News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

What's the name/number of that little freeway that connects I-88 to I-294?

Started by bugo, December 12, 2014, 03:31:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: PColumbus73 on December 25, 2014, 04:38:11 PM
Quote from: CtrlAltDel on December 25, 2014, 03:34:36 AM
Quote from: PColumbus73 on December 25, 2014, 03:14:00 AM
They are a set of ramps, the only reason they are being misconstrued as a freeway is the fact they are two lanes wide each.

That, and because they're a mile or so long.

The ramps from I-295 to I-95 north of Richmond are about a mile long

Good point. They get misconstrued as a freeway because they are two lanes wide each, becasue they have their own exit, because they are a mile or so long, and because they veer a fair distance away from the routes that they connect.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

vtk

Quote from: PColumbus73 on December 25, 2014, 03:14:00 AM
They are a set of ramps, the only reason they are being misconstrued as a freeway is the fact they are two lanes wide each.

There is a stretch of the ramps roughly a mile long where they follow a common alignment.  Within that stretch, the cross-section of roadway and grading design across the two ramps is indistinguishable from that of a freeway or expressway mainline.  Ordinary ramps don't usually pair up so neatly. 
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

ajlynch91

I happened to drive on this "freeway" a couple days ago and noted that, at least in the southbound direction, was signed as I-294, without even a "TO" over it.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

ET21

Quote from: ajlynch91 on January 22, 2015, 01:24:52 PM
I happened to drive on this "freeway" a couple days ago and noted that, at least in the southbound direction, was signed as I-294, without even a "TO" over it.

Southbound direction? If you're talking about the I-294 shield sign on the side on the ramp from EB I-88 to South I-294, that originally had a TO on the top. Some reason they decided to put South on top of it but never signed the other side along the lines of West I-88. Don't know why that sign is still there to this day.
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Stratuscaster

Same thing on the stub ramp to I-88 from Downers Dr/Butterfield Rd in Downers Grove. Signed as "WEST I-88". I seem to recall there was a "TO" on that a long time ago as well...like at least 2 decades ago.

PurdueBill

A set of ramps acting as a freeway with its own number is seen in Warrensville Heights and neighboring cities.  ODOT numbers it as I-480N, which according to the SLD (PDF) is 1.99 miles long.  Its own interchange with Miles Road helps bolster its pseudo-promotion.

Postmiles (white ones on bridges and green ones on BGS supports including those on Miles Rd.) and the 2/10 mile markers are the only place 480N is let out.  Otherwise it's signed as if it were a long ramp.  (It's been a while since 480N came up from what I can tell.)

I-90

it's just a set of ramps connecting I-88 and I-294 with a ramp to York road

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.