News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Sign Collecting

Started by Max Rockatansky, July 12, 2016, 11:54:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MNHighwayMan

I have finally done it. I have finally acquired a shield from each of the states MSR 200 passes through!

The final component: an Idaho 200 shield, in scenic brown!

US71

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on February 03, 2020, 03:55:12 PM
I have finally done it. I have finally acquired a shield from each of the states MSR 200 passes through!

The final component: an Idaho 200 shield, in scenic brown!

You find that on e-bay?
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: US71 on February 03, 2020, 04:13:19 PM
You find that on e-bay?

Yes, it is the one that was on eBay for a while. :)

I only finally bought it because the seller added the best offer feature to his listing, and he accepted mine. The original list price was just too much for me.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on February 03, 2020, 04:46:01 PM
Quote from: US71 on February 03, 2020, 04:13:19 PM
You find that on e-bay?

Yes, it is the one that was on eBay for a while. :)

I only finally bought it because the seller added the best offer feature to his listing, and he accepted mine.

Yeah his initial price was too high, had my eyes on that one but really the one I want is MT 200.  That's a cool set with all the 200s. 

Lancaster6

Snagged these off facebook marketplace recently

Max Rockatansky

That colored US 1 uni-shield is especially nice. 

Lancaster6

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 08, 2020, 12:16:21 PM
That colored US 1 uni-shield is especially nice.

That shield was the real honey of this score. Couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the listing.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: Lancaster6 on February 08, 2020, 12:14:51 PM

Shit, I need to start checking my local Facebook Marketplace, if I can find awesome stuff like that. :-D

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on February 10, 2020, 04:44:12 AM
Quote from: Lancaster6 on February 08, 2020, 12:14:51 PM

Shit, I need to start checking my local Facebook Marketplace, if I can find awesome stuff like that. :-D

I had a look with my normal search criteria, it didn't yield much beyond novelty signs. 

Max Rockatansky

Picked up a CA 52 shield:

Untitled by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

ClassicHasClass

Nice. I remember when that was just a stub highway, practically.

US71

I just added this to my collection.  I have my eye on a couple more things, but need to see how my money goes.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: ClassicHasClass on February 17, 2020, 12:31:48 AM

I kind of wish I held out for the button copy 52 since the seller dropped it to $200.  If goes down to $150 that would be more in my territory but now I don't need the duplicate shield.  Right now I have my eyes on the County Route G17 shield but it still hasn't come out of the absurd asking price territory. 

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: ClassicHasClass on February 17, 2020, 12:31:48 AM

I kind of wish I held out for the button copy 52 since the seller dropped it to $200.  If goes down to $150 that would be more in my territory but now I don't need the duplicate shield.  Right now I have my eyes on the County Route G17 shield but it still hasn't come out of the absurd asking price territory. 

US71

Latest addition to my collection:

kevinb1994

Quote from: US71 on February 24, 2020, 01:00:57 PM
Latest addition to my collection:

Highway to the Danger Curve

US71

Added this today. 30 inches diameter, steel, raised edge. Very good condition.

Max Rockatansky

Picked up this sign on the cheap, apparently it is from somewhere in Lake Buena Vista.  I wanted for the FL 535 shield since I did an article once on the Vineland ghost town:

Max Rockatansky

Picked up a 1962 era US Route 99E sign from Oregon.  This one is a beast at 36x45 inches:

Also picked up a Jake Bear porcelain replica US 99 ACSC shield:

Flint1979

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2019, 11:07:04 PM
Snagged an M-22 shield.  I got a pristine one a couple years back but gave it to my brother-in-law as a gift considering he has a cabin right off the highway:

I know it's more of a scenic route than anything but I never got the fascination with M-22. Now they are making M-22 signs without the M on it.

US71

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 21, 2020, 10:46:18 PM
Picked up a 1962 era US Route 99E sign from Oregon.  This one is a beast at 36x45 inches:

I think I saw that 99E on e-bay. Nice find.

Max Rockatansky

^^^

Yes, the US 99E was one of Jake's signs he was selling.  I had to have it once I saw he was putting it up for sale, scored a deal on one of his replica signs in the process.

Regarding M-22 while it is a desirable highway for collectors given it's scenic value, for me it is more about it being a place where my family has roots.  Granted those roots are scenic and on Lake Michigan...

Flint1979

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 21, 2020, 11:25:38 PM
^^^

Yes, the US 99E was one of Jake's signs he was selling.  I had to have it once I saw he was putting it up for sale, scored a deal on one of his replica signs in the process.

Regarding M-22 while it is a desirable highway for collectors given it's scenic value, for me it is more about it being a place where my family has roots.  Granted those roots are scenic and on Lake Michigan...
Honestly I would take M-119 over it. The tunnel of trees is pretty cool. But M-22 is nice too. Best part of Michigan imo.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Flint1979 on March 22, 2020, 08:08:22 PM
^^^

Honestly I would take M-119 over it. The tunnel of trees is pretty cool. But M-22 is nice too. Best part of Michigan imo.

Personally I'm an M-26 fan.  That drive along Lake Superior is pretty awesome and it's hard to beat all those historic mining towns. 

Flint1979

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 22, 2020, 08:30:57 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on March 22, 2020, 08:08:22 PM
^^^

Personally I'm an M-26 fan.  That drive along Lake Superior is pretty awesome and it's hard to beat all those historic mining towns.
That's a solid one as well. I love Michigan's small towns, there is a great collection of them. After my last visit to Detroit I realized how I've had enough of the big cities. M-25 can be pretty along Lake Huron but it's not an overly popular route.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.