News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Maryland

Started by Alps, May 22, 2011, 12:10:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex4897

Quote from: davewiecking on October 16, 2022, 08:12:43 PM
Quote from: ixnay on October 16, 2022, 08:02:12 PM
Quote from: MASTERNC on October 16, 2022, 06:48:30 PM
Looks like the I-95 Belivdere Road interchange is starting construction

https://www.cbsnews.com/baltimore/news/hogan-celebrates-start-of-construction-on-85-million-interchange-in-cecil-county/

If https://tinyurl.com/45z69rhe is any indication, that is going to be one heck of a weave zone between the Chesapeake House and the new interchange and vice versa.

But at least it'll benefit Amazon workers at the Smile's warehouse on Rt. 40.

I agree on the weave issues. Found a tweet from MDoT, and asked about that. Interchange is a parclo.

Here's the latest diagram I could find, it looks like the ramps will be channelized to prevent weaving.
👉😎👉

davewiecking

ARMOURERERIC

Will this include an enhanced interchange with I-68?  How will PA respond?

74/171FAN

In regard to US 219 in PA:  https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=2410.msg2749493;topicseen#msg2749493

The I-68 interchange was redone a part of the recent US 219 relocation so I doubt anything further will change there.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

TheOneKEA

I would have rather the funds allocated to the long-planned bypass of downtown Oakland. This project is good but the Oakland Bypass is equally good.

famartin

Quote from: TheOneKEA on October 17, 2022, 10:08:36 PM
I would have rather the funds allocated to the long-planned bypass of downtown Oakland. This project is good but the Oakland Bypass is equally good.

I seem to recall local opposition to that one.

epzik8

Quote from: Alex4897 on October 17, 2022, 11:58:15 AM

https://www.cbsnews.com/baltimore/news/hogan-celebrates-start-of-construction-on-85-million-interchange-in-cecil-county/

If https://tinyurl.com/45z69rhe is any indication, that is going to be one heck of a weave zone between the Chesapeake House and the new interchange and vice versa.

I agree on the weave issues. Found a tweet from MDoT, and asked about that. Interchange is a parclo.

Here's the latest diagram I could find, it looks like the ramps will be channelized to prevent weaving.

Man I've driven through here three times in the last week and didn't know they started building this.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Alps

It looks like there is exactly one impossible movement: SB ramp left turn to head north. Why??

plain

Quote from: Alps on October 18, 2022, 08:21:56 PM

It looks like there is exactly one impossible movement: SB ramp left turn to head north. Why??

That might be a mistake in their drawing. At least I would hope so.
Newark born, Richmond bred

davewiecking

https://mdta.maryland.gov/I-95_At_Belvidere_Road_Interchange/study

That page seems to have much more info than I could find last week. Main purpose is to facilitate truck access to the Principo business park located south of I-95. Perhaps it is intentional that the above-noted movement is omitted.

Editing to add: until "winter 22-23" , the only step seem to be "getting organized" , so it's not surprising that nothing is yet evident from I-95 itself.

Alps

Quote from: plain on October 18, 2022, 08:27:40 PM

I wrote them to that effect to post a clearer drawing since it's entering construction.

Bitmapped

Quote from: TheOneKEA on October 17, 2022, 10:08:36 PM

If PennDOT is going to fund their section now, I'm in favor of MD moving ahead as well. Grantsville to Meyersdale is the last two-lane portion of the US 219 corridor in this area and the existing road in PA could use an upgrade.

I'd have rather seen the Oakland bypass finished than the part that Maryland has already built immediately north of I-68. The Oakland bypass would be useful in taking truck traffic out of downtown. The part that was built by I-68 basically just bypasses a truck stop and, IMHO, made the I-68 interchange worse than what was there before.

Alex4897

Quote from: Alps on October 18, 2022, 09:46:27 PM

I wrote them to that effect to post a clearer drawing since it's entering construction.

I dug a bit more and was able to find the main page for the project here, it looks like the mistake carried over onto their most up-to-date graphics here as well.

Quote from: TheOneKEA on September 19, 2022, 08:56:19 PM
Quote from: epzik8 on September 19, 2022, 09:07:42 AM
Quote from: bluecountry on September 19, 2022, 07:27:49 AM
Are there any plans to make access to 695 from the 95 express lanes, and re-do the 695/95 interchange south of Baltimore to eliminate the left lane exit?

I can't imagine either of these are priorities for MDTA. Adding ramps to I-695 would defeat one of the main purposes of the express lanes as outlined over a decade ago. As for the southwest Beltway interchange, MDTA has seemed content leaving it as it is for a while now.

The southern I-95/695 interchange is owned by MDOT SHA; the MDTA's ownership/responsibility for I-95 ends at a signposted point near the Baltimore City line just to the north of the interchange. The interchange functions adequately in its current form and isn't likely to need any significant modifications for a while.

Installing the missing ramps from the ETL carriage ways to both directions was always intended to happen much later in the future, based on the commentary I read during the early days of the reconstruction of the interchange. My expectation is that they will be built once the ETLs are fully extended to MD 543 and the MDTA's finances are capable of supporting the construction project.

Construction on the ramps tying into the northbound ETL lanes is apparently slated for construction in 2025.

👉😎👉

epzik8

Quote from: Alex4897 on October 19, 2022, 03:20:42 PM

I dug a bit more and was able to find the main page for the project here, it looks like the mistake carried over onto their most up-to-date graphics here as well.

Are there any plans to make access to 695 from the 95 express lanes, and re-do the 695/95 interchange south of Baltimore to eliminate the left lane exit?

I can't imagine either of these are priorities for MDTA. Adding ramps to I-695 would defeat one of the main purposes of the express lanes as outlined over a decade ago. As for the southwest Beltway interchange, MDTA has seemed content leaving it as it is for a while now.

The southern I-95/695 interchange is owned by MDOT SHA; the MDTA's ownership/responsibility for I-95 ends at a signposted point near the Baltimore City line just to the north of the interchange. The interchange functions adequately in its current form and isn't likely to need any significant modifications for a while.

Installing the missing ramps from the ETL carriage ways to both directions was always intended to happen much later in the future, based on the commentary I read during the early days of the reconstruction of the interchange. My expectation is that they will be built once the ETLs are fully extended to MD 543 and the MDTA's finances are capable of supporting the construction project.

Construction on the ramps tying into the northbound ETL lanes is apparently slated for construction in 2025.

Once again, I ought to bite my tongue sometimes.

TheOneKEA

Quote from: ipeters61 on February 27, 2020, 11:36:09 AM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on February 26, 2020, 11:11:06 PM
Quote from: ipeters61 on February 25, 2020, 08:14:02 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on February 25, 2020, 08:03:21 AM
It was not especially easy to find on the MDOT/SHA Web site, but there is indeed a 2018 Highway Location Reference for calendar year 2018 for Baltimore City!  Last one I have seen was back in 2005.  It is here (as the 24th county).

It faithfully includes the 0.14 mile long segment of I-70 that is in the city.
But I thought I-70 ends at I-695:)

When it comes to the extent of state-maintained highways in Maryland, I consider the Highway Location Reference to be canon.
I know it actually ends at the park and ride, don't worry!

Not anymore, apparently! I was looking up info on the reconstruction of the I-70/I-695 stack and discovered that MDOT did finally get around to officially truncating I-70. It's now MD 570, and is documented as such by Mike Pruett and in the Baltimore County HLR (linked here).

I still firmly believe that the crime-ridden, forensically challenged no-go zone of Leakin Park does not quite meet the spirit of the protections offered by Section 4(f) legislation, and that someday a limited-access freeway should be built east of MD 122 deeper into the city. But it won't be a chargeable Interstate if it is built anytime soon, thanks to this truncation.

Duke87

Quote from: TheOneKEA on October 25, 2022, 09:59:12 PM
I still firmly believe that the crime-ridden, forensically challenged no-go zone of Leakin Park does not quite meet the spirit of the protections offered by Section 4(f) legislation

Regardless of what you may think of Leakin Park, when push comes to shove in court the letter of the law matters and the spirit does not.

I would also argue that the true spirit of such legislation was to obstruct the construction of controversial infrastructure projects, so there is no real inconsistency with the spirit here anyway.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

TheOneKEA

Quote from: Duke87 on October 27, 2022, 01:18:54 AM
Quote from: TheOneKEA on October 25, 2022, 09:59:12 PM
I still firmly believe that the crime-ridden, forensically challenged no-go zone of Leakin Park does not quite meet the spirit of the protections offered by Section 4(f) legislation

Regardless of what you may think of Leakin Park, when push comes to shove in court the letter of the law matters and the spirit does not.

I am in complete agreement. Whatever the condition of the park, and whatever has or had happened there, it is still a park and it is still very, very unlikely to ever be affected by the construction of a major highway. I suspect that it will remain as-is for a very, very long time.

Quote from: Duke87 on October 27, 2022, 01:18:54 AM
I would also argue that the true spirit of such legislation was to obstruct the construction of controversial infrastructure projects, so there is no real inconsistency with the spirit here anyway.

That's an interesting argument to make, and a valid one, given the truncation and removal of other highway segments in other locations that were intended to pass through parkland of some sort.

jmacswimmer

Two random Maryland observations:

-I've seen Maryland's use of horizontal arrows for sharp exit ramps discussed in multiple places across the forum, but recently it appears MDOT SHA & MDTA may have started slowly moving away from it. A few MDTA signs on I-95 & I-895 in Baltimore have had the horizontal arrows patched to mostly-but-not-entirely horizontal. Meanwhile MDOT SHA seems to be phasing out some horizontal arrows as signs get replaced, such as exit 15B on I-695 north, but exit 1 on I-195 leaving BWI was also patched (based on observation from earlier this week - there isn't a recent streetview showing the updated arrow patched over the horizontal arrow shown).  There's plenty of other horizontal arrows still out there, but an interesting trend regardless IMHO.

-MDTA finally completed the backlog processing of COVID-deferred video tolls based on a post on the DriveEzMD home page, and with that hopefully the saga of lagging E-ZPass trip postings from MDTA is over. As a reference point, a trip thru the BHT from 10/26 posted today in under 36 hours, which is the shortest MDTA lag time I've had on my account since DriveEzMD went live.

"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

bluecountry

Quote from: Alex4897 on October 19, 2022, 03:20:42 PM

When will they have a SB exit from 95 to 695?

odditude

Quote from: jmacswimmer on October 28, 2022, 01:05:31 PM
Two random Maryland observations:

-I've seen Maryland's use of horizontal arrows for sharp exit ramps discussed in multiple places across the forum, but recently it appears MDOT SHA & MDTA may have started slowly moving away from it. A few MDTA signs on I-95 & I-895 in Baltimore have had the horizontal arrows patched to mostly-but-not-entirely horizontal. Meanwhile MDOT SHA seems to be phasing out some horizontal arrows as signs get replaced, such as exit 15B on I-695 north, but exit 1 on I-195 leaving BWI was also patched (based on observation from earlier this week - there isn't a recent streetview showing the updated arrow patched over the horizontal arrow shown).  There's plenty of other horizontal arrows still out there, but an interesting trend regardless IMHO.

sign replacements at exit 109 mean these horizontal arrows are gone, too

ixnay

MD 818 aka Berlin's Main Street will soon see the start of a repaving.

https://mdcoastdispatch.com/2022/10/27/main-street-paving-to-begin-next-week/

D-Dey65

Does everybody here remember my posts about the liquor stores along US 301, which includes a Jimmie's Paddock liquor store combined with a Citgo gas station in White Plains, Maryland?
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=24933.msg2463733#msg2463733

Well, I know it's late for me to post this (almost a year late), but the last time I drove through White Plains, the gas station was gone.

Maybe somebody read my post and demanded one or the other was closed.

epzik8

Raphel Road on Sunday

davewiecking

Quote from: davewiecking on August 19, 2022, 09:53:26 AM
Triple Bridges website: http://bit.ly/TripleBridges. Design-Build. No details yet. D-B team to be selected early 2024.

Have a survey:
https://twitter.com/mdsha/status/1590479792230604801

74/171FAN

I think that this sign on MD 210 is the only time that a route reference in text has been on a speed limit sign that I know of.  (https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10217882421412692&set=a.10217882434013007)
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.