More US 31 upgrades between Indy and South Bend

Started by monty, July 12, 2019, 04:23:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tdindy88

Quote from: ITB on March 30, 2024, 04:26:03 PMYes, that seems to be the favored path forward. Only three interchanges are needed — 296th Street in Hamilton County and Division Road and CR 550 N (Sharpsville) in Tipton County. 

I don't see how 296th could be an interchange if we have 276th just two miles to the south. Wasn't there some thing with there being a four mile gap between exits or something? I would have had exits at 266th and 296th but we had to have a connection to some factories along 276th so I see that exit as serving both 266th and 296th Streets. Probably an overpass for that road.

As for CR 550 N, isn't that like right by the interchange with SR 931. I'm not sure how that would work and is access to Sharpsville that important? They can pretty easily get to US 31 heading north toward SR 26 or south toward Division Road.

That said, there's really only Division Road that should be a shoo-in for an interchange. Which is what's been discussed for a few years now. I feel that INDOT is doing this study just so they can stall for time a bit until they do the inevitable and build an exit there.

Beyond that, build overpasses and cul-de-sacs for the remaining roads. Make US 31 a freeway from I-465 to Kokomo, that should be a no-brainer at this point.

As for north of Kokomo, well, I'm open to more discussion on how that should be done going forward so I can understand studying that.

Moose

Any upgrade that isn't full interstate standards, or at least useful in getting the road to full interstate standards is a waste to me. That goes for US 30 and US 31 both.

No stupid J turns, low conflict intersections or any of this crap..

I really didn't realize it until the 69 upgrade.. how much better it makes the drive.
The deletion of all the access for the "hyperlocal" traffic has a dramatic effect of the quality of the drive for through traffic.

These the cars, farm trucks, and annoying things that turn onto the through road, drive slow, get in the way only go a few miles, and then turn off.. often needing to get into the left lane while being slow as a turtle because of an impending left turn.

Its amazing how much better of a drive the road is once its fully interstate standards.. even without extra lanes.

ITB

Quote from: tdindy88 on March 30, 2024, 05:38:51 PM
Quote from: ITB on March 30, 2024, 04:26:03 PMYes, that seems to be the favored path forward. Only three interchanges are needed — 296th Street in Hamilton County and Division Road and CR 550 N (Sharpsville) in Tipton County. 

I don't see how 296th could be an interchange if we have 276th just two miles to the south. Wasn't there some thing with there being a four mile gap between exits or something? I would have had exits at 266th and 296th but we had to have a connection to some factories along 276th so I see that exit as serving both 266th and 296th Streets. Probably an overpass for that road.

As for CR 550 N, isn't that like right by the interchange with SR 931. I'm not sure how that would work and is access to Sharpsville that important? They can pretty easily get to US 31 heading north toward SR 26 or south toward Division Road.

Good points. The suggested interchange alternatives at 296th Street and CR 550 N (Sharpesville) are indeed close to already built interchanges. Very close.

It was noted in one of the Level Two studies that INDOT prefers having three miles between rural interchanges, but there can be exceptions. The key word seems to be "rural." At this time, the area around 276th and 296th streets is indeed rural. But will that be the case 10 or 15 years from now. Every year for the past several years, more than 2,000 new homes have been built in Hamilton County. The pace is showing no signs whatsoever of slowing. In 2023, the county issued 2,719 permits for new single family homes. And so far this year, for January and February, 474 permits have been issued. Not every permit issued equates to a housing start, but the percentage is around 97.5%. In 2022 and 2021, the numbers were 2,378 and 3,344, respectively.

Development is bound to push northward up the US 31 corridor. As the LEAP Innovation District is built out, pressure to build more homes in Hamilton will only increase. It could be argued that it makes sense to build an interchange at 296th Street because, in the not too distant future, the area might be transitioning to suburban.

For 296th Street, the alternatives put forward in the Level Two study are:
• reduced conflict intersection
• traditional interchange
• access modifications (close off intersection)

Note that an overpass alternative is not included. Given the alternatives, I don't see INDOT moving forward with an RCI. That leaves an interchange or closing the intersection. Yes, it is certainly possible the intersection will be recommended for closure. And, yet, 296th Street is a significant up-county arterial, so INDOT might be inclined to do the interchange.

As for CR 550 N in Tipton County, it's a difficult decision. For one, Tipton County needs an interchange in the north area of the county. It's only fair, for both the people who live up that way, and for county, which deserves a north county interchange. If not CR 550 N, where else can an interchange be placed? 300N? 450N? A solution would be to simply shift the interchange to the south, closer to 450N.

The alternatives moved forward for CR 550 N are:
• reduced conflict intersection
• access modification (right-in, right-out)
• traditional interchange w/roundabouts

It's doubtful a RCI will move forward as residents of Tipton County previously rejected the concept. RIRO? That's not an ideal situation, too, as drivers will be forced to travel to an interchange, either south or north, to go the other direction not allowed by RIRO. That leaves the interchange alternative. It's more workable if the interchange is moved to the south. Why the study didn't address that is puzzling. Good chance INDOT will move in that direction.

Another reason for a north Tipton County interchange is mobility. It's important to take into account how school buses, emergency vehicles, and farm vehicles will travel around. Essentially, without an overpass or interchange, the northern part of Tipton County will be divided in two. Is a north county interchange truly needed? I would say, yes, and the residents of the area will likely wholeheartedly agree.

And for those interested in the housing permit statistics, they can be found on the website of the Builders Association of Greater Indianapolis (BAGI) under the Market Info tab.

monty

"It's doubtful a RCI will move forward as residents of Tipton County previously rejected the concept. RIRO? That's not an ideal situation, too, as drivers will be forced to travel to an interchange, either south or north, to go the other direction not allowed by RIRO. That leaves the interchange alternative. It's more workable if the interchange is moved to the south. Why the study didn't address that is puzzling. Good chance INDOT will move in that direction."

The study does move the Sharpsville interchange option a quarter mile south by extending 525 N straight west from Sharpsville with a half mile new build extension to the new interchange. That roadway then hooks back north around the Beck's seed plant and then ends as a T intersection with 550 N. This may allow sufficient spacing to appease the split exit / merger lane with SR 931.

This would make for a perfect scenario for Sharpsville. The school, emergency services, and farmers would be well served. The "community" surrounding is primarily oriented east to west.  If there is no access to US 31, the western sector will become isolated. The SR 931 split interchange does not serve Sharpsville at all. The 600 N overpass provides some limited utility. 600 N west of the overpass bridge is a narrow rural road.

Without an interchange, the fire department or school traffic, as examples, would have to drive two miles north to cross over on 600 N or three miles north to SR 26 to access the highway. The third option to travel westward in the community would be to go five miles south to Division Road.

Traditionally, 450 N has been the primary east - west route corridor to cross US 31 and then jog up to 525 N on 550 W to travel into Sharpsville. My suggestion to the Propel Study was to interchange at 450 N. I like the 525 N extension and resultant interchange but suggest the western local connector ties into 450 N to provide better connectivity.

monty

silverback1065

INDOT should take over Division Road from 31 to 19 sign it as 28 and add an interchange at 31 and division.

ITB

Quote from: monty on March 30, 2024, 08:40:36 PMThe study does move the Sharpsville interchange option a quarter mile south by extending 525 N straight west from Sharpsville with a half mile new build extension to the new interchange. That roadway then hooks back north around the Beck's seed plant and then ends as a T intersection with 550 N. This may allow sufficient spacing to appease the split exit / merger lane with SR 931.

Thanks for pointing out the suggested Sharpsville interchange alternative would be located at 525 N. I had missed that. In comparison to 550 N, the 525 N location seems more logical. For one, 525 N connects directly to the town of Atlanta. Of more significance, perhaps, there would be fewer business and residential relocations, if any at all, when building near 525 N. That's not the case at either 550 N or 450 N. Since the interchange would be near to the SR 931 interchange, it's possible, maybe even likely, the design would feature collector/distributor lanes.

I did take note of the mention that the specific location of the selected alternative would be determined after the Propel study has completed. That makes sense as the Propel study's purpose is to recommend what alternative, if any, should be built. As such, the 450 N location, perhaps shifted a bit to the north, might later be given serious consideration.

As some of you already know, later this year in November, a major contract to improve the US 31 corridor in Hamilton County is scheduled to be let. Originally, the letting of this contract was to take place in May but was pushed back. Most of the planned work will take place in Hamilton, but included as well, is a project to modify the SR 28 intersection in Tipton County. Here's what the contact entails:

• new bridge construction, 226th Street over US 31
• access control, US 31, from .46 mile North of State Route 38 to .6 mile south of 236th Street
• access control, from 3.0 miles N of SR 38 to SR 931
• new bridge construction, 266th Street over US 31
• interchange modification, SR 28 and US 31
• access control, from US 31 and 106 to SR 26
• surface treatment, ultrathin bonded wearing course, from I-465 N Junction to 0.71 mi N of SR 38

Each of the bulleted points are separate projects contained in the contract (B-42397) and are taken nearly verbatim from INDOT's 18-month letting list. At this time, contract documents are not yet available online, so it's not possible to determine to any specificity what each project entails. While it's clear two overpasses will be constructed, the scope of the "access control" projects seem more nebulous.  When the documents become available we'll have a better understanding of what will take place.

For those interested, here's a link to INDOT's 18-Month Construction Letting List, updated March 15, 2024. The projects included in Contract B-42397 are found on pages 117 and 118. The specific date of the letting is November 14, 2024.

cjw2001

I'm assuming the access control may be the promised installation of median cable barriers?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.