News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Louisiana

Started by Alex, January 20, 2009, 12:43:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex

In case you did not know, Louisiana is switching from their green/white shield design to the more conventional black/white. Recent trips to the state over the last two months revealed that they are popping up all over. The first ones we saw were in Bogalusa at the junction of LA 10/23.

This particular assembly is located along U.S. 61 northbound in East Feliciana Parish. All of those ones we saw posted along U.S. 61 earlier this month featured Series B font too.

agentsteel53

Quote from: voyager on January 20, 2009, 12:44:48 AM
Cheaper printing costs I'm assuming?

a two-color print would cost the same regardless of color, so that's probably not it.  I think they're going for the better contrast.

guess using something wider than Series B numbers never occurred to them!
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Alex

Quote from: agentsteel53 on January 20, 2009, 12:49:23 AM
Quote from: voyager on January 20, 2009, 12:44:48 AM
Cheaper printing costs I'm assuming?

a two-color print would cost the same regardless of color, so that's probably not it.  I think they're going for the better contrast.

guess using something wider than Series B numbers never occurred to them!

Yes you would think they would at least go up to Series C, but noooooooo! This makes me wonder if LA-1 is in Series B somewhere...

agentsteel53

yes, on a black shield in Shreveport.  I'll have photos ... sometime

jake@aaroads.com

Darkchylde

Yeah, the Monochromes got started last year sometime. They're largely going up in areas where the signs need replacement or where there's construction going on. My guess is one of two reasons - either cost (green ink costs more?) or contrast (they do look better at night, I guess.)

As for Series B, Louisiana used to use other fonts as late as the mid 1990's, and they still use them on freeways that carry a state highway designation (I-510/LA 47 in New Orleans East, US 167/LA 28 near Alexandria as examples) or at freeway interchanges or offramps. (These are also the few times one will ever see a wide shield used for a state highway in La.) Sometimes they can even be seen as part of sign goofs as well...

...At least La. didn't decide to go to Plain White Squares/Circles...

agentsteel53

Quote from: ComputerGuy on January 20, 2009, 09:43:33 AM
WA needs new signs...I am getting tired of seeing the cutout of George Washington's head everywhere

Perhaps George Washington Carver, then?

jake@aaroads.com

US71

Quote from: agentsteel53 on January 20, 2009, 03:32:09 PM
Quote from: ComputerGuy on January 20, 2009, 09:43:33 AM
WA needs new signs...I am getting tired of seeing the cutout of George Washington's head everywhere

Perhaps George Washington Carver, then?

Wouldn't work... he's from Missouri  :)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

US71

Quote from: Darkangel on January 20, 2009, 03:40:35 AM
Yeah, the Monochromes got started last year sometime. They're largely going up in areas where the signs need replacement or where there's construction going on. My guess is one of two reasons - either cost (green ink costs more?) or contrast (they do look better at night, I guess.)

There aren't many on US 65 and only one road north of Tallulah (LA 581 at Transylvania, which still has at least 1 green sign).  What's odd is at Clayton, you have a new LA 15 shield and an old arrow:

I prefer the green signs (without that funky protrusion), but as you said, at least it's not circle signs  :eyebrow:

Alex

Quote from: US71 on January 20, 2009, 04:43:12 PM
There aren't many on US 65 and only one road north of Tallulah (LA 581 at Transylvania, which still has at least 1 green sign).  What's odd is at Clayton, you have a new LA 15 shield and an old arrow:

I prefer the green signs (without that funky protrusion), but as you said, at least it's not circle signs  :eyebrow:

I saw quite a few green shields with black/white banners and/or arrows on my recent trip to LA.

Darkchylde

Quote from: aaroads on January 20, 2009, 04:48:36 PMI saw quite a few green shields with black/white banners and/or arrows on my recent trip to LA.
That's been SOP for a few years now, even before they started going to Monochrome shields.

US71

Quote from: agentsteel53 on January 20, 2009, 12:53:50 AM

Like this?

agentsteel53

probably, yeah.  Now that I think about it, I have a hard time telling apart digit "1" in various serieses... but I definitely have taken a photo of that gantry.

jake@aaroads.com

Alex

Quote from: US71 on January 20, 2009, 09:45:35 PM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on January 20, 2009, 12:53:50 AM

Like this?

Only other place I can think of with an assembly like that is Public Square in Cleveland.

Urban Prairie Schooner

The black and white shields, according to the e-mail sent me by DOTD, are cheaper to manufacture since black coloring is less expensive than green coloring.

The unique green/white signs will surely be missed, but I do admit that the monochromes are an improvement in terms of readability.

If DOTD would only use wider fonts for the route numbers, the signs wouldn't be nearly as ridiculously ugly.  :banghead: Series B is only necessary for 4 digit routes.

agentsteel53

Quoteblack coloring is less expensive than green coloring.

well I'll be damned.  I've always gotten the same quotes on two-color shields regardless of the colors.  Apparently for higher volumes it becomes an issue.

also, what does DOTD stand for?  I refuse to believe it is Department of Transportation Department.

jake@aaroads.com

Urban Prairie Schooner

Quote from: agentsteel53 on January 21, 2009, 07:44:11 PM

also, what does DOTD stand for?  I refuse to believe it is Department of Transportation Department.

Department of Transportation and Development.

I think "development" is a reference to the other public works responsibilities the agency has. Louisiana always has to be different, y'know.

Would you believe that I live within eyeshot of their HQ here in BR?

Anthony_JK

Used to be Louisiana Department of Highways until the Dave Treen administration consolidated the government agencies around 1982 or so. Mostly, it's a overture to economic development than anything else.

Anthony

Darkchylde

Quote from: Urban Prairie Schooner on January 21, 2009, 08:18:17 PM
Would you believe that I live within eyeshot of their HQ here in BR?
Please lob a brick through one of their windows for me over all the useless 4dla's in St. Tammany, will you please? :P

cjk374

The La DOTD is even involved w/ railroads, and not just grade crossings.  Last week, we took some Louisiana politicians (or their aides) at all levels of gov't, a man from the DOTD, and a few others on a ride on my railroad that runs in Louisiana (37 miles to the Arkansas state line).  We were trying to show them that we needed some stimulus money to rebuild our track.  The DOTD had written up a plan 5 years ago addressing the needs of some of Louisiana's shortline RRs.  I didn't even know that they were that involved w/ any other mode of transport other than highways... now I know!! :spin:
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

cjk374

I hate we're going black n white instead of green n white. :no: But y'all r right... it's better than circles, squares or anything else generic. :clap:
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

UptownRoadGeek

They might as well incorporate GeauxPass into the CCC and LPC.  The article says it will be "compatible" so I'm assuming they plan on keeping the 3 seperate systems in place.  They are supposed to be completely rebuilding the CCC toll system soon so they might as well just make it all one system state-wide. 

It would be nice if CCCD and HCTRA could reach an agreement and make toll-tags from Houston and NO inter-operable.

lamsalfl

Chris

What does "geaux" actually mean? It sounds French. Is it French for "geek"?  :pan:

UptownRoadGeek

Quote from: lamsalfl on June 12, 2009, 03:15:25 AM
How about more toll roads in LA? :)

http://www.geauxpass.com
Yea, but where?
Is the proposed BR Loop supposed to be a toll?

Quote from: Chris on June 12, 2009, 05:32:04 AM
What does "geaux" actually mean? It sounds French. Is it French for "geek"?  :pan:

-eaux makes the same sound as O. So it's GoPass. Like Geaux LSU/Hornets/Vote, Club Lotteaux, etc.
GeekPass, ha ha   :-/

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.