News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Unbuilt Highway of Connecticut

Started by AcE_Wolf_287, March 25, 2020, 04:04:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on September 03, 2020, 05:27:50 AM
That CT 10 line...I know it was supposed to duplex with I-84 between Exits 29-33 (future 41-49A), but the line you drew would pass within half a block of my house and right through a church complex.  It would pretty much destroy the linear trail I walk on every day :bigass:
He said "carefully," what else do you want?

kernals12

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on September 03, 2020, 05:27:50 AM
That CT 10 line...I know it was supposed to duplex with I-84 between Exits 29-33 (future 41-49A), but the line you drew would pass within half a block of my house and right through a church complex.  It would pretty much destroy the linear trail I walk on every day :bigass:

Sorry about that, I fixed it. Your house is safe :sombrero:

kernals12

Would it have been possible for 291 to traverse the Hartford Reservoirs without poisoning the water?

SectorZ

Quote from: kernals12 on September 03, 2020, 10:25:30 AM
Would it have been possible for 291 to traverse the Hartford Reservoirs without poisoning the water?

They managed to build I-190 north of Worcester MA close to the Wachusett Reservoir, with those super-wide breakdown lanes in places that are allegedly there to help direct runoff better so it does not affect the reservoir.

I would imagine that if you gave 291 similar wide berths from the reservoirs, the same could be possible.

kernals12

Quote from: SectorZ on September 03, 2020, 12:05:09 PM

They managed to build I-190 north of Worcester MA close to the Wachusett Reservoir, with those super-wide breakdown lanes in places that are allegedly there to help direct runoff better so it does not affect the reservoir.

I would imagine that if you gave 291 similar wide berths from the reservoirs, the same could be possible.

So why didn't they just do that (same goes for the extension of I-84 to Providence)?

DJStephens

Wealth and Lawyers.  Connecticut is the richest state, per capita, in the country.  Even back then, late sixties, the average individual in Conn. had more at their disposal than an average individual elsewhere.   Inherited wealth, legal connections, etc.  The 291 beltway was to pass through some of Hartford's toniest suburbs.   
    They did build a lot in the mid to late sixties.  Assume if they had started, even just a few years earlier, Conn. would have gotten just about everything they had programmed done.  They might have then, had the problem southern Calif had, perhaps the funding would have run dry.   

kernals12

Check out this 1964 publication by the Regional Planning Association showing highways in planning at the time throughout the tri-state area, many of which were never built
https://rpa.org/uploads/pdfs/73-74_RegionalPlanNews.pdf

DJStephens

Quote from: kernals12 on September 03, 2020, 12:39:35 PM
Quote from: SectorZ on September 03, 2020, 12:05:09 PM

So why didn't they just do that (same goes for the extension of I-84 to Providence)?

Would guess just not enough political will.  A resident of a bucolic suburb in eastern Conn. will likely not lobby their congressman for a better road to Hartford, or Providence.  That same congressman will not bring the issue up, for fear of angering wealthy constituents.  There may never have been that much demand for such a road in terms of hypothetical trips.   Although agree the Suicide Six portion should have been bypassed, meaning connecting the I-384 section (Bolton Notch) and the Willimantic Bypass. 

kurumi

Quote from: kernals12 on September 09, 2020, 09:10:30 PM
Check out this 1964 publication by the Regional Planning Association showing highways in planning at the time throughout the tri-state area, many of which were never built
https://rpa.org/uploads/pdfs/73-74_RegionalPlanNews.pdf

I found some others of interest:

1929 plan: https://rpa.org/uploads/pdfs/RPA-Plan1-v1-Regional-Plan-of-New-York-and-Its-Environs.pdf

1941 bulletin, including a NYC beltway and some proposed radial routes; nice maps: https://rpa.org/uploads/pdfs/1941_RPABulletin57.pdf

1941: parks and parkway progress (including some proposed but never built): https://rpa.org/uploads/pdfs/1941_RPABulletin56.pdf

1975, CT (7, 8, 25, 34): https://rpa.org/uploads/pdfs/96_RegionalPlanNews.pdf. And look at this -- 4-level stack at 8/15:

My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

DJStephens

Interesting the 1974 publication urged the completion of Route 25, and extension of 34, but turned its thumb down on US 7.   Just a few short years before the beginning of the run up of real estate valuations.   

DJ Particle

I still remember in 1981 on the Merritt the bridge for old CT-8 still standing with no road on either side of it.  My 9-year-old roadgeek brain thought that was weird.

CapeCodder

What was CT 34 supposed to be? It has a large interchange with 84.

kernals12

Quote from: CapeCodder on September 11, 2020, 07:25:23 AM
In their most ambitious plans, it was going to Ridgefield and then continue as NY 35 to Peekskill.

RobbieL2415

Anyone have the 1970 CONNDOT Joint Transportation Study?

kurumi

The CT 34 interchange (I-84 exit 11) was planned as the northern terminus of CT 25. (CT 34 happens to be the closest major road to the stub interchange right now.)
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

relaxok

Quote from: kurumi on September 11, 2020, 12:52:17 PM

The CT 34 interchange (I-84 exit 11) was planned as the northern terminus of CT 25. (CT 34 happens to be the closest major road to the stub interchange right now.)

Do you have any information on where the unbuilt Watertown highway would've been?  I didn't see anything in the pamphlet scan.

kernals12

I think what makes Connecticut unique is the large number of partially completed freeways as opposed to completely unbuilt ones.

AcE_Wolf_287

Quote from: kernals12 on September 24, 2020, 07:18:28 PM
I think what makes Connecticut unique is the large number of partially completed freeways as opposed to completely unbuilt ones.

yea i do believe CT has the most abandoned or unbuilt freeways in the US

Alps

Quote from: AcE_Wolf_287 on September 24, 2020, 08:23:04 PM

DC has more per square mile but probably less total.

RobbieL2415

Quote from: Alps on September 25, 2020, 12:28:19 AM

DC has more per square mile but probably less total.

It's either us or NJ.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.