News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Australia trip notes

Started by Alps, November 27, 2013, 12:16:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

(1st of 3 pages - more to follow another day - sleep for now)
* The famous "black signs" of Australia are no more black than original NJ Turnpike signs. They're just painted polyurethane dark green. I have photos that clearly prove this fact, where some of the sign blades have faded in the sun.
* There are no more F6 remnants on the M1 around Sydney. Not sure there are any F-system remnants left at all, anywhere. Unless you count coverplates.
* The complete route described by A6 across Queensland, A2, NT 66, and National 87 is more boring than I-80 across Nebraska. You go maybe 40 minutes, hit a two-shanty town, then another 50 minutes, or maybe it's 2 hours, and maybe all you get next time is a pullout with a trash can. All the time, it's just scrubby grass. Yes, this is the Outback, I'm well aware. It's really not worth the trip. Now I know.

US 41

Does Australia drive on the left or right side of the road?
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

hotdogPi

Quote from: US 41 on March 11, 2014, 02:24:55 PM
Does Australia drive on the left or right side of the road?

I believe they drive on the left.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

jeffandnicole

Which way does the toilet water swirl?

Alps

Heh, this reminds me my trip notes petered out. Yeah, don't even know where they drifted off to. Um, toilets don't swirl there, they flush straight down. I also noticed this morning that my shower was draining clockwise. Coriolis can suck it.

US 41

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 11, 2014, 03:03:42 PM

The opposite way it swirls in the USA. It think our toilet water spins clockwise and theirs counter clockwise.

hotdogPi

Quote from: US 41 on March 11, 2014, 09:25:45 PM

The opposite way it swirls in the USA. It think our toilet water spins clockwise and theirs counter clockwise.

Click on the link in the previous post.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

US 41

Quote from: 1 on March 11, 2014, 09:32:07 PM
Quote from: US 41 on March 11, 2014, 09:25:45 PM

Click on the link in the previous post.

WOW! A myth I had believed in all of my life.

national highway 1

Quote from: Alps on November 27, 2013, 12:16:13 AM
(1st of 3 pages - more to follow another day - sleep for now)
* There are no more F6 remnants on the M1 around Sydney. Not sure there are any F-system remnants left at all, anywhere. Unless you count coverplates.
This is the ideal thread for me since I am from Sydney and I have a first-hand experience with Australian roads.
Since March 2013, New South Wales has been making the switch from the traditional shielded system (National Highways, National Routes, State Routes, Tourist Drives and Sydney Metroads) to the new British-inspired, unified-national-approach Alpha-Numeric route marking scheme.
Here is the official page from NSW Roads and Maritime Services about the new marking scheme:
http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roadprojects/projects/alpha_numeric/
A few of the new routes have been documented on the Australian roadgeek site Ozroads as well as Expressway by Paul Rands.
http://www.ozroads.com.au/NSW/RouteNumbering/alpha/alphas.htm
http://expressway.paulrands.com/gallery/roads/nsw/numbered/alphanumeric/index.html
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.