News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Road Trips You Want To Go On At Least Once In Your Life

Started by US 41, September 08, 2014, 04:14:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US 41

Quote from: Rothman on September 18, 2015, 02:53:47 PM
Quote from: US 41 on September 18, 2015, 12:15:58 AM
My newest goal is to drive through 49 US states, 10 Canadian Provinces, 2 Canadian territories, and 31 Mexican states. (Hawaii, Nunavut, and any other US territory is not on my list. If a road is ever built to Nunavut then it will be on my to do list.)

Hawaii is a state, not a territory. :ded:

Give me some credit here. I'm not that stupid. I know Hawaii is a state. I'm just saying I will probably never visit Hawaii since I can't drive there as I hate flying. There is also no way that I'm taking a ship there either. The same is also true for US territories (like Puerto Rico, Guam, and a few others).
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

kkt

So... which of the U.S. states is it not your goal to drive through?

Mapmikey

Iceland Ring Road...spectacular scenery and easy access to several substantial waterfalls and fjords.

Since I don't fly this one may have to wait for retirement, since no cruise ship routinely goes to Iceland from the US and I haven't found any cargo ships that go there either who accept a handful of passenger fares...

So this may require cruising to England first then Iceland and doing the reverse to get back home...

Mike

US 41

Quote from: kkt on September 21, 2015, 12:05:17 PM
So... which of the U.S. states is it not your goal to drive through?

Just Hawaii. My goal is to drive to all the lower 48 plus Alaska.

I was trying to say that my goal is to drive to every North American (US, Canada, and Mexico) state / province / territory that is possible before I die. It is not possible to drive to Hawaii, Nunavut, or US territories (like Puerto Rico and Guam). And since I don't like to fly I don't ever intend on going to any of those places.

SignGeek101

I would love to see the roads in Western Europe. The coast of France and the Alps come to mind. Though, I think I'd be nervous to drive along the more narrower mountain roads  :-D

oscar

Quote from: US 41 on September 22, 2015, 09:48:18 AM
I was trying to say that my goal is to drive to every North American (US, Canada, and Mexico) state / province / territory that is possible before I die. It is not possible to drive to Hawaii, Nunavut, or US territories (like Puerto Rico and Guam). And since I don't like to fly I don't ever intend on going to any of those places.

Depending on your remaining lifespan, there's a proposed highway connection from northern Manitoba that would let you get Nunavut. Decades away at best, but be patient.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

US 41

Quote from: oscar on September 26, 2015, 12:25:39 PM
Quote from: US 41 on September 22, 2015, 09:48:18 AM

Depending on your remaining lifespan, there's a proposed highway connection from northern Manitoba that would let you get Nunavut. Decades away at best, but be patient.

Awesome!!! I hope it happens. As long as it doesn't take 60-70 years to complete it, I should still be around.

leroys73

Quote from: sipes23 on August 30, 2015, 10:54:46 PM
Quote from: leroys73 on August 30, 2015, 04:41:29 PM
I just finished a 9000 mile motorcycle trip to Alaska and Yellowknife, Northwest Territory, so that is one trip off of my list below.  Newfoundland along with Labrador is on my schedule for early to mid June 2016. 

I've heard the Trans-Labrador Highway is amazing. I'll live if I don't make that trip, but it is on my radar.

I have heard the same about the Trans-Labrador.  I have also heard a little more is paved but still very rugged.  I am sort of like you.  It is one I'd like to do but at my age,67, if I travel it, it will have to be in a 4x4 pick up not on a motorcycle.  My Newfoundland-Labrador trip will be by way of Nova Scotia and ferrys.   

I didn't get to do the Dalton this year by motorcycle but next year is pretty certain.  My cruiser is not the one for me to go on.  I'll be on a dual sport.
'73 Vette, '72 Monte Carlo, ;11 Green with Envy Challenger R/T,Ram, RoyalStarVenture S,USA Honda VTX1300R ridden 49states &11provinces,Driven cars in50 states+DC&21countries,OverseasBrats;IronButt:MileEatersilver,SS1000Gold,SS3000,3xSS2000,18xSS1000, 3TX1000,6BB1500,NPT,LakeSuperiorCircleTour

US 41

Quote from: SignGeek101 on September 26, 2015, 10:45:02 AM
I would love to see the roads in Western Europe. The coast of France and the Alps come to mind. Though, I think I'd be nervous to drive along the more narrower mountain roads  :-D

I have often thought about doing a road trip from Lisbon, Portugal to Warsaw, Poland. Unfortunately I don't know if I could do two eight hour flights again. (I've been to Madrid and Barcelona.) Flying has to be one of the most boring things to do, especially if you don't have a window seat.
-----------------------------------------------------

I'll add this to my list of roads I want to drive on (MX 24).
https://www.google.com/maps/@27.582651,-105.926841,3a,66.8y,183.08h,95.81t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sQTHaqkspEkiKl0EW5Q2K7Q!2e0

leroys73

I have often thought about doing a road trip from Lisbon, Portugal to Warsaw, Poland. Unfortunately I don't know if I could do two eight hour flights again. (I've been to Madrid and Barcelona.) Flying has to be one of the most boring things to do, especially if you don't have a window seat.

That would be an awesome trip. 

I used to fly a lot with a friend who had his own airplane (turbo with oxygen) and really enjoyed it.  But I am with you on commercial flights.  I ride a motorcycle or drive a car for 18+ hours but 8 hours on a commercial plane is pushing me to become suicidal.  :crazy:  I guess that is why they serve booz.   
'73 Vette, '72 Monte Carlo, ;11 Green with Envy Challenger R/T,Ram, RoyalStarVenture S,USA Honda VTX1300R ridden 49states &11provinces,Driven cars in50 states+DC&21countries,OverseasBrats;IronButt:MileEatersilver,SS1000Gold,SS3000,3xSS2000,18xSS1000, 3TX1000,6BB1500,NPT,LakeSuperiorCircleTour

D-Dey65

I just thought of another road I'd love to go on... NY 9D.

Katavia

The Blue Ridge Parkway. I just went on it from the VA border to Boone. There was ice and lots of scenery. (that doesn't sound interesting, does it? lol)
(Former) pizza delivery driver with a penchant for highways.
On nearly every other online platform I go by Kurzov - Katavia is a holdover from the past.

US 41

Something I would recommend to all the AARoads Members if you ever get a chance. Drive through El Paso on I-10 at night. It is one of the coolest cities to drive through at night. It sits at a higher elevation than the Mexican city of Ciudad Juarez, which is what makes the drive through El Paso so neat. You can see the whole city of Juarez lit up at night. It's really cool. I will definitely do it again at some point.

wphiii

Quote from: US 41 on November 30, 2015, 07:34:31 PM
Something I would recommend to all the AARoads Members if you ever get a chance. Drive through El Paso on I-10 at night. It is one of the coolest cities to drive through at night. It sits at a higher elevation than the Mexican city of Ciudad Juarez, which is what makes the drive through El Paso so neat. You can see the whole city of Juarez lit up at night. It's really cool. I will definitely do it again at some point.

The first time I ever came into El Paso was on I-10 from the east. I had fallen asleep shortly after Van Horn and woke up to see all those lights (and the famous star in front of me). It was definitely a surreal experience.

wanderer2575

US-83 end-to-end.  I read about it in Jamie Jensen's Road Trip USA.  He calls it "The Road to Nowhere" because it doesn't pass near any major cities or tourist attractions.  Sounds perfect to me.

A long loop of state and US highways in west Texas.  Same reason.

The single-digit US routes in the east so I can get photos of the shields.  A photo of the US-1/US-2 concurrency in Houlton ME is a must.

US 41

Quote from: wanderer2575 on December 14, 2015, 10:43:04 AM
US-83 end-to-end.  I read about it in Jamie Jensen's Road Trip USA.  He calls it "The Road to Nowhere" because it doesn't pass near any major cities or tourist attractions.  Sounds perfect to me.

A long loop of state and US highways in west Texas.  Same reason.

The single-digit US routes in the east so I can get photos of the shields.  A photo of the US-1/US-2 concurrency in Houlton ME is a must.

I'm not really crazy about tourist attractions either. Usually what I've found is that when you drive to places that most people never go to, you end up finding places that are way better than tourist attractions. Most tourist attractions seem to something that is man-made. I prefer seeing rural areas and nature. Often going to unknown places is a lot easier on the wallet too.

Most people in my area seem to always want to go to Florida. I would rather go to New Mexico any day of the week over Florida. I've been to Florida 6 times in my life and honestly 2 times was enough. I only want to go back to Florida one more time, and when I go back I am going to take US 41 across the Everglades and drive all the way to Key West. Most people in my area have never been west of St. Louis which I find very odd. I guess New Mexico is the unknown for most people. New Mexico is by far my favorite state to visit. Two times in New Mexico is not enough for me. I could visit NM 50 times and it would never get old.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.