News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Maryland

Started by Alps, May 22, 2011, 12:10:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

74/171FAN

Quote from: epzik8 on July 26, 2022, 08:09:03 AM
Quote from: mrsman on July 22, 2022, 07:37:59 PM
And this roadway is an expressway, not a freeway.  The new part will still have at-grade intersections in certain locations, but no signals except at Frederick Road and at the I-70 on ramps.

What about those flashing yellows like on 301 on the Eastern Shore?
I do not remember seeing any offhand.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

lepidopteran

Does the newly widened section of Route 32 have any "loons", as shown on the plans?

A loon is, according to http://www.cmtran.com/what-is-a-loon (a drawing and more details are on the page),
Quote...pavement that is constructed outside of the normal traffic lanes to allow for larger vehicles to safely make a U-turn on a divided roadway.

There are apparently 1 or 2 of these bulb-like turning areas, each paired with the median breaks for the "Michigan lefts" associated with the remaining at-grade intersections.

A loon is also a cool-looking species of black-and-white waterfowl, but these are only found at more northern latitudes.

TheOneKEA

Quote from: lepidopteran on July 28, 2022, 01:51:00 AM
Does the newly widened section of Route 32 have any "loons", as shown on the plans?

A loon is, according to http://www.cmtran.com/what-is-a-loon (a drawing and more details are on the page),
Quote...pavement that is constructed outside of the normal traffic lanes to allow for larger vehicles to safely make a U-turn on a divided roadway.

There are apparently 1 or 2 of these bulb-like turning areas, each paired with the median breaks for the "Michigan lefts" associated with the remaining at-grade intersections.

A loon is also a cool-looking species of black-and-white waterfowl, but these are only found at more northern latitudes.

Yes, there are two sets of them. One set is at an un-marked "For Authorized Use Only" crossover north of the emergency half-intersection with the entrance to the SHA and Howard County maintenance facilities. The other set is at a fully signposted superstreet turnaround, and is located north of the Middle Patuxent River beyond the dual bridge spans over a small tributary of that river. The rumble strips are continuous across both sets of loons on both sides of the dual carriage way.

davewiecking

Quote from: lepidopteran on July 28, 2022, 01:51:00 AM

When MD-404 was 4-laned last decade, SHA called these "J-turns" .

Henry

My preferred term is "Michigan left", because I'm a native Midwesterner. But I think "loon" is a more creative one, since I never heard of it being used on this forum until now. (FWIW, Carpenter Marty Transportation, where the term "loon" came from, has offices in Columbus, OH; Charleston, WV; and Cincinnati, OH.)
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

lepidopteran

I thought that the "loon" referred specifically to the additional, bump-out of pavement to help facilitate the U-turn associated with the Michigan Left.  They are not found, for example, on the 2 J-turns connected to MD-3/Crain Hwy. and Waugh Chapel Rd, since the roadways there are already wide enough that most vehicles can turn around without hitting the opposing curb or ditch.

I first read about the term loon in an ODOT report about a new superstreet section of US-35, now apparently home to the only remaining signalized, at-grade intersections between I-75 in Dayton and I-64 near Charleston, WV.

froggie

Quote from: Henry on July 28, 2022, 10:39:26 AM
My preferred term is "Michigan left", because I'm a native Midwesterner. But I think "loon" is a more creative one, since I never heard of it being used on this forum until now. (FWIW, Carpenter Marty Transportation, where the term "loon" came from, has offices in Columbus, OH; Charleston, WV; and Cincinnati, OH.)

I'm a native Midwesterner as well, but we don't call them "Michigan Lefts" .  Technically, they aren't to begin with.

mrsman

Quote from: jmacswimmer on July 23, 2022, 11:45:42 AM
I drove that stretch about a month ago, at which point each direction of MD 32 was on the final carriageway but with the left lane coned off pending final paving & marking. Glad to hear it's fully opened now.

I wonder if the I-70 interchange will ever be revisited in the future - IIRC, there were previously larger plans for that interchange before being slimmed down to simply a 2nd left-turn lane for MD 32 NB -> I-70 WB.

The outgoing Gov. Hogan is largely responsible for very pro-highway policies.  Toll reductions and highway expansions, including this project, are largely a result of his policies. 

I believe that very likely further improvements would have to be a priority of the next governor.  Improvements to MD-32/I-70 interchange are certainly warranted, but to be implemented, it would have to be a funding priority of the next governor.  I would venture to guess that if a Democrat wins the election, transportation funding would be more heavily focused on transit and alternative transit as opposed to roads.  While there may still be funding to complete projects already in progress and for maintenance (like repaving), I doubt that we will see new funding for expansion projects in a Democrat administration.

So if Wes Moore is our new governor, I don't think we will see improvements to this interchange or any progress on the 270/495 HOT lanes, but we will probably see some funding for East-West transit in Baltimore.

kernals12

Quote from: mrsman on July 31, 2022, 05:55:28 PM
Quote from: jmacswimmer on July 23, 2022, 11:45:42 AM
I drove that stretch about a month ago, at which point each direction of MD 32 was on the final carriageway but with the left lane coned off pending final paving & marking. Glad to hear it's fully opened now.

I wonder if the I-70 interchange will ever be revisited in the future - IIRC, there were previously larger plans for that interchange before being slimmed down to simply a 2nd left-turn lane for MD 32 NB -> I-70 WB.

The outgoing Gov. Hogan is largely responsible for very pro-highway policies.  Toll reductions and highway expansions, including this project, are largely a result of his policies. 

I believe that very likely further improvements would have to be a priority of the next governor.  Improvements to MD-32/I-70 interchange are certainly warranted, but to be implemented, it would have to be a funding priority of the next governor.  I would venture to guess that if a Democrat wins the election, transportation funding would be more heavily focused on transit and alternative transit as opposed to roads.  While there may still be funding to complete projects already in progress and for maintenance (like repaving), I doubt that we will see new funding for expansion projects in a Democrat administration.

So if Wes Moore is our new governor, I don't think we will see improvements to this interchange or any progress on the 270/495 HOT lanes, but we will probably see some funding for East-West transit in Baltimore.

I thought Moore flip flopped to supporting the 270/495 toll lanes

ixnay

The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

74/171FAN

I guess the official ceremony was today.  The opening was so three weeks ago  (https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=24933.msg2757174#msg2757174).   :D
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

jmacswimmer

Meanwhile a little further west on I-70 from MD 32, exit 59 is now a complete interchange as of Tuesday...the new eastbound offramp opened that morning (and I coincidentally drove thru the interchange later that day).

https://www.roads.maryland.gov/mdotsha/pages/pressreleasedetails.aspx?newsId=4314&PageId=818
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

TheOneKEA

Quote from: jmacswimmer on August 05, 2022, 09:09:43 AM
Meanwhile a little further west on I-70 from MD 32, exit 59 is now a complete interchange as of Tuesday...the new eastbound offramp opened that morning (and I coincidentally drove thru the interchange later that day).

https://www.roads.maryland.gov/mdotsha/pages/pressreleasedetails.aspx?newsId=4314&PageId=818

What an improvement! I was always irked by the lack of a complete interchange at this location. I understand why it was like that but I don't fully understand why it took this long to build the missing ramps. I suppose it had to do with the increase in development along Frederick Road east of the interchange.

jmacswimmer

Quote from: TheOneKEA on August 05, 2022, 02:26:17 PM
Quote from: jmacswimmer on August 05, 2022, 09:09:43 AM

What an improvement! I was always irked by the lack of a complete interchange at this location. I understand why it was like that but I don't fully understand why it took this long to build the missing ramps. I suppose it had to do with the increase in development along Frederick Road east of the interchange.

The boldfaced is exactly why - my understanding is that MDOT SHA would have gotten around to it eventually, but likely not for several more years, if they had funded this themselves. However, both this new EB offramp and the WB onramp that opened a few years ago were funded by developers (presumably a condition stipulated in the approved traffic impact study for the continuing development around Oakdale High School).
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

RoadPelican

2 Questions:

Is the Speed Limit on the MD 32 Freeway from I-97 to Columbia (still 55)?

Also, what is the Speed Limit on the new widened section (MD 108 to I-70)?

74/171FAN

Quote from: RoadPelican on August 07, 2022, 02:47:51 PM
2 Questions:

Is the Speed Limit on the MD 32 Freeway from I-97 to Columbia (still 55)?

Also, what is the Speed Limit on the new widened section (MD 108 to I-70)?

Yes, and mostly 55 but I believe that it reduces as it approaches I-70.

sprjus4

Since the newly widened portion was built as a non-limited-access highway, it would be restricted to 55 mph. Realistically, it can probably handle 70 mph, but state law would not allow anything over 55 mph.

jmacswimmer

Re: I-95 Fort McHenry Tunnel AET conversion:

Peaking at one of the traffic cams in the area shows that the new gantries were finally installed within the past few days, with the actual tolling equipment not yet mounted on the gantries.

Screenshots from 2 of the traffic cams in the area:

The southbound toll gantry, located just before the tunnel portals. The northbound toll gantry is slightly offset & located just behind the vantage point of this camera.

The southbound toll gantry viewed from the other side. While not readily visible, the northbound toll gantry is immediately behind the gantry spanning the entire highway that has VMS's on the southbound side & toll signage on the northbound side. Also visible in the distance is progress on the partial toll plaza demolition, which per July 2022-streetview appears to be almost ready to go as soon as the AET equipment is mounted & tested.
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

davewiecking

Triple Bridges website: http://bit.ly/TripleBridges. Design-Build. No details yet. D-B team to be selected early 2024.

MASTERNC

Drove through the ETL expansion project. Looks like speed cameras will be coming to 95 south around MD 152, though not sure what they are doing that would warrant them. I did see some median work closer to White Marsh, and there is the overhead bridge work for 152, but that's it.

Congestion is definitely getting worse on 95 SB. There was a backup from near Bel Air to Aberdeen at 3 PM on a Saturday. Seems to be routine now. It always breaks up suddenly at the top of the hill before MD 24, but it's hard to believe slow moving trucks are the cause.

epzik8

Quote from: jmacswimmer on August 18, 2022, 11:36:25 AM
Re: I-95 Fort McHenry Tunnel AET conversion:

Peaking at one of the traffic cams in the area shows that the new gantries were finally installed within the past few days, with the actual tolling equipment not yet mounted on the gantries.

Screenshots from 2 of the traffic cams in the area:

The southbound toll gantry, located just before the tunnel portals. The northbound toll gantry is slightly offset & located just behind the vantage point of this camera.

The southbound toll gantry viewed from the other side. While not readily visible, the northbound toll gantry is immediately behind the gantry spanning the entire highway that has VMS's on the southbound side & toll signage on the northbound side. Also visible in the distance is progress on the partial toll plaza demolition, which per July 2022-streetview appears to be almost ready to go as soon as the AET equipment is mounted & tested.

I never realized the bores' entrances were staggered like that.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

epzik8

Few days late, but Marty Bass was at the Hanover sign shop this week for a WJZ segment.
https://twitter.com/MDSHA/status/1562069757892911104
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

kernals12

Quote from: epzik8 on August 27, 2022, 06:34:54 PM
Few days late, but Marty Bass was at the Hanover sign shop this week for a WJZ segment.
https://twitter.com/MDSHA/status/1562069757892911104

that looks like an old font

TheOneKEA

There's no sign of any construction progress on the Sheetz near BWI Airport, and no project entries have been added to the MDOT SHA Project Portal home page to document any proposed alterations to MD 170 or MD 995. I had expected construction to be fairly advanced by now.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.