chicagoland". I said "millions that live around here, be it highway, rail, or transit". So which one is stupid? Any and every project that dosent involve you south of I-80 folks? And why 23yo Huskie?

I say I'm from Chicagoland, because while I live in one place I travel all over the region. Plus its the Internet, so I can list whatever location I damn well please.

Why are you so concerned with my age and my avatar picture? It's my alma mater that I graduated and proud of being associated with, something that I don't think you'll ever attain if you keep this selfish attitude up.

I love how this person has started this same argument in 3 threads (possibly 4?), including this one. Since obviously he is starting to pull this discussion away from the original title and purpose  :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
http://www.cmap.illinois.gov/documents/10180/359519/2015-08-26-Chicago-traffic-among-worst-Chicago-Tribune.pdf/5338ec11-819c-4dda-a25e-a24593238775

GeekJedi

Quote from: dzlsabe on November 06, 2015, 10:14:12 PM

http://www.cmap.illinois.gov/documents/10180/359519/2015-08-26-Chicago-traffic-among-worst-Chicago-Tribune.pdf/5338ec11-819c-4dda-a25e-a24593238775

Traffic in Chicago sucks. Tell us something we don't know. Nothing there says that the "Hypotenuse" will fix anything.

Fictional...
"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

ET21

Quote from: dzlsabe on November 06, 2015, 10:14:12 PM

Your scribble isn't gonna help FYI, like everyone has been telling you in all these threads.

Clinched:

dzlsabe

Good, new ideas often face adversity. "Everyone" is apparently happy with the status quo. I am NOT.

Stratuscaster

It would be fantastic if you would start your own thread in Fictional Highways with your Hypotenuse Tollway plan instead of hijacking 4 or 5 existing threads and trying to have discussions in each of them. That pisses me off more than the flaws in your concept do.

And, while you may consider that every response to your plan is negative, then you are missing the picture. Some of us are asking questions to better understand what you are trying to do, and where you are getting your numbers from. Perhaps some of the responses might be beneficial to identify flaws or incorrect assumptions in your original plan.

You are right - it starts with a concept. But don't get pissed when you get feedback and it's not all sunshine and rainbows. Not every plan goes through on the first try.

dzlsabe

ET21

Quote from: dzlsabe on November 07, 2015, 07:43:31 PM
Done. Well started anyway.

Just as a future note, just start anything fictional in its own thread under the fictional board. That way, instead of spamming the same message over 5 different threads, where honestly it doesn't belong, it's kept in one thread where everything can be condensed.  :nod:

Clinched:

dzlsabe

Quote from: ET21 on November 07, 2015, 08:49:07 PM

Just as a future note, just start anything fictional in its own thread under the fictional board. That way, instead of spamming the same message over 5 different threads, where honestly it doesn't belong, it's kept in one thread where everything can be condensed.  :nod:
This does affect real plans like "I-290 rebuild/expansion feedback" in a very profound way. And it affects the others as well.

GeekJedi

Quote from: dzlsabe on November 07, 2015, 11:38:23 PM

This does affect real plans like "I-290 rebuild/expansion feedback" in a very profound way. And it affects the others as well.

No it doesn't, other than affecting your apparent need to be right.

dzlsabe

Quote from: GeekJedi on November 08, 2015, 12:12:36 AM

If I die tomorrow, the concept/project will STILL be worthy of more scrutiny, so NO its not about me.

GeekJedi

Except that you're insistence that it's right doesn't make it so.

ET21

Quote from: dzlsabe on November 08, 2015, 12:27:48 AM
Quote from: GeekJedi on November 08, 2015, 12:12:36 AM

If I die tomorrow, the concept/project will STILL be right, so NO its not about me.

No, that does sound like it's about you. Obviously by your age you still have some growing up to do.

Clinched:

dzlsabe

Today, there are FOUR Interstate highways that feed the Strangler (Is 290, N & S 294, 88), then Mannheim (US 12, 20 & 45) adds and the Ike(ONE) becomes the mess it usually is. The Ryan (Is 94, 57, 90, 55) also has FOUR Is feeding it (into ONE) and they ALL meet up at Byrnecircle, now undergoing a long needed upgrade. If there were a way to give all EIGHT (most usually very congested) Is another option,(therefore TWO ways like the 16-mile Hypotenuse) connecting the bottlenecked Strangler and the Skyway, instead of the ONE way as it basically is now? Wouldnt that be a good (no GREAT) thing? Id think most roadgeeks would be all over it.

I just dont see anymore widening or bypassing as the answer. Weve been trying that for FIFTY+ years, and its not working. Im tired of "Groundhog" day, month, decade, half-century. Tired of seeing other places get funding for virtually anything, while we get our lunch eaten. Tired of Chicago being the "poster child" and media whipping-boy of poverty, gun violence, decades of fiscal ineptitude. Some think more austerity or doing nothing or "just move" is the answer.

I dont. If you think theres other, better ideas out there, bring em' on....Im all eyes.

BTW new thread started in fictional.

ET21

Quote from: dzlsabe on November 08, 2015, 12:24:57 PM

BTW new thread started in fictional.

Lead by example then, start posting this in that thread and not here :nod:

Clinched:

dzlsabe

I know you wish you could wind back the clock to the "good ole days" of #19 on 9 Oct. And certainly the "rebuild/expansion feedback" was more than your two year old thread anticipated. But really, how would any widening or anything be accomplished without turning the Ike into MORE of the daily mess it already is? Any lane closures would make it a parking lot.

ET21

Quote from: dzlsabe on November 08, 2015, 02:07:27 PM
I know you wish you could wind back the clock to the "good ole days" of #19 on 9 Oct. And certainly the "rebuild/expansion feedback" was more than your two year old thread anticipated.

That has nothing to do with my previous comment, but ok  :rolleyes:

Clinched:

dzlsabe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.