News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Funniest street names

Started by J Route Z, September 15, 2014, 12:56:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

freebrickproductions

It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

bing101

jakeroot

Quote from: freebrickproductions on November 04, 2017, 04:27:13 PM
Quote from: JasonOfORoads on November 04, 2017, 02:05:42 PM
Bodacious Dr. in Silverton, OR: https://goo.gl/maps/HU7VN4KAuyA2

That sign sure ain't bodacious though! X-(

Seems okay to me. I like the big border, although I wish the text were mixed-case.

Desert Man

I propose the city of Indio CA to rename Faye street (Avenue 44 tract) to "Gay street", which will be a hit in grabbing some LGBT tourism Palm Springs gets.
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

jakeroot

Quote from: Desert Man on November 05, 2017, 03:42:33 PM
I propose the city of Indio CA to rename Faye street (Avenue 44 tract) to "Gay street", which will be a hit in grabbing some LGBT tourism Palm Springs gets.

Seems kind of blunt. Not much different than "Lesbian Street" or "Transsexual Way".

Desert Man

Quote from: jakeroot on November 05, 2017, 04:55:45 PM

Seems kind of blunt. Not much different than "Lesbian Street" or "Transsexual Way".

(shrugs)...I know a Jewel Street in Indio CA - alter the name into "Jews" street. xD And Indio Boulevard (the old US 99) in Spanish means "Indian" - should it be called "Native American" boulevard? Same issue with Indian Avenue and Indian Canyon Drive in Palm springs. Sky Blue Water Trail in Cathedral city - how about Black Man Water Trail? How unPC is this.
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Desert Man on November 05, 2017, 05:44:35 PM

(shrugs)...I know a Jewel Street in Indio CA - alter the name into "Jews" street. xD And Indio Boulevard (the old US 99) in Spanish means "Indian" - should it be called "Native American" boulevard? Same issue with Indian Avenue and Indian Canyon Drive in Palm springs. Sky Blue Water in Cathedral city - how about Sky Black Water? How unPC is this.

Nothing wrong with Indian anything – we're not renaming Indiana.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Desert Man

Imagine a road with two 2s : 22 - I know there are thousands of 22nd Avenues, Streets or Routes 22 (like the Garden Grove freeway in Orange county), a 22nd Avenue north of Palm Springs should be good luck - except the San Andreas Fault crosses between I-10 and the infamous town of Desert Hot Springs CA. (and on page 22 of this thread)  :bigass:

jakeroot

(shrugs)...I know a Jewel Street in Indio CA - alter the name into "Jews" street. xD And Indio Boulevard (the old US 99) in Spanish means "Indian" - should it be called "Native American" boulevard? Same issue with Indian Avenue and Indian Canyon Drive in Palm springs. Sky Blue Water Trail in Cathedral city - how about Black Man Water Trail? How unPC is this.

My problem is not that it's un-PC. It's just thoughtless. If you're going to include everyone that's "out of the closest", use something like "Pride Way". Although, that isn't particularly good either. There's a reason no city in America has named a road something LGBTQ-related. It's not easy without sounding condescending. The best thing we can do is to not call attention to the matter, and just not rename any streets at all.

The only thing you really could do would be to name a road after a leader in the LGBTQ-movement. Maybe "Bayard Rustin Way", after the openly-gay organiser of the March on Washington, and adviser to MLK? He seems to have led a pretty productive life.

By the way, seeing as this is both fictional, and posted in the "Funniest street names" thread, I apologise if you meant it as a joke, and it went over my head.

jbnv

Quote from: jakeroot on November 05, 2017, 07:41:29 PM
The best thing we can do is to not call attention to the matter, and just not rename any streets at all.

Don't ask, don't tell.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

jakeroot

Quote from: jbnv on November 05, 2017, 07:48:11 PM
The best thing we can do is to not call attention to the matter, and just not rename any streets at all.

Don't ask, don't tell.

I think we're getting too political here.

If the LGBTQ community wants to call attention to themselves by asking for this or that to be renamed or painted, that's fine. But the city shouldn't be deciding these things on their own.

TR69

This recent thread of conversation is probably getting to the point where it should be a new topic, but I'll just quickly mention that there is a Harvey Milk Street in San Diego and a Harvey Milk Boulevard in Salt Lake City.

adventurernumber1

My problem is not that it's un-PC. It's just thoughtless. If you're going to include everyone that's "out of the closest", use something like "Pride Way". Although, that isn't particularly good either. There's a reason no city in America has named a road something LGBTQ-related. It's not easy without sounding condescending. The best thing we can do is to not call attention to the matter, and just not rename any streets at all.

The only thing you really could do would be to name a road after a leader in the LGBTQ-movement. Maybe "Bayard Rustin Way", after the openly-gay organiser of the March on Washington, and adviser to MLK? He seems to have led a pretty productive life.

By the way, seeing as this is both fictional, and posted in the "Funniest street names" thread, I apologise if you meant it as a joke, and it went over my head.

I will say that it probably would indeed be a little awkward to name a street after any sexual orientation itself. However, regarding this, a street could always, like you said, be named after a prominent leader in the LGBTQ Movement. Also, I know that there are already actually some streets that use rainbow-painted crosswalks and such on them - I think I know for a fact that this is done some in downtown Atlanta.

Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

theline

Quote from: bing101 on November 04, 2017, 07:04:01 PM
https://www.mapquest.com/us/ca/sacramento/95834-2904/3600-n-freeway-blvd-38.639413,-121.497736

Yes in Sacramento, CA there is a street called Freeway blvd.

That made me think of South Bend's Tollview Dr.: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.7176657,-86.2140037,18z?hl=en&authuser=0

I couldn't imagine why the subdivision developer thought that the name would sound attractive to buyers. A view of the Toll Road doesn't entice me.

bzakharin

https://www.mapquest.com/us/ca/sacramento/95834-2904/3600-n-freeway-blvd-38.639413,-121.497736

In East Orange, NJ the frontage roads for I-280 are known as Freeway Drive East and Freeway Drive West. There is also a Freeway Avenue in Hackettstown with no freeways anywhere near there:
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8271014,-74.8426067,17z/data=!5m1!1e1

Desert Man

The CW teen drama Hidden Palms takes place in Palm Desert CA, and 1/2 mile south of Palm Desert high school (where I attended in the 1990s-class of 98 here), the private gated community of Hidden Palms - the entrance is appropriately named Hidden Palms Drive.

kphoger

Quote from: Desert Man on November 06, 2017, 05:38:52 PM
The CW teen drama Hidden Palms takes place in Palm Desert CA, and 1/2 mile south of Palm Desert high school (where I attended in the 1990s-class of 98 here), the private gated community of Hidden Palms - the entrance is appropriately named Hidden Palms Drive.

So... Hidden Palms Drive leads to Hidden Palms?  How is this funny?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jakeroot

I think that's more of an "interesting" funny, instead of a "ha-ha" funny (eg most things posted thus far).

Desert Man

Quote from: kphoger on November 07, 2017, 02:15:18 PM

cus "that's not real, it's only a TV show" funny? I call this a fun, interesting = "funteresting" fact.

Avenue 69 towards the Salton Sea? Get it? LOL! I hope this one cracks up ROFLMAO!

kphoger

Quote from: Desert Man on November 08, 2017, 12:00:47 PM
Quote from: kphoger on November 07, 2017, 02:15:18 PM

cus "that's not real, it's only a TV show" funny? I call this a fun, interesting = "funteresting" fact.

Avenue 69 towards the Salton Sea? Get it? LOL! I hope this one cracks up ROFLMAO!

OK, I misread it.  I thought Hidden Palms was the real-life name of the community.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jbnv

Quote from: bzakharin on November 06, 2017, 04:07:53 PM

In East Orange, NJ the frontage roads for I-280 are known as Freeway Drive East and Freeway Drive West. There is also a Freeway Avenue in Hackettstown with no freeways anywhere near there:
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8271014,-74.8426067,17z/data=!5m1!1e1

Baton Rouge has an "Interline" road that is... wait for it... a frontage road for the interstate and Airline Highway.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

kphoger

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on November 05, 2017, 09:17:02 PM
I will say that it probably would indeed be a little awkward to name a street after any sexual orientation itself.

Oh, Germany...
Male pronouns, please.

Big John

^^ Translates to crosswise or transverse Street

kphoger

Quote from: kphoger on November 08, 2017, 03:22:33 PM
Quote from: adventurernumber1 on November 05, 2017, 09:17:02 PM
I will say that it probably would indeed be a little awkward to name a street after any sexual orientation itself.

Oh, Germany...

Quote from: Big John on November 08, 2017, 03:48:27 PM
^^ Translates to crosswise or transverse Street

No, that would be Querstraße.  Of course, it might be spelled wrong on Google.  It's hard to know for sure; the Michelin map leaves that street unnamed.
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.